Nokia N9

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
What? This thing is running freaking Meego! The OS Nokia dumped for WP7. I had just assumed it was running WP7. I don't know about this strategy ...

boramk

Bammed
What good are the specs when the Nokia has hardly any apps to run on?

This would have been like the best phone ever... 4 years ago.

Rands

Expert Member
its a pity Nokia does'nt know what the hell its doing anymore, the N8 is a really nice phone, & the N9 loks even better. but the OS!

isie

Honorary Master
kind of odd they would release a meego phone after they anounced they droping in favour of winmo7 ,

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Very odd. Everyone knows they're on the verge of abandoning it. Some of the screenshots looked kinda WP7-ey which fooled me.

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Problem is why would developers jump on board when they know Nokia's switch to WP7 is imminent?

BeVonk!

Executive Member
This is just crazy. We've read several articles where the story is told about Elop and his white-board exercise whereon time lines were drawn from feedback received from the MeeGo team ... the end result being that MeeGo was booted out. We knew they had the N9 in a well-advanced state of development and now Nokia decided to market the device anyway DESPITE .... . What is going on here? Arrogant enough to try to recoup the money it cost them to develop and manufacture a dead horse?

scotty777

...doesn't know
How is Nokia that stupid??? There's two good examples of how a really popular, and power OS (that is now well established) can make a company slipping down the profit ladder, turn around and make a comeback...

LG and Motorola weren't really trading blows with anyone, they were literally just competing from the outside... but now, after adopting Android, they both making a massive comeback.

No one knows meego, let a lone develops apps, and right now, the biggest selling feature of a phone would be the fact that you can get apps for everything.

Also, the N9 is using pretty out dated cpu/gpu tech... Hmmm, nokia is really losing the plot if you ask me :eek:

g-star

Lovely looking phone I must say. UI looks smooth. Comes down to what software this will support (QT?)

Maddmatt

Expert Member
the end result being that MeeGo was booted out.
Nokia stopped being a developer on Meego, but that doesn't necessarily mean the end of it. Intel is still developing it and any manufacturer is free to use it, just like with Android.

Rands

Expert Member
I still cannot understand why they just did'nt go with Android & save their backsides. Imagine if the N9 ran Android?

Sherbang

Executive Member
I still cannot understand why they just did'nt go with Android & save their backsides. Imagine if the N9 ran Android?
Why must everything run Android? What would differentiate it from every other Android phone?

Last edited:

Rands

Expert Member
Why must everything run Android? What would differentiate it from every other Android phone?
cos its the lesser of 3 evils

edit - and this :

LG and Motorola weren't really trading blows with anyone, they were literally just competing from the outside... but now, after adopting Android, they both making a massive comeback.
(Scoty777)

Last edited:

Sherbang

Executive Member
cos its the lesser of 3 evils

edit - and this :

(Scoty777)
Mobile OS's are evil? WTF?
More choice is always good.
LG & Motorola may have made a comeback (of sorts) but people aren't going to buy a phone because it's an LG or a Motorola, they'll buy it because they want an android phone and will buy whatever's cheaper or has the specs they are looking for, irrespective of who the manufacturer is. As more phones come out with android, it becomes more fragmented. Already, you need to know what version of android a phone is using, will this work, will that work, does it support this or that - as more and more hardware developers adopt it, it will either become more and more fragmented in different versions, or, all phones must be standardized to work with one android and there will be less to distinguish one phone from another - no space for one manufacturer to innovate with functionality that isn't 'standard'. I think Nokia was correct to not adopt Android, they have no need to make a comeback they just have to regain some lost ground. They have always been an incredibly innovative company, holding many of the patents that every cellphone uses - competing with android is the better option for them, otherwise they would become just another android device.

Maddmatt

Expert Member
By running Meego it actually brings something new to the Market. Meego can run Android apps too.
I really hope Meego takes off like Android did. Like Android it's an open OS that is fully accessible to hackers/developers. I actually wish Nokia made it their primary OS instead of making WP7 phones which are all identical no matter who makes them.