Official Super Rugby 2014 Thread

There is no easy pick to be made next week:

(H v A)
HURRICANES v BLUES
REBELS v FORCE
CHIEFS v CRUSADERS
WARATAHS v BULLS
SHARKS v CHEETAHS
STORMERS v LIONS

I already made my picks, touchy with the Rebels and Force... can add the same in regard with the Blues and Canes. Saders is likely to be back in the game, nonetheless the Chiefs is no pushover. Don't know about the Bulls, perhaps... No way can the Cheetahs possibly win the Sharks at their current rate. My beloved Province, how to avoid relegation 101.
 
This is a weekend of 50/50 calls. Other than The Sharks game, of course...
 
This is a weekend of 50/50 calls. Other than The Sharks game, of course...

Of course!
The ref is always the 16th player for the opposition.

I read an article on Sport24 regarding the "Chattyness" of the du Plessis brothers, and sadly have to agree. I don't want our team to suffer due to the lack of finesse in dealing with officials. Not all the banter is unwarranted, but we need to have someone perhaps less emotional (Bissie is perhaps too passionate) talking to the ref.
 
Of course!
The ref is always the 16th player for the opposition.

I read an article on Sport24 regarding the "Chattyness" of the du Plessis brothers, and sadly have to agree. I don't want our team to suffer due to the lack of finesse in dealing with officials. Not all the banter is unwarranted, but we need to have someone perhaps less emotional (Bissie is perhaps too passionate) talking to the ref.

Frans Steyn. He can barely string a sentence together as it is...
 
For your sake I really hope the Cheetahs do not manage one of those, and I quote....

No worries this week. We'll handle it even if they do, but I expect a good margin from this game. Next week we'll see the cheetahs bounce back...
 
My Cheetahs really have become the whipping boys of the tournament. I expect the Stormers to bounce back this weekend. They won't make the play-offs but they will finish the second half of the tournament as one of the dominant teams.
 
Frans Steyn. He can barely string a sentence together as it is...

:D
Or have John Smit running up and down the sideline yelling to the ref like Victor. Oh wait... our youngsters were good enough to take over from the 'legends'.
 
When are the Sharks actually facing serious opposition again? I keep seeing that they playing easy teams. Their only hard game has been against the Bulls at Loftus.
 
Shame, breezy fans have nothing to crow about in the rugby and even their trolling falls flat. Like their team.
 
When are the Sharks actually facing serious opposition again? I keep seeing that they playing easy teams. Their only hard game has been against the Bulls at Loftus.

The force is the easy choice this weekend - they'll annihilate. But Chris, you raise a very important thing: the Sharks face their toughest foreign competition at home. They are so super primed for an easy road not only to the finals but to glory - much like the BULLS had in 2009. If the fück it up at the finals this year (which they really should reach), the only reason I WON'T be disappointed is if that loss is to the BULLS.

It is known in these parts that I am NOT a sharks fan. But, the old SA over anyone else - especially those mutton-fücking kin-raping inbreeding retards in the antipodes. So what I say is not an admiration of the sharks.

Things in their favour:
(a) A fantastic lineup, like it or not, made up of new bloods and experienced players that are still young enough to play every week.
(b) Jake the snake. I don't like him at all but he remains a remarkable talent.
(c) Smit. With that man at the helm, a positive attitude starts at the top and filters down.
(d) A soft enough run in.
(e) A later tour - this helps morale. Like you won't believe, especially there, where an early tour has often killed their spirits (As well as their following).

Not only can they take it this year, but they can do so with ease: chiefs are good but off form. crusaders are playing on name. all australian teams are longing after their livestock.
 
Shame, breezy fans have nothing to crow about in the rugby and even their trolling falls flat. Like their team.

In a manner you are correct, but Stormers won't end last, they will win the Lions game and carry through halfway up the log. The SA conference as a whole is appalling.
 
Nope. Breezers to finish stone last in the SA log imo. They're the only team to not show an ounce of talent this year.

I sincerely hope that they turn it around, for SA rugby's sake, but they haven't done anything to make me confident of that happening...
 
Nope. Breezers to finish stone last in the SA log imo. They're the only team to not show an ounce of talent this year.

I sincerely hope that they turn it around, for SA rugby's sake, but they haven't done anything to make me confident of that happening...

Let's see:

Week 2: Lions (H/W) - Week 10 the Lions may throw an winning hat-trick against the Stormers
Week 3: Canes (A/L)
Week 4: Saders (H/W)
Week 5: Champs (H/W)
Week 6: Brumbies (H/W)
Week 7: Reds (H/W)
Week 8: Tahs (A/W)

Losing all the away games and one home game against strong teams... We are revisiting the Lions and there will be no hat-trick going either way. Let's see how well we do at home. Week 11 we are going up against the Cheetahs in Newlands. Week 12 will tell which way we "want" to go, Highlanders will go to Cape Town to take the win, no easy match.
 
I'm worried about The Sharks. We're winning ugly at home so I don't think we're going to shine on tour.
 
Shame, breezy fans have nothing to crow about in the rugby and even their trolling falls flat. Like their team.

Well I actually think the Sharks have a very good chance of winning it this year, but only because there is no real stand out team. Sharks will in all probability finish top of the log due to an easy SA league and a lucky draw on tour. Anyway, I see the next hard game for the Sharkies is only on the 10th of May. I have to agree with Greg's analysis - the NZ teams are unusually mediocre this year & besides the Brumbies, no Australian team inspires confidence.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X