Nokia Meego Devices to run Android Apps

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
http://www.gsmarena.com/alien_dalvik_will_let_you_run_android_apps_on_the_nokia_n9-news-2813.php

In case you were worried about application support for the N9, you have one less reason to worry now. Along with applications created specifically for the phone, you will even be able to run Android applications on it.

Thanks to a little something called the Alien Dalvik, a software that lets you run unmodified Android application on non-Android devices. All the developers have to do is repackage the .apk files and the applications can be used on other devices running Alien Dalvik. The application is able to utilize the full potential of the hardware and the user experience is virtually identical to that of using it on regular Android device. The software emulates the hardware controls on Android devices so the application can be controlled on non-Android devices.

According to Myriad, the developers of Alien Dalvik, it will be made available for MeeGo sometime later this year.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Ai Rouxenator....just drop Nokia and get a proper Android! :)

BeVonk!

Executive Member
When I read about Android apps running on MeeGo yesterday my first thought was "Great, so there will be plenty apps for the N9, an option then ..." ... but then the question came up: "Why get a non-Android device to run Android apps? If the majority of apps is going to be Android then rather get an Android device in the first place".

Silent_Bob

Expert Member
When I read about Android apps running on MeeGo yesterday my first thought was "Great, so there will be plenty apps for the N9, an option then ..." ... but then the question came up: "Why get a non-Android device to run Android apps? If the majority of apps is going to be Android then rather get an Android device in the first place".

I was thinking the same thing, but at the end of the day, if MeeGo runs better than Android that is totally awesome you can grab Android Apps. It means that you now don't have the issue that you had with Symbian, every time I upgraded my Symbian Nokia, there was a huge lack of apps, which was part of the reason I moved towards Android in the first place. I have been a Nokia fan for years, their flagship devices generally are powerful devices, but the OS was holding them back.
I am disappointed that Nokia have taken so long to come to the party, but they are coming & I really hope that they and Intel really keep bettering the OS so there is more competition between iOS, Android and Windows Phone 7

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member

Exactly what i was thinking, and with Android Ice Cream Sandwich around the corner with full multi-core support across the whole OS you might as well get a multi-core droid, it will perform far better than the ALREADY outdated N9.

IMO, the N9 and N950 are going to be very late to the game. Remember when the N900 arrived? Its CPU/GPU and majority of other hardware were ahead of the best Android at the time (HTC Hero).

battletoad

Expert Member
keep in mind that this 'amount of apps' business is huge when it comes to marketing, altho very few people use any apps after say the 5000th most popular app. so this VM ticks that box (granted one needs to repackage a few apps but if you want it you'll get it to work).

the only other things to consider then are the hardware/features of the phone and the responsiveness of the OS. Nokia can definitely produce feature-heavy phones so thats not a concern. This leaves the question of how good Meego is as an OS, and by extension how well it compares to Android, which would be the only useful debate (apart from how good/optimised this VM is).

I think nokia's strategy for the future is going to be, if the WP7 collab is not a failure for them:
1. Release WP7 phone.
2. make a Meego variant of their popular WP7 phones since meego is 'a hobby'.
3. rinse and repeat.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
Well if some dev gets Android on it, and I am sure someone will, then it might still end up as a cool toy.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
Well at least ASUS got a X101 for the Meego fans that wants a cheap netbook to go with the phone.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110627PD206.html

Asustek Computer will start marketing its low-priced netbook, the Eee PC X101, in July with models running on MeeGo available at US$199 and those running on Windows 7 available at US$310-350, according to industry sources.

The Eee PC X101 is powered by an Intel low-power Atom N435 1.33GHz single-core CPU, the sources noted.

Other branded notebook vendors including Acer, Lenovo and Samsung Electronics also plan to launch Atom N435/MeeGo-based netbooks soon, said the sources, noting that the Atom 435 netbooks released by Asustek and Acer will also support Intel's AppUp Center technology.

[video=youtube;Z-0mPVMESf8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-0mPVMESf8[/video]