Obesity

LancelotSA

Banned
Society is just wrong at the moment! There was so much concern about people being influenced by models being so skinny in magazines and TV that we had a big drive to almost glamorise being overweight. Yes the intention was to ensure "normal" weights prevailed but now people seem to accept someone who is slightly overweight better than they do someone slightly underweight. They tread carefully and ensure they do not tell someone overweight that they are fat but they will not hesitate to tell someone, who in most instances has a perfectly healthy BMI, that they are skinny, and are they sick, and have they been eating etc.

The norms seem to have shifted. Because so many people are overweight society has almost come to accept that look as the norm. It is time we called fat people fat again!

Just my view....

Nokkie

Executive Member
Society is just wrong at the moment! There was so much concern about people being influenced by models being so skinny in magazines and TV that we had a big drive to almost glamorise being overweight. Yes the intention was to ensure "normal" weights prevailed but now people seem to accept someone who is slightly overweight better than they do someone slightly underweight. They tread carefully and ensure they do not tell someone overweight that they are fat but they will not hesitate to tell someone, who in most instances has a perfectly healthy BMI, that they are skinny, and are they sick, and have they been eating etc.

The norms seem to have shifted. Because so many people are overweight society has almost come to accept that look as the norm. It is time we called fat people fat again!

Just my view....

thats a very good point..

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I don't think I see the fattie ones, I just see the hottie ones!

Last edited:

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Yes, it is also linked to not getting out and exercising the body and as a result the mind... it is also a vicious circle, I too would be depressed if at an age where appearance is everything to you, you were overweight! The solution lies in the hands of the individual, they make the everyday choices that make them that way!

I choose not to smoke.
I choose to not drink too often or too heavily.
I choose not to eat unhealthily all the time.
I choose to exercise as often and possible.
I have no sympathy for someone who chooses not to do these things!
Sorry it may be really un-PC to say it... but fat is just ugly!And the worst part is that in 99% of the cases the person can do something about it!
Judgemental sanctimonious a55holes are really ugly to me. Sadly enough.. in 99% of the cases, the said a55hole stays an a55hole their whole life. There is nothing they can do about it.

Last edited:

LancelotSA

Banned
Judgemental sanctimonious a55holes are really ugly to me. Sadly enough.. in 99% of the cases, the said a55hole stays an a55hole their whole life. There is nothing they can do about it.
Well you are welcome to your opinion... and to be honest fat a55holes are even worse!

This thread was started as a discussion about obesity and being overweight. If someone chooses a lifestyle which results in them becoming overweight then why am I an as_hole to point out that I regard this as unattractive? I am sure I am not alone in that thinking... in fact I am sure the overweight people feel the same way, hence the amount of money spent on slimming tablets and get thin quick schemes!

Again you have proven the point I made in my other post... it has become unacceptable to say how you feel about someone being overweight. You are supposed to be PC and accept it.

Gunny

Expert Member
With some ppl its genetic and with others it medical problems like thyroid probs so dont be so quick to judge.

LancelotSA

Banned
With some ppl its genetic and with others it medical problems like thyroid probs so dont be so quick to judge.
You should practice what you preach as you are being quick to judge... I did state that in 99% of cases something can be done about it... you can perhaps argue that figure but I did not say in all cases.

Facts about overweight and obesity

WHO’s latest projections indicate that globally in 2005:

* approximately 1.6 billion adults (age 15+) were overweight;
* at least 400 million adults were obese.

WHO further projects that by 2015, approximately 2.3 billion adults will be overweight and more than 700 million will be obese.

At least 20 million children under the age of 5 years are overweight globally in 2005.

Once considered a problem only in high-income countries, overweight and obesity are now dramatically on the rise in low- and middle-income countries, particularly in urban settings.

What causes obesity and overweight?

The fundamental cause of obesity and overweight is an energy imbalance between calories consumed on one hand, and calories expended on the other hand. Global increases in overweight and obesity are attributable to a number of factors including:

* a global shift in diet towards increased intake of energy-dense foods that are high in fat and sugars but low in vitamins, minerals and other micronutrients; and
* a trend towards decreased physical activity due to the increasingly sedentary nature of many forms of work, changing modes of transportation, and increasing urbanization.
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/index.html

Last edited:

Jewelbox

Expert Member
Depression also affects kids more these days. There must be a link
IMO the parents of obese children carry a lot of the blame for their children's condition. They have their houses filled with tons of junk food instead of whole unprocessed natural foods. In many cases these "fatties" I refer to, also have "oversized" parents.....
This excuse of obesity being in the genes, or is a result of "depression", is a lot of crap.
I say that it is selfinflicted and that you are what you eat!

Teleological

IMO the parents of obese children carry a lot of the blame for their children's condition. They have their houses filled with tons of junk food instead of whole unprocessed natural foods. In many cases these "fatties" I refer to, also have "oversized" parents.....
This excuse of obesity being in the genes, or is a result of "depression", is a lot of crap.
Agreed.
No amount of genetic predisposition will make a person obese if energy intake is balanced with energy output. Simple calculation.

CathJ

Expert Member
I was going to stay out of this thread, but...

True, this can be a huge contributing factor.

False. Overeating is often a result of depression, lack of self-esteem, etc. Your genetic makeup also determines your body type, and more importantly, your metabolism.

Agreed.
No amount of genetic predisposition will make a person obese if energy intake is balanced with energy output. Simple calculation.
Yes, but: the problem is that the genetic predisposition towards a slow metabolism makes it very difficult to balance your intake and output. Haven't you ever seen how some people can eat tons of stuff and not get fat, and others can't? Part of that can be due to the amount of energy used up in physical activity, but a lot of it is due to differences in metabolism.

I'm not saying you have to be all PC about it, but just don't be so quick to judge.

LancelotSA

Banned
Yes, but: the problem is that the genetic predisposition towards a slow metabolism makes it very difficult to balance your intake and output. Haven't you ever seen how some people can eat tons of stuff and not get fat, and others can't? Part of that can be due to the amount of energy used up in physical activity, but a lot of it is due to differences in metabolism.

I'm not saying you have to be all PC about it, but just don't be so quick to judge.
Well what you are saying means it is still in your own hands. If you know you have a slow metabolism then you need to do even more exercise then the man next to you.

Look at the biggest loser... they manage to lose weight when they get in the gym, do exercise and eat correctly! You think they did that exercise before the show? I doubt it.

Teleological

That is the whole argument around genetic predisposition. Metabolism and your basal metabolic rate.
Some people just have a higher basal metabolic rate (BMR) because of their genetic make-up like you mention, however the fact remains that if energy intake is balanced with energy output, you will not become obese. Type of foods (low-GI, medium fat, medium protein, sufficient micro-nutrients) make a huge difference. Exercise can also alter and speed up your metabolism, thereby improving your BMR. It is possible, however difficult for a person with a high BMR to become obese and visa versa.
Ultimately, it is a personal health choice. Is it a selfish act to eat to much at peril of your own health?

Hot_Chocolate

Expert Member
That is the whole argument around genetic predisposition. Metabolism and your basal metabolic rate.
Some people just have a higher basal metabolic rate (BMR) because of their genetic make-up like you mention, however the fact remains that if energy intake is balanced with energy output, you will not become obese. Type of foods (low-GI, medium fat, medium protein, sufficient micro-nutrients) make a huge difference. Exercise can also alter and speed up your metabolism, thereby improving your BMR. It is possible, however difficult for a person with a high BMR to become obese and visa versa.
Ultimately, it is a personal health choice. Is it a selfish act to eat to much at peril of your own health?
I agree with what you are saying. The problem, I think, lies in our society. We are living a fast paced life, and lots of ppl don't have time to prepare a helathy balanced meal. Although, I always cook, with the odd exception.

Most ppl know they are eating unhealthy, but even so carry on. They argue that they are gonna die anyway, so why not enjoy their food. In their mind they have this picture that healthy food tastes bad etc. while it actually tastes good. (ok, some things do taste 'bad', but then, prepare it differently next time!)

blunomore

Honorary Master
Neither obese nor anorexic is a good choice.

Moderation in all aspects of life.

I find these skelatal young girls who put their fingers down their throats after every meal SO pathetic. They are the same ones who make being fashionable the be-all and end-all of existence.

Nokkie

Executive Member
I agree with what you are saying. The problem, I think, lies in our society. We are living a fast paced life, and lots of ppl don't have time to prepare a helathy balanced meal. Although, I always cook, with the odd exception.

Most ppl know they are eating unhealthy, but even so carry on. They argue that they are gonna die anyway, so why not enjoy their food. In their mind they have this picture that healthy food tastes bad etc. while it actually tastes good. (ok, some things do taste 'bad', but then, prepare it differently next time!)
I cook regulary and I must say Healthy food Taste alot better than a quick Mcdonalds during lunch time...

usually I only eat 1 to 2 takeaways on the weekends the rest is healthy foods.. kinda works out a little bit more than buying takeaways but the amount doesn't differ that much.