Official 2011 Rugby World Cup Thread

The last 20mins was how we should have played the first 60. Like P Divvy said at the end, stick to your lines and the basics and the cracks in the opposition will show.

Well done boys. Bring Samoa on!
 
The last 20mins was how we should have played the first 60. Like P Divvy said at the end, stick to your lines and the basics and the cracks in the opposition will show.

Well done boys. Bring Samoa on!

+1, we had 6 knock ons in the first 12 mins, too little forwards doing the donkey work and to many "rassel dazzel" moves. Set up the phases and then swing it or do a set move. You will score. I am just super happy that we did not "give" them any points.

Well done, Squire ;)

Haha, after half time I thought I was overshooting it by about 15 points. :o I just want to thank the boks for coming to their senses and saving my Superbru prediction :D
 
What is this about Francois Steyn being only 1 of 2 players so far to have played in 11 unbeaten games in a row in RWC's?

I find it odd that he would be the only one out of the whole group :confused:
 
If you look at the result in the context of other games against Namibia, it doesn't look so good.

This is Namibia's second largest defeat at the World Cup after the 0-142 loss to Australia in 2003

Last time we played them we beat them 105-13 (2007)

Hougard was exceptional and thank goodness he cut his hair.
 
If you look at the result in the context of other games against Namibia, it doesn't look so good.

This is Namibia's second largest defeat at the World Cup after the 0-142 loss to Australia in 2003

Last time we played them we beat them 105-13 (2007)

Hougard was exceptional and thank goodness he cut his hair.
60 minutes average, last 20 was ruthless.
Hougaard may have just played himself into the starting XV at Habana's expense...
 
Hougaard may have just played himself into the starting XV at Habana's expense...

Lets hope so. Frans Steyn has been a beast at number 12 and is a far bigger presence than jean.D. Maybe Aplon at fullback seeing as he is so quick on his feet and Lambie is too small in my opinion.
 
I find it odd that he would be the only one out of the whole group :confused:

the last loss would have been in 2003 - to NZ. This means that the 7 from the last RWC plus the 3 so far would have to see players that have been in both and not been rested. Then, a player would've had to feature in 2003 prior to that QF and not be in that QF to make 11, not so?

I could be wrong...
 
What is this about Francois Steyn being only 1 of 2 players so far to have played in 11 unbeaten games in a row in RWC's?

I find it odd that he would be the only one out of the whole group :confused:

I guess injuries have played their role in that. Also, the win streak does span 5 years. Interesting stat. Whose the other fella then?
 
I guess injuries have played their role in that. Also, the win streak does span 5 years. Interesting stat. Whose the other fella then?

Some Australian oke they mentioned. But if Steyn plays Samoa and we win he'll be the record holder. I heard it via the commentary on the Namibia/SA game.
 
Okay, I am wrong here. Let's understand this - I think the reported statistic is wrong. FS started his Bok career in 2007:

2007 RWC
Qualifiers:
(1) vs Samoa
(2) vs England
(3) vs Tonga
(4) vs USA
Eliminations:
(5) vs Fiji
(6) vs Argentina
(7) vs England

2009 RWC
Qualifiers
(8) vs Wales
(9) vs Fiji
(10) vs Namibia

Statistic is wrong.
 
Okay, I am wrong here. Let's understand this - I think the reported statistic is wrong. FS started his Bok career in 2007:

2007 RWC
Qualifiers:
(1) vs Samoa
(2) vs England
(3) vs Tonga
(4) vs USA
Eliminations:
(5) vs Fiji
(6) vs Argentina
(7) vs England

2009 RWC
Qualifiers
(8) vs Wales
(9) vs Fiji
(10) vs Namibia

Statistic is wrong.

Yes this looks right.

I just heard it and found it odd to begin with. I'm trying to find some source for this now but having a hard time. I'm pretty sure you're correct, just wondering what the commentators was talking about as I heard half of it but clearly heard them saying FS is only 1 of 2 players to have won 11 games in a WC in a row.
 
60 minutes average, last 20 was ruthless.
Hougaard may have just played himself into the starting XV at Habana's expense...

+1. I will however have to watch the game tonight before making my final opinion :o

I prefer him on the wing at the moment as Fourie's (even not in top form) tactical kicking against a "better" team could be vital. Also this will give Hougaard more chances to play first receiver and create chances for the supporting players around him.

Lets hope so. Frans Steyn has been a beast at number 12 and is a far bigger presence than jean.D. Maybe Aplon at fullback seeing as he is so quick on his feet and Lambie is too small in my opinion.

Sorry mate but am I understaning you correctly in saying Aplon is fine but Lambie is to small? :D

As for as I heard today, Lambie had a very average game.

Well I must say EVERY single player in the 30 man group should be able to make the country proud if needed. Was again impressed that I did not hear about a lot of penalties at the breakdowns going against SA. It really feels as if SA have done their best to get the scrums as good as possible (and they are looking well) and to not get penalised at the breakdown.
 
We conceded 6 penalties today which is reasonable.

Lambie was very mediocre not that he did anything wrong just that he lacked flair on attack. I don't recall him making a single line break. Positionally he was okay and defensively he didn't have much to do.

Hougaard probably had his worst game at 9 in a Bok jersey. He was caught before passing on a couple of occasions but the forwards weren't cleaning out as they should so he wasn't getting the protection that he should. On the wing and with space he was the most dangerous back on the field by a considerable margin. Left wing is looking like his best position right now. The kid has BMT in bucket loads. Seems the bigger the occasion the better the performance. He is a player who just thrives on pressure.

We really could have gone past 100 tonight had we been more accurate. 50 points in 20 minutes is just insane. 2 possible tries that went to the TMO, hell, 120 was on tonight (agree with Abe).

1st 60 were poor. Knock ons, forward passes, skew line out throws, turnovers , was seriously rubbish.
 
Glad to see we're not the only ones weho suffered because of suits "owning" a sport.

From www.smh.com.au (Sydney Morning Herald

Over the top or what? Our intrepid reporter Josh
Rakic was shopping with his fiance in a Wellington
lingerie shop yesterday after being intrigued by
the sign in the front window, which said: "All
Black lingerie 20 per cent off." They were told by
the shop attendants that the sign had caused
major dramas, with International Rugby Board
officials threatening to sue if they did not take it
down. The reasoning was that All Blacks was a
copyright name. They said five other stores in
Wellington had been threatened with similar
action. Great to see the World Cup goon squad
have got their priorities right.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X