NP200 yay or nay?

Mars

Honorary Master
I'm looking for an ldv for the office. I've spoken to a couple people who have recommended I stay away from the np200.

I've always liked them tho I've never owned one. What's the verdict?

I've also looked at a few Chevy Utilities. They seem good too?

Cars in Joburg just seem so much cheaper than cape town. Is it worth buying one up there and bringing it down?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
There's no reason to stay away from an NP200, sure, it's cheap and nasty but it's a tool of trade and does the job of the bakkie excellently. My only advise is that you put in a good alarm because the keys are interchangeable on them, we use them at work, they are all white and I have absent-mindedly opened the wrong car, imagine if someone can do that to yours while parked at the mall.

Nothing wrong with the Chevy as well.

Last edited:

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Why do you say that? They seem pretty popular down here.
Popular doesn't say anything. I know lots of people who own or have owned one in the past. Almost all of them had issues with cracked tops or wiper motors or immobilizers not working etc etc.

acidrain

Executive Member
We've got one sitting on 160k km and still running fine.

Just bought a second one now because Nissan wants over 300k for a np300

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Check out availability and cost of spare parts. Chev has had a bumpy road off late so not as reliable as before.

Popular doesn't say anything. I know lots of people who own or have owned one in the past. Almost all of them had issues with cracked tops or wiper motors or immobilizers not working etc etc.

Work vehicles perhaps driven by dickheads that drive it like it is stolen?
Or bad experiences from Owner drivers?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Check out availability and cost of spare parts. Chev has had a bumpy road off late so not as reliable as before.
No problem with availability of parts, it's the same SOHC GM engine used in most earlier Opels and Chevs, it's in the Corsa, Aveo, Daewoo and the previous Gen Utility.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
I'm looking for an ldv for the office. I've spoken to a couple people who have recommended I stay away from the np200.

I've always liked them tho I've never owned one. What's the verdict?

I've also looked at a few Chevy Utilities. They seem good too?

Cars in Joburg just seem so much cheaper than cape town. Is it worth buying one up there and bringing it down?
I had a 1.5 dCI for almost 120,000 kms, no issues ever, it did what it said on the box. I regret disposing of it, it was expropriated without compensation by a needy family member. I can't speak for the petrol motors, but the diesel is a gutsy motor, and 200nm of torque pulls very well even under load from 1800 rpm, even with aircon on.
At the time that I was evaluating a LDV, I drove the Chevy / Corsa ute, it had a lot more useless bling and I wasn't impressed with its unladen handling, the NP200 was far more stable. The 1800 motor in the Chevy was also an ancient design, very inefficient and thirsty compared to the 1.5 intercooled turbodiesel of the Nissan. The cab of the Nissan is also very spacious, especially behind the seats. The Nissan also wins in the rear load department.
There is very little difference in pricing between a low mileage NP200 and a low-mileage NP300, so if carrying more load (and passengers) is a requirement, you may want to consider it. Even the NP300 DC is good value at the moment, despite it getting a bad rating in global NCAP testing.

Last edited: