Nokia 7 plus

isie

Honorary Master
Just updated my phone. How does one really know what the changes are? You see they talk about notification changes , but everything looks like it is the same
lol very arbitrary but the only change we noticed is when you click on the temperature on the home screen widget (the date and weather weather widget i can't recall whats the name now) it takes you directly to the weather app - this used to work but the previous update messed it up - now its working

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Me too. Noticed my battery life is much better now after the update.
My battery life is the same, not really noticed any changes. Just happy about security patches compared to my old LG, actually it got a security patch a week after I stopped using it for the first time in 1.5y...

upup

Executive Member
What kind of battery does the nokia 7 plus have. Uncle Google just say a "3800mAh battery "

upup

Executive Member
  • Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) Batteries. ...
  • Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) Batteries. ...
  • Lithium Polymer (Li-Poly) Batteries
Which of these

upup

Executive Member
Local mtn dealer say she cannot source nokia 7 plus, but it is on mtn direct site, ordered one, waiting for mtn to contact me.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
What kind of battery does the nokia 7 plus have. Uncle Google just say a "3800mAh battery "
Non-removable Li-Ion 3800 mAh battery
https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_7_plus-9058.php

EDIT:
Is One Better than the Other?

Both lithium-ion and lithium-polymer batteries have their pros and cons. Typically, the advantages of a lithium-ion is their high power density, lack of what’s called the memory effect (when batteries become harder to charge over time), and their significantly lower cost than lithium-polymer. In the words of Wired, “Lithium-ion batteries are incredibly efficient. They stuff freakish amounts of energy in a tiny package.” But, as anyone might have seen with the recent saga of a certain cellphone brand being banned from flights, lithium-ion batteries are inherently unstable, suffer from aging, and are potentially dangerous. If the barrier that separates the positive and negative electrode is ever breached, the chemical reaction can cause combustion (fire). As Li-ion batteries have become more popular in consumer electronics, businesses have tried to lower costs by cutting corners. While quality batteries are perfectly safe, you should always be careful when buying no-name brands.
http://blog.ravpower.com/2017/06/lithium-ion-vs-lithium-polymer-batteries/
But from same article:
The catch is that plenty of companies are not actually selling you a true Li-Po battery, instead it’s a lithium-ion polymer battery, or a Li-ion in a more flexible casing
Plus it has a link above to the below:
Okay, but what about lithium-polymer batteries?

This is where it gets interesting. It turns out that what marketing departments are calling “Lithium-polymer batteries” are actually “Lithium-ion polymer” batteries.

What the heck does that mean?

In short, it means that so-called “lithium-polymer” batteries are almost exactly the same as lithium-ion batteries, but they are instead contained in a flexible polymer casing. It’s basically just a repackaged lithium-ion battery. There is another difference according to batteryuniversity.com:
https://scottiestech.info/2015/06/21/lithium-polymer-vs-lithium-ion-batteries-whats-the-deal/
EDIT2:
Btw, do you know of any phones with "Li-Po" batteries? E.g. S10 doesn't: https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s10-9536.php , neither does the iPhone XS: https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_xs-9318.php.

Only one is Huawei (randomly checked the P30 Pro), which as mentioned above is not an actual Li-Po battery, but a fake/marketing one.

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
So I've been using the device for about a month now, so going to do a quick review of my thoughts on the device.

Note this phone comes with a quick charger and a plastic bumper case which I have on permanently.

Battery life:
Pretty good.
1555323518994.png
Should have made a picture last night, but on average I have no problem going through a day's usage.
Yesterday I was mostly reading academic papers on my phone off of my Google Drive, I got about 11h30min of screen on time before reaching 16%.
Battery charging uses Quick Charge 3 (think 3, all Snapdragon 660 and 630 have it, the 630 is a worse binned 660 basically), so can get to half battery in about 10 minutes. It's actually gotten to that point where I charge my phone after I get up and just let it charge while I have breakfast, will be fully charged within the 35 minutes I get out of the house.

Display:
Full HD display with a 402ppi, it's pretty good. I like the fact that it's not OLED, but putting it next to the Samsung S9 and the iPhone X, really can't tell that much difference between them, the flagships are better when you want to get to higher brightness, but color accuracy and detail, they're all similar. I should actually compare to the Samsung A9 (2018) I also have, it's in a slightly higher price bracket, but also mid-tier, so will mostly compare to that. Imho, I like the Nokia 7 Plus's display over the A9, I find the A9 display a little worse for light images, but better dark. This is probably a preference thing. In sunlight, the A9 is definitely better, but the 7 Plus is fine in sun.

Design:
I really like the look of this phone, the copper accents just look gorgeous. Wish they could have made the screen's bezels slightly smaller, but pretty happy they didn't go notch.
My biggest gripe is the weight of this phone, it's pretty heavy, I'm coming from an LG K10 2017 at 144g vs this 183g. It's nicely balanced, but after extended usage it's a lot. Similar weight to the iPhone X, that one is 174g. I'd probably make sure my next phone is plastic again, not a fan of glass as I hate the fingerprint smudging.

Camera:
Get the Google Camera app from here: https://nokiapoweruser.com/google-camera-apk-download-for-nokia-smartphones/ . It is definitely better than the Nokia camera, especially things like night mode. The camera is substantially better than the Samsung A9, the only thing I am sad about is the lack of an ultrawide, coming from LG phones like the G5. It's nice to see that modern flagships and even mid range are now incorporating it, hopefully my next phone will have one.
Video with the stabilizer is good but only works at 1080p, portrait images in crowds are amazing due to Google's software (blurring the background). Night shots are really good again due to Google's camera app, substantially better than the grainy A9. The Nokia camera app is also generally better than the A9's stock camera app, but I rarely use it unless I want to use the telephoto lens whereby the digital zoom of the Google App is usually more than good enough.

Connectivity:
I really want to mention this, there is currently a bug for WiFi that's supposedly going to be addressed soon. If you have a 5GHz and 2.4GHz network combined/same SSID, the phone will connect to the 5GHz first, but if you walk into bad signal and back out again, it will not swap back to 5GHz.
Bluetooth is pretty nice though, phone supports Qualcomm Aptx, noticeable improvement actually. Also nice that I can have multiple devices connected, since I always have my watch as well. With my old BT4 device, it would sometimes stutter a little when my watch syncs/I receive a message, no longer.

Performance:
Good, have never noticed lag/stuttering. I can come back from swapping between documents and not have it lost in memory unless it's been quite a while or a lot of other stuff opened as well (by a lot, I am talking about like 15x~55MB pdf documents I opened yesterday, even my PC has problems sometimes resuming instantly, not going to fault the phone for this).

Software:
Android One, 9 Pie. It's stock. I come from an LG device, the only thing you'll miss is clipboard, which you can download Swift Key for and use its clipboard feature and I like the dark theme where the buttons aren't all flat design/keys without borders of Google Keyboard.
1555325039040.png
Gestures like being able to use the fingerprint sensor to swipe down at the back so you don't have to reach to the top are also nice, use it all the time. The card layout's curved borders are pretty nice, the fact that your reply/conversation in the notifications stays after messaging so you have a history of the chat while typing back and forth, etc. makes Android 9 so much better.
Also like the "trusted devices", if a trusted device is connected your phone won't lock, I like this feature as I wear a smart watch. You'll still need fingerprint authentication for e.g. bank app login, so I'm fine with it.

New gesture system, I got used to it quite quickly, actually nice unless you have too many apps open, then scrolling becomes an issue. You'll have to enable it in settings.

Storage space of 64GB is "good enough", I use Google Photo's "high quality" upload, have an uncapped 100/100Mbps line at home so not an issue. The option to add an expansion slot allowed me to easily transfer all my old stuff over, so currently have about 70GB free since 64GB phone and 64GB micro SD card, both half full.

Games wise, don't really play anything, Soul Knight is pretty much it, that runs fine, but it also did on my old phone.

Software updates, got the March security update, but supposedly there hadn't been an update in 3 months before that? Think it's the Telkom holding up the process though, since the official site has basically a security update every month.

Other:
GPS is also good that it finds its location fast, have seen a lot of phones with issues in regards to this.

Microphone is pretty good, especially due to the surround sound. Speakers though are okay at best, they sound quite tinny, base is meh as well. They are phone speakers and I always use headphones or have BT speakers scattered around the house, so I'm quite biased. It's got an aux port though, so really not a problem.

I like this phone and am quite happy with it, especially at R369pm with the Telkom 1GB FreeMe.

Attachments

upup

Executive Member
Got my phone yesterday. When you get a new samsung, and someone wants to see your phone you can show them how the phone unlock with your face and some other funny things it can do.
This is a phone, outside well build, inside is android.