Nootropics

saor

Honorary Master
If you're talking pharmaceutical nootropics ('racetams etc.)....

My experience and what feels like the experience of most people: Dabble in a bunch of random chemicals for a few months and decide it's not really worth the cost and hassle.

Tomtomtom

If you're talking pharmaceutical nootropics ('racetams etc.)....

My experience and what feels like the experience of most people: Dabble in a bunch of random chemicals for a few months and decide it's not really worth the cost and hassle.

Same. Problem is, if it actually does something exciting, there are two options:

1. it's an ancient chemical that's been through moral and religious panics, so it's a regulated commodity or it's banned (See: nicotine, alcohol, cocaine.)
2. drug companies have gotten involved, and the compound is scheduled, requiring prescription etc. (See: alprazolam, methylphenidate.)

I reckon if there's an interesting nootropic it'll tend to be on its way to getting regulated/banned due to (1) or (2). (See: tianeptine. Also maybe a modafinil variation?)

The rest might have tiny effects over long periods of time but you're likely to run out of money before you benefit. Or, they're so cheap and ubiquitous you're already taking them. (See: caffeine, theanine.)

Last edited:

Meister-Man

Not a nootropic, but creatine monohydrate has proven in studies to have cognitive benefits. Plus it's cheap, cheap

newklear

Expert Member
I've been taking Modafinil on off for around 8 years now, which is a wakefulness promoting agent. Used to purchase online but we now get the brand Provigil here in SA on prescription.

I find it useful when I need to be alert and focus on intensive work over extended hours. Can't say I suffer from side effects other than insomnia, have learnt the day I take one, I try take it around 5am so I can get to sleep by 11pm/12am. I do not take them unless I need it. Not sure if it is just the placebo effect, but feel like I am Eddie Mora from the film Limitless when on it.

Would suggest talking to your GP about Provigil and see if they recommend it. My family doctor did not recommend it, but managed to get a script from another dodgy doctor. I took one this morning, so my apologies for the blabbering, will shuush now!

mister

Executive Member
I find it useful when I need to be alert and focus on intensive work over extended hours.

I used to use it about 12 years ago for marathon coding sessions. Amazing drug!

Can't say I suffer from side effects other than insomnia, have learnt the day I take one, I try take it around 5am so I can get to sleep by 11pm/12am. I do not take them unless I need it.

I eventually stopped using it because the side effects for me were worrying: back pain, muscle spasms, and I felt dehydrated despite drinking a lot.

Not sure if it is just the placebo effect, but feel like I am Eddie Mora from the film Limitless when on it.

Not a placebo - that's pretty much how I felt on it!

Meister-Man

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Yeah dabbled a bit. The serious stuff all lists scary side effects. And trusting what’s in the bottle is also a bit of a leap of faith. Way too many of these supplement companies have had independent purity tests flunk them. So best you can hope for is one using a “reputable” one - code for that hasn’t failed a test...yet. And even then you might get a fake one slipped into the supply chain.

...all for questionable gains.

newklear

Expert Member
I used to use it about 12 years ago for marathon coding sessions. Amazing drug!

I eventually stopped using it because the side effects for me were worrying: back pain, muscle spasms, and I felt dehydrated despite drinking a lot.

Not a placebo - that's pretty much how I felt on it!
Sounds like your kidneys were affected. I try not take every day as I really battle to get good sleep if taking over consecutive days, in a busy week will probably take 2/3 times and stop.

mister

Executive Member
Sounds like your kidneys were affected. I try not take every day as I really battle to get good sleep if taking over consecutive days, in a busy week will probably take 2/3 times and stop.

Pain was upper back. I used it very sparingly... limited to just a few times a month.