Etienne.Noddy

I have a company car that I am driving. It is not my company car, it is a pool car that I have been driving for the last year or so due to the distance I need to travel to get to work. I drove through a huge storm last night around 20:20pm, driving from JHB north to the Vaal.

This morning before going back to work, I noticed my front number plate is missing. It probably came off during the storm but I am not sure. Now I have emailed my company requesting a new number plate for the car it being a very large retail company I probably won't get any reply or action very soon. I also do not have the funds on me to buy a new one now. (That can be done though right? I have the rear number plate that I can show to a place that makes these, I just need to get another one for the front.) I will however be able to buy one next week Wednesday when I get paid, but the issue is what do I do when I get pulled over by a traffic officer? Do I go and make an affidavit at a police station stating the date it fell off and the date I attempt to have it replaced by or do I have another option? Do I go straight to a traffic department and report my problem so that they can sort of log the issue online on their system and other traffic police officers will be able to access it if I request them to check? Will the affidavit idea even benefit me? I googled and saw that the I may receive fines for R500 or worse for missing number plates

Do I attach the email sent to my company and the affidavit together and show this when I get pulled over, if I do get pulled over? I think I need to put the number plate that I currently have in front as I think that I am more likely to be pulled over by a traffic officer viewing the car from the front than the back.

It would be really awesome if a traffic officer replies to this but then again, they're out there waiting for cars like mine to pass. Since I received my driver's licence in 2001 I have only been pulled over 5 times, last time more than 5 years ago so I am not sure what to expect.

Etienne.Noddy

It seems it has been a while since you had a number plate made? We had one made last week, and it cost us R150.

Since you had it made last week did you need registration papers? I only need one...surely they will understand?

geezer

Expert Member
Since you had it made last week did you need registration papers? I only need one...surely they will understand?

Legally you need to provide the registration papers, but as far as I know, we were not asked for it.

Etienne.Noddy

It seems it has been a while since you had a number plate made? We had one made last week, and it cost us R150.

What do I do when I get pulled over in the mean time? R50 yeah awesome stuff or even R150 if I had it to get a new plate now but I don't have it. I bought a new gaming console and games recently to be specific so......

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
What do I do when I get pulled over in the mean time? R50 yeah awesome stuff or even R150 if I had it to get a new plate now but I don't have it. I bought a new gaming console and games recently to be specific so......

Just do what everyone else does, record the officer with your phone.

Tremayne

When I made a licence plate last year, I removed the disk on my car and took it into the shop as when I left the house I didn't know I needed the registration papers.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Dude I probably drive past 20 suburbs from Vereeniging to Fourways to get to work...which one should I go to?
There are a couple of places on the main road in Edenvale. They don't ask any questions, don't need any papers, and are around the R50-100 range.

They also will do all illegal sizes, you know, the teeny tiny ones bikers use and such. They just tell you it's illegal, and if you say OK, they make em.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
There's also a place opposite the Benoni Traffic dept, also around R100, they just wanted to see my ID.

MickZA

Executive Member
When I made a licence plate last year, I removed the disk on my car and took it into the shop as when I left the house I didn't know I needed the registration papers.
Seems like a schelp, I just drove my car to the number plate shop when the front plate fell off, iirc all they wanted was a copy of my ID. Can't remember how much it cost but why not just phone?

Tremayne

My dad was telling me just now that you get places in the cbd that do it without any proof. I think Carte Blanche did a story on this a few weeks ago.

Tremayne

Do you remember how much it was?
I paid R120 for the bigger number plate, it has spaces in between the letters. The smaller one looks strange on my car. It's actually the reason I changed the number plate, I though the bigger one would look better and it did!

Etienne.Noddy

Seems like a schelp, I just drove my car to the number plate shop when the front plate fell off, iirc all they wanted was a copy of my ID. Can't remember how much it cost but why not just phone?

Sometimes the most simplest answer is the best one. Well at least I don't have to worry as I phoned the traffic department and all I needed to do was to make put my registration number in bold on a A4 page and put it up front on my windscreen. So tomorrow I will phone a couple of places....legit places, last thing I need is getting fired for putting an illegal license plate on a company car....hehe

Thanks for the advice...wondering why I didn't think of it.