Official 2011 Rugby World Cup Thread

How do the smaller nations get into the RWC? Have we ever played a rugby game against Namibia before this world cup? I know there is the 6 Nations and we have the Tri Nations but how do the smaller teams get game time?
 
We've played Namibia before and beat them 105-13. If I can recall correctly it was in 2007.

The smaller teams make it into the RWC by qualifying.

From Wiki.

2011 Rugby World Cup qualifying began at the 2007 tournament in France, where twelve teams (the first three in each of the four pools) earned a place in the finals of the tournament, this automatically qualified them for the 2011 Rugby World Cup in New Zealand.[1]

After much speculation, it was confirmed on 30 November 2007 that 20 teams would contest the next edition of the tournament.[2] The qualification system for the remaining eight places was region-based, with Europe and the Americas allocated two qualifying places, Africa, Asia and Oceania one place each, and the last place determined by a playoff.[3]

With 86 teams participating (directly or indirectly) in regional qualifying competitions, and 12 teams qualifying automatically, 98 nations were involved in the process.
 
would we tour namibia after the world cup?

Not likely. Most likely scenario would be that they get their national team together and we would play an upcoming or emerging Springbok team against them. It will not carry test status.
 
Not likely. Most likely scenario would be that they get their national team together and we would play an upcoming or emerging Springbok team against them. It will not carry test status.

ok thanks. they don't play to bad and need some big team opponents to better their game play I would think.
 
ok thanks. they don't play to bad and need some big team opponents to better their game play I would think.

Take into account that the majority of their players are amateurs and play rugby in their spare time. They do however have some professionals like Danie Dames(Leopards) and Jacques Burger(Saracens, UK). Don't think they will ever be a force to be reckoned with.
 
All those smaller teams need a chance too sometime. Every year we have the same bunch playing each other and maybe it's time for a change.
 
All those smaller teams need a chance too sometime. Every year we have the same bunch playing each other and maybe it's time for a change.

My honest opinion. They have exactly the same chances as all the other teams and they are competing at the highest level. But they are just not good enough and only they can change that. So they need to make the change. Not any of the powerhouses.

But yes, the IRB can do more on the developmental levels.
 
Well the other option is to drop all the crap teams and play the quarters with 8 of the best.

Sounds like a great world cup :D.
 
Ok I watched the gaem last night and a few things that I noticed:

- John had a good game, he worked hard and when all the others were trying to play festive rugby in the first half he was clearing out. also his offload to Danie for the try was very good. That being said his line out throws was horrible! I would still start with Bismarck

- Frans Steyn is impressing me more and more and I am prefering him in the nr 12 jersey.

- I would have Hougaard on the wing (sorry Habanna). That being said I would have a word with Fourie as we all saw what Hougaard's quick cleaning of the rucks held.

- Our scrum is solid but please do NOT put John at tight head..... EVER.... this could swing the game.... and not in a good way for us.

- We are not missing Victor all that much, but then again we were not up against "great" lineout nations.

- A fetcher against the bigger Nations is a must.
 
The coaches are really going to have a bit of a selection problem if all players are fit for the play-offs.

You have Hougaard, Steyn, Lambie and Aplon who really made the most of their chances and have shown that they are hungry to play. Now where do you fit in guys like Habana, Du Preez and Jean de Villiers?

My personal opinion would be:

Play Steyn at fullback with De Villiers on centre and Lambie on the bench. 2nd half you take off De Villiers, put Lambie at the back and shift Steyn to centre alongside Jaque Fourie.

Then I would have Hougaard on the wing. Habana got that elusive try now, so no need for him anymore. And I'm not saying that in a bad way. We just have better and hungrier players than him at the moment. If they really feel the need to have Habana in the team, put him on the bench. That way if Du Preez is clearing ball too slowly you can shift Hogaard to scrummie and have Habana on the wing. I would actually do exactly that but change Habana for Aplon.

I'm still thinking about the forwards. Will get back to you on that one. But a no-brainer is Brussow to start.
 
The coaches are really going to have a bit of a selection problem if all players are fit for the play-offs.

You have Hougaard, Steyn, Lambie and Aplon who really made the most of their chances and have shown that they are hungry to play. Now where do you fit in guys like Habana, Du Preez and Jean de Villiers?

My personal opinion would be:

Play Steyn at fullback with De Villiers on centre and Lambie on the bench. 2nd half you take off De Villiers, put Lambie at the back and shift Steyn to centre alongside Jaque Fourie.

Then I would have Hougaard on the wing. Habana got that elusive try now, so no need for him anymore. And I'm not saying that in a bad way. We just have better and hungrier players than him at the moment. If they really feel the need to have Habana in the team, put him on the bench. That way if Du Preez is clearing ball too slowly you can shift Hogaard to scrummie and have Habana on the wing. I would actually do exactly that but change Habana for Aplon.

I'm still thinking about the forwards. Will get back to you on that one. But a no-brainer is Brussow to start.

Lambie did not knock the door down for a place in the 22 with his performance yesterday, imo. I would not risk putting him as starting in a big game. In the Knock outs I would have FS on Fullback and Jean in the 12 jersey.
 
I backed the Aussies with 26 but they look like their cage is being rattled a bit at the moment. The USA has really improved in the last three years.
 
Last score I saw was Aussies dishing out a number if tries to one. Any updates?
 
They are better than what it looked like today.

What happened to Todd?

They rattled the Oz crooks for sure but they looked unorganized and almost at a loss on what to do next. The try was a gem by the way.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X