No power to pool pump

akescpt

Honorary Master
So I need to put something in the timers place. So I see three wires going into the timer and two going out to the pump (right bottom). So what component needs to replace the timer to facilitate the pump engaging when I flip the pool switch.

Db is wired into that main switch. I’ve never used that light switch. Had issues in the last while where you flip the pool switch and nothing happens. But then some time afterwards the pump just jumps into life so I suspect the timer has finally died.

Going later to get a cheap multimeter to check if the wire from the fb is ‘alive’.

Help!

Attachments

• 6C480E24-614F-4838-9CDD-AD4BDE0626F0.jpeg
    6C480E24-614F-4838-9CDD-AD4BDE0626F0.jpeg
    961.3 KB · Views: 58

spiff

Executive Member
So I need to put something in the timers place. So I see three wires going into the timer and two going out to the pump (right bottom). So what component needs to replace the timer to facilitate the pump engaging when I flip the pool switch.

Db is wired into that main switch. I’ve never used that light switch. Had issues in the last while where you flip the pool switch and nothing happens. But then some time afterwards the pump just jumps into life so I suspect the timer has finally died.

Going later to get a cheap multimeter to check if the wire from the fb is ‘alive’.

Help!
Get a sonoff WiFi relay - then you can operate the pump from your phone anytime anywhere.

LaraC

Honorary Master
When you switch it on do you hear a humming sound from the motor?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Those timers only work IF power to the timer is permanently on. So the timer needs to be set to the current time of day IF you have cut the power. Hence every time there is LS, the timer will lose its time.
Then you need to check the programming. When it is set to be ON and when off and how many times in its cycle.
THEN look for a bypass switch on the timer IF you want the pool to run independently of the timer. ALL those timers have a bypass setting.

PS. It is called RTFM! Of course, you need to have kept the manual to do that. Those timers are almost indestructible so very unlikely that there is anything wrong with any of the switches or the timer.

akescpt

Honorary Master
Those timers only work IF power to the timer is permanently on. So the timer needs to be set to the current time of day IF you have cut the power. Hence every time there is LS, the timer will lose its time.
Then you need to check the programming. When it is set to be ON and when off and how many times in its cycle.
THEN look for a bypass switch on the timer IF you want the pool to run independently of the timer. ALL those timers have a bypass setting.

PS. It is called RTFM! Of course, you need to have kept the manual to do that. Those timers are almost indestructible so very unlikely that there is anything wrong with any of the switches or the timer.

I’ve been operating it manually since we bought the place. Going to check where the timers at now compared to the pic. That switch hasn’t moved at all.

Going to buy a meltimeter. To see where the electricity stops.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
If the CB is down as in your PIC, the timer WILL NOT move! The CB must be permanently ON for the timer to maintain its time and run.
That is why the timer has a bypass switch on it. That is what should be used if you want to run the pool manually, and still be able to switch it over to automatic on-demand. The CB is not the way to do that in that particular installation.

Loose connection probably responsible for intermittent working.

Last edited:

akescpt

Honorary Master
If the CB is down as in your PIC, the timer WILL NOT move! The CB must be permanently ON for the timer to maintain its time and run.
That is why the timer has a bypass switch on it. That is what should be used if you want to run the pool manually, and still be able to switch it over to automatic on-demand. The CB is not the way to do that in that particular installation.

I’ve been switching it off from the main DB all the time to operate the pump manually.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The Pink wire is "Live" and on the pump, it is probably the blue-grey wire.
The blue wire is neutral which needs to be connected to the black neutral wires as per LaraC's wiring changes.

we don't talk about "positive and negative" in AC installations, but "live" and "neutral".

krycor

Honorary Master
Get a sonoff WiFi relay - then you can operate the pump from your phone anytime anywhere.

Just remember that the pool pump pulls a lot of power.. unless u get a 16A switch u likely gonna need some relay and have the sonoff drive that.

spiff

Executive Member
Just remember that the pool pump pulls a lot of power.. unless u get a 16A switch u likely gonna need some relay and have the sonoff drive that.
I've been using a sonoff 16amp as is for over a year now without any issues.

But yes you can use the sonoff to pull a larger capacity relay.

Grouter

Executive Member
There are no "on" and "off" activator tabs on that timer wheel - in other words, nothing to turn it on and nothing to turn it off. It will just go round and round doing nothing...

maumau

Honorary Master
There are no "on" and "off" activator tabs on that timer wheel - in other words, nothing to turn it on and nothing to turn it off. It will just go round and round doing nothing...

Are you sure? @Geoff has circled the tabs. He would have noticed.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
I was going to say the same thing. There is no on and off tabs to click the timer into position.