Official Super Rugby 2014 Thread

OGroteKoning

Honorary Master
I wish we had played the whole game like the last 15mins. Can't understand why. Bulls brought some serious muscle, holy sheeeet.

Hopefully a wake up call to not overplay the same guys week after week and also hopefully a reason to get rid of some useless new poephols.

Overplay? Maybe you meant overpay... It is only the beginning of the season.

So first game away from home (and first real test - never thought the opening game was a true reflection of the Bulls' strength) and the Sharkies lose. Would like to thank Greg for inspiring me to pick the Blou Bulle.

And Sharks have already had a bye so not buying the over-played excuse at all.

Also think Swiel is over-rated. He did play SA U20 but many of these young proteges think they the bees knees and then fail to make in the big league when they playing not just against their age-group...

Last edited:

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
So first game away from home (and first real test - never thought the opening game was a true reflection of the Bulls' strength) and the Sharkies lose. Would like to thank Greg for inspiring me to pick the Blou Bulle.

pleasure:)

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN

pleasure:)

BobsLawnService

Expert Member
Yeah, Bulls made us look a bit average out there. Well played.

I thought Swiel had an ok game given the circumstances. He was thrown into the deep end and didn't make too many howlers.

Good for SA rugby to see another SA team step up.

ponder

Honorary Master
kick
kick
kick
kick
kick
kick
kick
FFS

don't a shyte who wins, this is a poor rugby display.

Yeah I did not enjoy this game, fortunately the beer was on tap, cold and virtually free :D

BobsLawnService

Expert Member
More: http://www.superxv.com/41931/1/referee-berry-leaves-bitter-after-taste-for-reds#.Uy6__dy1Pkg

I like it when it is a crime if the "victim" is the NZA part of SANZAR but we must get over it in SA.

From that article
TMO Greef said there was no conclusive evidence as there was no clear view of the ball being grounded.

Erm, the TMO saw the ball being grounded but was unsure about whether there was a second movement. What a load of cobblers.

I am no Lions supporter but the repeated cynical infringements by the Reds when they were defending in their 22 needed to be dealt with. They deserved those cards.

sand_man

Honorary Master
I see Naka is having a bitch about the Argentinean ref that blew their game.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I am no Lions supporter but the repeated cynical infringements by the Reds when they were defending in their 22 needed to be dealt with. They deserved those cards.
Thanks. That makes me feel better (a bit) better. That comment from a Lions supporter would be instantly dismissed as tainted by partisanship. Much appreciated. Helps to mitigate the squirming that's plagued me since the game.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
I see Naka is having a bitch about the Argentinean ref that blew their game.

I don't blame him to be honest, that chop and the one blowing the Lions game were awful beyond being awful. One just has to look at the good game the ref from the Bulls/Sharks match had and see just how terrible those 2 were.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Mallett: Berry was shocking

The Reds are right to fume about the performance of referee Stuart Berry during their loss to the Lions, according to rugby pundit Nick Mallett.

The Lions beat the Reds 23-20 in a Super Rugby match at Ellis Park on Saturday after trailing 20-3 at one stage.

The match would, however, not only be remembered for the Lions' spirited fightback but also for the influence Berry had in the match.

The Reds were on the wrong side of his whistle as they were severely penalised in the second half.

The result left Reds coach Richard Graham frustrated.

"The penalty count was 19-4 against us, I don't think I've ever been involved in a game where the penalty count has been like that," Graham told SAPA.

''Certainly we will be speaking to Lyndon Bray, the referees boss to get clarification.

"It was extremely frustrating, at 20-3 we were certainly good enough and we should have gone on with it but with that penalty count against you it makes it extremely difficult."

The game swung in the Lions' favour 10 minutes from time when James Hanson was shown a yellow card in the 70th minute before Jake Schatz joined him in the sin-bin four minutes later.

And Mallett, speaking on SuperSport after the game, agreed that the performance of Berry was questionable.

"Stuart Berry spent his entire second half looking only at the Reds," said Mallett.

"I have to agree with Naas (Botha), who has just said that the Lions haven’t always got the referee decisions in the past but they got it all in one game today. The Reds have every reason to feel aggrieved.

"My feeling was that Berry was very flustered in the end and that he was only looking at the Reds errors. He penalised the Reds with four minutes to go at scrum, which was never a penalty. He then allowed a skew lineout throw with two minutes to go and gave a try when the grounding was inconclusive.

"It was a shocking performance," concluded Mallett.

Berry also came under fire last week when he, along with the same TMO Johan Greeff, allowed the Lions a controversial try in their narrow win over the Blues.

SANZAR afterwards issued a statement that the try should not have been awarded.

DJ...

Banned
Stuart Berry has been atrocious this season.

And well done Bulls....and Greg. :eek: