Nvidia gets the finger from Linus Torvalds

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
it does not help the user---Linux community should come up with an alternative--but OEM should acknowledge that Linux OS's are increasingly being used by common users--I am sure, this will change with time (but how long should user wait).

milomak

Honorary Master
Is that as I there’s no number you can call or email address you can ask for support if you use linux? As opposed to nvidia not providing drivers?

unskinnybob

Expert Member
Linux gaming is on it's way back... I hope.

Apple are doing something right with OSX. Maybe they're throwing money in the right places. Essentially OSX is highly optimized/personalized/branded Linux. But their OpenGL performance is fantastic. Good driver support the only difference?

I trust old Shuttleworth will invest time in the right places with Ubuntu. It's my favorite distro. If Ubuntu want mainstream adoption, gaming is a good way to score market.

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
Linux gaming is on it's way back... I hope.

Apple are doing something right with OSX. Maybe they're throwing money in the right places. Essentially OSX is highly optimized/personalized/branded Linux. But their OpenGL performance is fantastic. Good driver support the only difference?

I trust old Shuttleworth will invest time in the right places with Ubuntu. It's my favorite distro. If Ubuntu want mainstream adoption, gaming is a good way to score market.

Well since most played games are becoming browser based its more important that a Linux distro works out of the box. Trying to cater for the small segment that does not already play on consoles is more a PR project than anything else.

Take Quake Wars Enemy Territory as en example. Performed brilliant on Linux yet had minimal take up.

unskinnybob

Expert Member
Well since most played games are becoming browser based its more important that a Linux distro works out of the box.
I think 12.04 is there.
Trying to cater for the small segment that does not already play on consoles is more a PR project than anything else.
I'm interested to see the split. I'd wager that PC beats any single console platform
Take Quake Wars Enemy Territory as en example. Performed brilliant on Linux yet had minimal take up.
Never tried it. /ashamed.

Cadavre777

Expert Member
Essentially OSX is highly optimized/personalized/branded Linux. But their OpenGL performance is fantastic. Good driver support the only difference?

OSX is considered a BSD (Berkley Software Distribution) variant with Apple's own Darwin kernel. Although with all the changes in code, one could consider it less of BSD derivative and more of something else.

If Linux/BSD/(what ever OSX is now) were to become more mainstream on desktops to really challenge Microsoft, it would take a major effort on their parts to convince hardware and software developers to change their ways and write drivers and apps which are platform neutral.

How would they do this you ask? There is no simple answer when you throw linux into the equation. Each distribution has is own purposes and goals of which conflict with every other distribution, this is made worse by people like Lennart Poettering who breaks everything with his piss poor software and god complex.

Last edited:

zamicro

Expert Member
Ha ha. I find it quite funny. Imagine a high up in Microsoft saying something like that.

ponder

Honorary Master
Apple are doing something right with OSX. Maybe they're throwing money in the right places. Essentially OSX is highly optimized/personalized/branded Linux. But their OpenGL performance is fantastic.

Last time I checked OpenGL on OS X was lagging way behind Linux. They're also running several versions older than what ships on Linux.

Bern

Expert Member
Is that as I there’s no number you can call or email address you can ask for support if you use linux? As opposed to nvidia not providing drivers?

Actually you can buy supported versions, stop trying to be so clever.

The issue is that NVidia could work with the Linux Foundation to make sure drivers are available and work, but don't and then try to jump on the Android bandwagon without doing anything to contribute. Pretty bad form.

milomak

Honorary Master
Actually you can buy supported versions, stop trying to be so clever.

The issue is that NVidia could work with the Linux Foundation to make sure drivers are available and work, but don't and then try to jump on the Android bandwagon without doing anything to contribute. Pretty bad form.

yes i know you can buy supported versions. which is why i was trying to understand what linux was referring to. so he is saying they should basically be doing a lot more than what they are currently doing. which is fair enough.

shame you posted that after someone has shown they understood the point i was making. maybe next time.

diabolus

Executive Member

This entire issue is not about the -lack- of drivers from Nvidia. Nvidia has provided drivers for a decade. The issue is actually about the closed manner at which Nvidia is operating. They only provide closed binary drivers (whenever they feel like it) which doesn't always work well with the latest Linux kernels . So instead of allowing Linux devs to build around it and/or improve it into Linux for a more integrated configuration, now everyone has to wait for Nvidia to "fix their drivers" or "make new drivers" for whatever issue there might be on Linux.

In other words, there are zero collaboration.Since Linux is all about open platforms and collaboration, this sort of thing most likely frustrates the hell out of anyone developing on Linux.

In contrast, other companies give out open drivers (kinda like providing an SDK) with all the information to "slot" the drivers into Linux distros and use it. This allows devs to easily find ways to fix and improve things when using the drivers.

Since Linux is most likely not a priority platform for Nvidia, i bet they simply don't care if Linux ends up running like crap on their graphic cards due to poor driver implementation. Whereas Nvidia will fix their drivers pretty quickly on Windows etc.

Last edited:

unskinnybob

Expert Member