Number portability question

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
I always thought that as long as you keep your SP you can keep your number and change networks, but if you change SP's, you can't keep your number.
Somebody told me the other day that you can change networks and SP's and still keep your number.
Can someone please clarify for me.
Thanks.

PwrpuffGirl

I changed service providers and kept my number. All you have to do is contact the service provider you want to port to. Your old contract must be over though. Tell them you want to port, fill in a few port forms and they do the rest. Mine took under a week.

LazerFazer

What PwrpuffGirl said is absolutely correct. Only thin I can add is once your number has been ported, make sure subscribers on ALL networks can call you. My brother recently ported from Virgin to Vodacom, and until a few weeks ago only calls/SMS' from Vodacom (and possibly MTN, didn't test it) numbers were routed to his VC SIM. Others were still routed to his Virgin SIM, strangely.

We tested it by putting his Virgin SIM in another phone and then calling from a) the landline (Telkom) b) my phone (Virgin) c) our Dad's phone (CellC) and d) our Mum's phone (Vodacom). Only the VC call routed to his VC SIM, the rest to the unused phone.

entrepr

Expert Member
I always thought that as long as you keep your SP you can keep your number and change networks, but if you change SP's, you can't keep your number.
Somebody told me the other day that you can change networks and SP's and still keep your number.
Can someone please clarify for me.
Thanks.

You can keep your number and move to any network and any SP. Approach the SP you want to sign up with and ask them to initiate the transfer. Just remember you are responsible for ending the contract with your original SP and if you are still in a contract you may have to pay penalties.

isie

Honorary Master
you can port you number between any network and service provider, Contract yo ucan port once the contract is completed or pay a penalty if you want to port earlier. on prpaid yo can port every 2 months or so

minerva

Hi guys sorry to dig up an old thread but maybe an MTN rep can give me an answer. I have an MTN contract and a Vodacom contract. The Vodacom contract has expired and the number is now a prepaid number. I would like to port my Vodacom number to the MTN contract. I phoned MTN 173 and they said no I cant. That sounds like rubbish to me... Any advice?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Hi guys sorry to dig up an old thread but maybe an MTN rep can give me an answer. I have an MTN contract and a Vodacom contract. The Vodacom contract has expired and the number is now a prepaid number. I would like to port my Vodacom number to the MTN contract. I phoned MTN 173 and they said no I cant. That sounds like rubbish to me... Any advice?

The MTN reps hardly ever venture here. I suggest you post this in the MTN section for a quicker response from them...but from my side....yes...it is utter BS. Prepaid numbers is free to port every 3 months between networks should they so choose.

isie

Honorary Master
thats BS if the number is prepaid its easy and can be ported to wherever you want

minerva

The MTN reps hardly ever venture here. I suggest you post this in the MTN section for a quicker response from them...but from my side....yes...it is utter BS. Prepaid numbers is free to port every 3 months between networks should they so choose.

Thanks OC! Thats what I thought... Also LOL'd that you answered an Mtn question...

Speedster

Honorary Master

Hate to throw a spanner in the works, but my reading of the question makes me think Minerva wants to move her VC number to an existing MTN contract. I'm not so sure if this is possible?

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Hate to throw a spanner in the works, but my reading of the question makes me think Minerva wants to move her VC number to an existing MTN contract. I'm not so sure if this is possible?

Also sounds to me that way, and I also think that you can't.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender

If that is in fact what he/she wants then I would have to say no...not possible. That is how it would be with Vodacom anyway. What he/she would have to do is port the number over to MTN into her/his existing account, then cancell the old MTN number. Bit more admin work but that is how it would have to be done.

minerva

Ok I think I should clarify in this way. I have an 082 number that is a prepaid number on Vodacom and I have an 071 number on contract with Mtn. I would like to bring my 082 number over to Mtn and replace the 071 number with the 082 number...

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Ok I think I should clarify in this way. I have an 082 number that is a prepaid number on Vodacom and I have an 071 number on contract with Mtn. I would like to bring my 082 number over to Mtn and replace the 071 number with the 082 number...

MTN and Vodacom works similar with these kind of things....so from the Vodacom side I can say no...you cant. See my previous post explaining what you would need to do. For further clarification from a MTN perspective...I suggest you create a post regarding your query in the MTN section asking for help from Snakepit. I think he does MTN.