MickeyD
RIP
Namibia are being ripped a new one by a very physical Samoa...
South Africa’s biggest forum. Discuss, discover, and connect with thousands of members.
Cape Town - The injury crisis at lock for the Springboks could force coach Peter de Villiers to play loose forward Francois Louw in the second row against Fiji in Wellington on Saturday.
With Victor Matfield already ruled out with an injured hamstring, Johann Muller in doubt after also hurting his hamstring during training on Tuesday and Bakkies Botha still struggling with an Achilles injury, De Villiers could be left with no other choice than to pick Louw at lock.
At 1.90m, Louw might be a bit too short to play there, but the 26-year-old says he is up for the challenge.
"I'll play lock any time - it will be wonderful just to take part," a smiling Louw told Die Burger newspaper at the team's hotel in Wellington.
Are we allowed to bring extra players from SA? I thought we could only bring someone in if it was really serious and the other person would play no further part in the WC or was that the cricket.
Is there more cricket supporters on here or is it just me. In a test match we post more than we have this entire RWC so far.
Ja, I think a player has to be ruled out of the tournament before he can be replaced...
I also think that is the case. the problem is do you want Bakkies ruled out and get fresh legs here or limp through to the semis and then play him...
IIRC I said some where I feel we were going into the WC a tad light on locks....
I think I would also rather have Alberts on lock than Louw. If Juan was here he could also cover lock.
Yeah, I been saying it from day one that we have issues with locks.
Willem is 1.92m tall, too short for lock although I think he would certainly handle the other fundamentals required of a lock. I would imagine him to be a good scrummager owing to his size and strength and he is mobile enough to get under the kick offs. At 119kg he is not too heavy to lift either. In the tight and the tight loose he would flourish. He loves taking the ball up on the crash so there too he would be useful. Just the lineouts where I think he would suffer but being a primary source of 1st phase ball can we afford a handicap in that department. Against Fiji, Namibia and maybe Samoa yes. Knock out stages forget about it...
At international level anything under 1.98m is too short for lock.Danie is only 1.96m tall and I fear that what while they will surely give us 200% more kick in the loose and the tight game, they might leave us lacking in cover defence as Victor / Bekker floats a bit more.
I agree that they will do for the next three games but come knock out stages we will need real locks.
I am looking forwrd to seeing Lambie play. Wonder if we will rest Steyn and play butch with lambie on the bench.
http://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/springboks/habana-ruled-out-1.1137075
Habana ruled out of Fiji clash
The run of injuries could work out well in the Springboks’ favour as they weigh up their options for the starting line-up to face Fiji in Wellington on Saturday.
As coach Peter de Villiers and his fellow selectors get ready to name the side on Wednesday evening (CAT), the revamped line-up may provide some interesting sparks which could do the Boks well in the attacking department this coming weekend.
Much like in 2007 when Jean de Villiers was injured, Frans Steyn looks set to move into the inside centre berth, opening up some space for the mecurial SuperPat -- Patrick Lambie to move in at fullback.
It is a move that is highly anticipated and one which could well change the whole dynamic of the Bok attack against one of the most dangerous sides in the world in terms of the counter attack.
Fiji are excellent at using space and running with ball in hand, but the Boks' hope is to strangle their flow of ball, force the mistakes through pressure and then use the ensuing turnover ball to put the Fijians away.
It is a tried and tested formula, and one which has a new dimension if Steyn and Lambie are added to the mix.
It may also be a blueprint that may stick around longer than expected, especially as there are many out there who believe Steyn’s best position is in the midfield, while Lambie slots in better at fullback.
Of course, the Boks can always decide to field Juan de Jongh, who certainly would not be out of his depth in the position in the midfield, and would slot in easily alongside Jaque Fourie. Gio Aplon can also come in at fullback, but if Steyn isn’t in the midfield, you can be sure he will be at the back covering the fullback position.
It is also one that will be defensively based. There is no doubt the Boks know just how dangerous the Fijians can be and therefore will go with a more defensive-minded backline rather than out and out attack.
With this in mind, the loss of Bryan Habana will probably mean that Odwa Ndungane, and not Francois Hougaard is drafted into the backline as he is seen as a better defensive player.
There will be some debate on this, but it may well be because Hougaard is seen as the more versatile player, and therefore will do better on the bench than on the wing and offer the Boks more options in terms of the make-up of their bench.
Interestingly enough, if the practice sessions this week are anything to go by, it will be the same bench that saved South Africa’s blushes that will not be rewarded with starting line-up spots against the South Sea islanders.
With Victor Matfield out, John Smit is set to start at captain again, meaning the fire and brimstone of Bismarck du Plessis is likely to be confined to a reserve role for another week.
Danie Rossouw is likely to continue at lock, and may well be joined by Bakkies Botha in a revamped second row that will add a load of physicality to the contest.
But at the same time, if the Boks decide to go in without a recognised five lock, mainly because of the new injury worry to Johann Muller, whose availability team officials have described as “touch and go”.
This also means that Willem Alberts will be on the bench to cover the lock position, especially if Muller is ruled unfit to play in any role at all.
You know, we had 2 good performances in SA towards the end of the tri-nations. 14-9 loss to OZ and 18-5 win over AB's. I was really expecting a performance on a par with what we saw there... Perhaps the guys are pacing themselves but I'm not convinced and the injuries won't help..
Ai.. After cricket world cup who would want to commit and invest emotionally, physically, financially in the cause....????
I'm SO reluctant....
Gees boet that's a lot of changes in the back line. Risky!!Haha, Sandman I agree, but at least the boks have won it twice... I think like england in 2007, we will surprise. I really hope that lambie gets a start and that bissie gets more time. I also would rather see alberts tested at lock sooner rather than later. Imo i would have butch at 10, de jong at 12 and frans at 13 for this game. I really feel that with the space de jong creates steyn could power his way through and the off load to aplon / lambie in support. Well that all works in my head against a weaker deffensive side like fiji.![]()
Albert's at 5 would be interesting.
Not sure... And I put it in after nogal!!!Why, oh why, did you put an apostrophe in his name? Seriously? Why?