OFFICIAL HTC Desire Thread

I was on MTN Anytime 200 on my previous phone, and I asked for it, and got it...they said something like R150 charge for the new contract on my next bill, but much better than the previous shop that wanted me to pay R500 because I am upgrading early. So essentially it will be a normal upgrade as always.

Sounds reasonable. Will give it a try. Thanks.
 
I will try the linux guide tonight. Downloading the iso from work... ;)

The video really helps , even done from windows 7, so linux is not really necessary
this is what i did: http://theunlockr.com/2010/06/07/how-to-root-the-htc-desire/ ====> your fone will be rooted, but with just a standard ROM and superuser permissions, you will need to use a gold card to achieve this
then i did this: http://theunlockr.com/2010/06/07/how-to-load-a-custom-rom-on-the-htc-desire/

If you want A2SD then you need to have an SD card to format into ext2 partitions, then convert to ext3...NOT EXT4.

if you need any assistance, lemme know, you can prob msn me if you want
 
you will need to use a gold card to achieve this

You only need a GoldCard if your phone is branded. The Desires from MTN are completely unbranded. I don't know about the Desires from Vodacom though.

So, MTN users, no Goldcard necessary.
 
You only need a GoldCard if your phone is branded. The Desires from MTN are completely unbranded. I don't know about the Desires from Vodacom though.

So, MTN users, no Goldcard necessary.

LOL, I stand corrected, Didn't know i needed a gold card, I thought it was to get root access, it did no harm in my case just an extra step and a bit of a scare when i thought i messed up an SD card, luckily i save the original disk image :)

I havent come across a shop selling 32Gb class 6 cards in SA yet, most shops i go to didn' t even know they come in classes, and ridiculously sell the 16GB class 2 for R1 000 or so, overseas you get class 6 32Gb for that price.
 
So I went to a MTN shop just now, I can upgrade to Desire at the new contract subs rate and they arrange a phone from another shop for me in the next day or two.
 
So I went to a MTN shop just now, I can upgrade to Desire at the new contract subs rate and they arrange a phone from another shop for me in the next day or two.

Why not just go to the other shop in the first place? I did, and they saved me R500 the original shop wanted to charge me. I ended up getting mine at North Gate MTN. After the long wait, my upgrade took me 20-30 minutes, phone in hand, off back to work.
 
LOL, I stand corrected, Didn't know i needed a gold card, I thought it was to get root access, it did no harm in my case just an extra step and a bit of a scare when i thought i messed up an SD card, luckily i save the original disk image :)

I havent come across a shop selling 32Gb class 6 cards in SA yet, most shops i go to didn' t even know they come in classes, and ridiculously sell the 16GB class 2 for R1 000 or so, overseas you get class 6 32Gb for that price.

Rectron is selling their 16GB class 2 cards for practically the same price as the 16gb class 6 cards this month...don't know if it's a stuff-up perhaps? Anyhow, they won't have stock till the 12th, so I have to wait...sucks! Their 2gb cards are going for like R50, so will get one just in case I ever need a spare or gold card or something. 1 of my old or small cards is going into my Tytn 2 so I can Android it for my gf to play games on;-)
 
if you need any assistance, lemme know, you can prob msn me if you want

Well, I think its the goldcard creation that is screwing me around. The guide says that after everything is done you should be able to access the coldcard as a removable, and mine just says I need to format it correctly with a error...

Either I need a different card or I'm just doing something wrong...
 
I have a gold card creation tool, maybe u want to search for it, else I can always try to mail it to you if u want. Someone on a previous post suggests we don't need a Goldcard to root if the phone is not branded, not sure if that's the case yet. I did mine with the GC tool
 
I think I tried the tool as well in some earlier posts, but when I checked the first 170 lines on the hex editor afterwards it was not the same as the GC image. I will PM you my email, send it to me if you don't mind then I will try again, I have my usb cable at work today to try again...

EDIT: Something went right this time. Its going past my usual error. Still running atm :D

EDIT 2: ******* Sweet! Rooted! Awesome ninja icon for the superuser thing, haha! Now I followed all the steps to install A2SD, how can I test if it worked correctly and the apps are being installed on the SD card?
 
Last edited:
So i finally have enough cash together to buy the Desire :D. YAY!
Going to get it from CACELL. Anyone had any experiences with them?
 
Desire Faults

Anyone experience the following,

  • Processor max's out - 99%, and the entire phone slows down.
  • Google Talk fails to start
  • GMail fails to refresh, when manually hitting refresh

These are all mutually exclusive problems and all are resolved by rebooting. The problems occur infrequently, but do not resolve themselves - have to reboot. If anyone knows why this happens or of a tool to troubleshoot these problems, e.g. looking at processor usage per application, it would be appreciated.
 
Well, I think its the goldcard creation that is screwing me around. The guide says that after everything is done you should be able to access the coldcard as a removable, and mine just says I need to format it correctly with a error...

Either I need a different card or I'm just doing something wrong...

I have a gold card creation tool, maybe u want to search for it, else I can always try to mail it to you if u want. Someone on a previous post suggests we don't need a Goldcard to root if the phone is not branded, not sure if that's the case yet. I did mine with the GC tool

Guys, you do NOT NEED A GOLD CARD. If your phone isn't branded, you can root without the GoldCard. I speak from experience. I have a Desire, and mine's rooted, and I have never used or created a Goldcard. You guys should just read the rooting guide on XDA, they mention in there too.


Anyone experience the following,

  • Processor max's out - 99%, and the entire phone slows down.
  • Google Talk fails to start
  • GMail fails to refresh, when manually hitting refresh

These are all mutually exclusive problems and all are resolved by rebooting. The problems occur infrequently, but do not resolve themselves - have to reboot. If anyone knows why this happens or of a tool to troubleshoot these problems, e.g. looking at processor usage per application, it would be appreciated.

Nope, never experienced any of these issues.

Hey, have you guys seen that Sense has now been ported to Froyo? I'm really amped for this. Busy downloading the ROM right now :D

Sense ported to Froyo for Desire
 
I obviously needed one because my root procedure never worked, till I refined the GC creation and got it right. (Vodacom phone)
Are the Vodacom Desire's branded?

Anyway, just flashed my Desire to the brand new Froyo ROM that's got Sense :D

I've done NOTHING, except install the Twitter app and my screenshot app :P

snap20100708_121331.jpg


1.jpg


snap20100708_121406.jpg


snap20100708_121425.jpg
 
There's your problem i guess... *evil company

lol, true that...

DAE_JA_VOO, did you use the link you posted just now? Im flashing the normal modaco ROM atm, want to try the froyo one if you don't see any hitches...
 
lol, true that...

DAE_JA_VOO, did you use the link you posted just now? Im flashing the normal modaco ROM atm, want to try the froyo one if you don't see any hitches...

Yes I did. I downloaded the ROM and radio at that link. The flashing didn't take more than maybe 5-10 minutes :)
 
Yes I did. I downloaded the ROM and radio at that link. The flashing didn't take more than maybe 5-10 minutes :)

60% done with the download. Only thing that I can see that I dont like is this:

Know issue:

* There are not wallpapers
* Some times the geolocalization could not work well
* It's possible that some times the device reboot for unknown reasons

But I'll flash it and see. Did you flash the MOD one first, and then the radio one?

EDIT: nevermind, just read through the guide... Will post some pics soon :)
 
Last edited:
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X