Official 2011 Rugby World Cup Thread

Samoa put everything they had into the game, and played very well (a few dirties aside). Hats off to them. And of course, Ave Springboks! Whew, there were some nervous moments there. But defense won it for us.
 
I think it was a great group and from now on the bokke can take it. Though I'm not sure about the injury side of things.
 
That was NOT pretty rugby.

I fear if another (decent) country plays an open, loose game like that against us, with lots of up and unders, we'll lose.

We definately weren't great under pressure, or the high ball today.
 
I think that if Samoa had concentrated on playing rugby and not just playing dirty they could have taken it.
 
Owens trying so hard to be man of the match

Sounds like he achieved his objective :rolleyes:

Absolutely awesome game.. well played boks.

Sent from my GT-I9000

That was NOT pretty rugby.

I fear if another (decent) country plays an open, loose game like that against us, with lots of up and unders, we'll lose.

We definately weren't great under pressure, or the high ball today.

So which is it. 'Awesome' or 'ugly'? I am going with the latter based on comments through this thread.

Nonetheless, it's a win and a place in the QF :D
 
Was ugly thanks to Samoa's approach to the game but I'm really impressed by the discipline shown by the Boks. I just wish we'd stop with the up and unders when they're clearly not working.
 
Wow the citing commissioner is going to be busy this coming week. Really poor sportsmanship from them. What makes it more disappointing for their supporters is that they were playing well - there was no need to play as dirty as they did.

The second half was awful from a South African perspective and we actually starved ourselves of the ball with the unnecessary up-and-unders that Samoa were dealing with perfectly - it wasn't Samoa starving us of possession. Matfield said afterwards that we need to work on our attack, however you cannot attack without the ball.

I still believe that we're vulnerable when teams attack around the breakdown - it's one of the weaknesses being exposed and we need to commit more players at the breakdown instead of relying on one or two stalwarts - NZ and Aus annihilated us in this area in the Tri-Nations and we haven't fixed it yet.

My standout players of the game were Schalk, Frans Steyn, Spies and Danie Rossouw. What I like about Spies is that he's taking the ball into contact and committing himself on defence - he needs to be utilised in a more backline role though more often - not permanently, but in set pieces.

My worst players of the match - George Sorrow (Samoan no.8), Williams (Samoan no.15), Nigel Owens (Samoan no.16)...
 
It was a hard fought victory. Well done to the guys... now the preparations begin!

What is with us trying to close the game off 4 minutes from the end?? We have tried to do this recently in the past and we always lose the ball.. today we lost the ball as well. And not taking the 3 points so close to the end? What the hell are we thinking doing this. Seriously we have to make better decisions in the next stages.
 
I thought Gatland said the Springboks are the only team in the world which doesn't play rugby. Wonder what he will call the game played by Samoa today. Great discipline from the boys!!! Finally Paddy O' ... never mind.
 
I am surprised at our scrum,great stuff. I agree with DJ,dirty b@stards :mad:

edit:Meant scrum not ruck :D
 
Last edited:
I only saw the players when they were singing the anthems but I knew when they dragged that "Haka" out that they were baiting the Springboks. I told my wife that there would be a fight in the game and boy I was right. The Samoans played dirty. It ws disgraceful. They like the Ozzies dirty player crooks.
 
Firstly let me eat my piece of humble pie, I said we'd knock 50 past them. Must have smoked the same stuff Mr Ref smoked today :p

Once again today showed how much better the boys play when Smit is at the helm from the beginning. Yes Bizmark is the form hooker but I really rate John highly.

That idiot ref better not get a knock-out game to ref.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X