Obesity

Jewelbox

Expert Member
It's shocking to see how many obese teenage girls there really are. I could not help observing this one morning during the school holidays, in a busy shopping mall in the east of Pretoria. These young people all appeared very cheerful while digging into the loads of fattening food they were eating at a restaurant.
Are they not concerned about their figures or health?
Obesity is not a disease, but many diseases are caused by being obese.

LancelotSA

Banned
It's shocking to see how many obese teenage girls there really are. I could not help observing this one morning during the school holidays, in a busy shopping mall in the east of Pretoria. These young people all appeared very cheerful while digging into the loads of fattening food they were eating at a restaurant.
Are they not concerned about their figures or health?
Obesity is not a disease, but many diseases are caused by being obese.
Obesity is a disease....

But yeah I agree that it is shocking how some of these youngsters look at their age already! I blame the parents partly (it is so much easier to just send your kids off to the mall with R100) but obviously society is to blame too. We have become fast food obsessed!

Obesity is becoming a major global health concern. In fact, a survey recently found that abdominal fat is the world’s number one killer, claiming more than 17 million lives each year.

Although the issues differ slightly where men, women and children are concerned, it looks like the problem boils down to the following: too much of the wrong foods and too little physical activity.

However, one must keep in mind that obesity is not a simple matter. Learn more about the psychological factors at play, and find out how you can actively prevent obesity in your own life.

Last edited:

Nokkie

Executive Member
The problem is.. Parents these days don't have time to give attention to their childrens needs.. so the esiest way is to give them money and just to go and buy food for themselves.

meanwhile the children are aslo clueless about health issues etc.

I mean they will still drink a can of coke than a bottle of water?

The problem doesn't lie with the fastfood chains - thats ones own personal choice
the problem lies at the source.. the people that is rasing their children.

its tru what you said I... usually see the same these days.

LancelotSA

Banned
Depression also affects kids more these days. There must be a link
Yes, it is also linked to not getting out and exercising the body and as a result the mind... it is also a vicious circle, I too would be depressed if at an age where appearance is everything to you, you were overweight! The solution lies in the hands of the individual, they make the everyday choices that make them that way!

I choose not to smoke.
I choose to not drink too often or too heavily.
I choose not to eat unhealthily all the time.
I choose to exercise as often and possible.
I have no sympathy for someone who chooses not to do these things!

Nokkie

Executive Member
Yes, it is also linked to not getting out and exercising the body and as a result the mind... it is also a vicious circle, I too would be depressed if at an age where appearance is everything to you, you were overweight! The solution lies in the hands of the individual, they make the everyday choices that make them that way!

I choose not to smoke.
I choose to not drink too often or too heavily.
I choose not to eat unhealthily all the time.
I choose to exercise as often and possible.
I have no sympathy for someone who chooses not to do these things!
Have you noticed the thing about appearance...

We all look the same the only thing that makes you different from me is

your eyes
nose and ears?

LancelotSA

Banned
On the other hand some cultures like obese women
Ooooh let's not even go there! This bloody ridiculous American obsession recently with fat asses is really annoying! And to make is worse they find it a turn on to have the owners of these fat asses shake and wiggle them in a manner referred to as "booty shaking" which when witnessed by me takes a lot of self control for me not to barf!!!

:)

LancelotSA

Banned
Think he means we can be a bunch of fat arses but we still look human/the same?
I thought he might be implying that but what about hair, skin tone etc they all differentiate us. Seems a bit weird to pick on eyes, nose and ears?

Nokkie

Executive Member
Not sure I follow your train of thought here?

MM. usually popularty = good looks.

With goodlooks you get obviously alot of confidance..

The negative side to that is. if someone feels ugly or get rejected from public
due to the way they look or not being "with the cool people" leads to eating alot of waist foods and living below an avg life..

which results in depression..

This doesn't cue up to what I said before... but it some insight to Psychological behaviors

LancelotSA

Banned
What about those obese housewife kugel belly dancer classes..hoooyaaah..barf!
Sorry it may be really un-PC to say it... but fat is just ugly!And the worst part is that in 99% of the cases the person can do something about it!

boramk

Bammed

due to the way they look or not being "with the cool people" leads to eating alot of waist foods and living below an avg life..

Unfortunately thats life.
You'd rather shag that hot girl/guy than that er, thing...

LancelotSA

Banned

This doesn't cue up to what I said before... but it some insight to Psychological behaviors
Yip, that is exactly what I was saying earlier with the vicious circle....