Prof.Merlin

Expert Member
So for each new road that gets upgraded and tolled, can a portion of the actual fee we pay for roads that is part of petrol be reduced?

Creag

The Boar's Rock
So for each new road that gets upgraded and tolled, can a portion of the actual fee we pay for roads that is part of petrol be reduced?

You're kidding, right? You're asking for the government to reduce their slush fund. Not going to happen.

The_MAC

Executive Member
“It is not foreseen that these 3 toll gantries will be erected in the near future,” Mona said.

Near future meaning before Easter.

Not only will these 3 gantries go up, there will be a gantry on every single major highway in all the Metros. Thats how a business works, if they see it is making money, they will invest more into the project.

wombling

That's odd. I am sure there are more gantries than there are "upgraded" roads. Maintaining a road is not an upgrade, thus resurface etc is not an upgrade. They certainly didn't add new lanes to the entire route that is being tolled.

Every time a moron at Sanral opens their mouths, all I hear is "Your argument is invalid, blah blah blah, just pay us."

system32

Executive Member
Tolls are not levied on road sections unless they have been upgraded
OK, so if I ride on the original 3 lanes of the N3, I don't pay, if I happen to stray onto the upgraded 4th lane I pay?

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
So where then does my fuel levee money go.
Can I PLEASE get a F&^&*@@ refund.

vicv

Expert Member
So one day they're actually gonna do some work on Old Jhb Road and then slap some toll gates on it?

cfilorux

I beg to differ

Um, why then is there an e-toll gantry on the R24? http://goo.gl/maps/uQiGJ -- this road was not touched. You get tolled for driving to Kempton Park on the R24 / R21 which was there, unless you come from the Airport on the R21, in which case you are not tolled. What else were we not tolled?

Last edited:

j4ck455

Executive Member
It's interesting that Woosy Moaner is now using this "upgraded" lingo instead of "improved" considering that the GF[highlight]IP[/highlight] was supposed to have been an [highlight]Improvements Project[/highlight], the difference might seem like trivial semantics but there are parts of the N1 that have definitely not been improved and can arguably be said to be worse than ever, the section between Rivonia and William Nicol comes to mind.

Woosy Moaner needs to supply MyBB with a written definition of what SCAMRAL considers to be a road "upgrade".

Is painting road markings on after the previous road markings have completely faded, considered to be an upgrade?

Is putting up etrolling signs considered to be an upgrade?

Is slapping on a sub-standard layer of tar on top of existing concrete lanes considered to be an upgrade?

Is putting up lights along the freeway and then not changing the blown light bulbs considered to be an upgrade or something that should have been there to start with for the sake of road safety?

Road maintenance that is supposed to be done regularly as well as making roads safer are not upgrades, these are essential services that aren't supposed to be a one time thing which SCAMRAL then charges people for even after they have died.

Last edited:

Kuhlkatz

The N1 between Jhb and Centurion had a duct in the centre that allowed drainage of excess water, which was closed up to allow for some extra road surface. The ribbed concrete surface that allowed some natural drainage of water while still providing traction was also buggered up by applying the sub-standard layer of tar over the concrete.
In the normal Gauteng thunderstorms the N1 now becomes a series of small rivers which causes havoc and forces traffic to slow down even more than before the upgrade.

All the Freeway lanes are narrower than before and no vehicle can safely stop in the emergency lanes if it breaks down. Emergency vehicles and the 'Blue Light Brigade' that occasionally attempt to make use of the emergency lane causes serious confusion for the average motorist, especially due to the fact that they are forced to squeeze into or merge with the traffic lanes at times.

My peak hour commute still takes an hour between Centurion and Sandton - same as before the upgrade.

The only improvement I can see 'sort of working', is the Allandale offramp which was needed in any case due to the growth explosion in Midrand. That has no direct impact on my life anyway, and should be part of standard City Planning if officials actually do their jobs instead of just filling seats and lining their pockets.

This 'upgrade' used about the same amount of planning, insight and brain power as the concept of the traffic 'calming' lights that was slapped onto each onramp a while ago.

There is no way in hell anyone will convince me that this was an 'improvement' that requires me to pay for it.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
I'd like to know why these "upgrades" didn't include new offramps?

Right from N1 North on 14th up to past new road there are plenty new off ramps needed. The current ones just can't cope.