Old Core i7 Laptop Secondhand, Good deal?

BLIXEMPIE

Honorary Master
I can get a Dell XPS L401 laptop with Core i7-740QM, 8GB Ram, 500GB HDD, GT 425M 2GB for R3000. Is this a good deal?

DerpiesFreud

Expert Member
hmm Quad Core,8GB ram and a GT425M for 3k.I`d say thats a pretty good deal if not a great deal.
Possibly too good... Make sure everything is in good condition,how old is it?
My mothers school had a brand new Dualie i5,6GB ram,onboard intel,500GB hdd for 3.5k

BLIXEMPIE

Honorary Master
hmm Quad Core,8GB ram and a GT425M for 3k.I`d say thats a pretty good deal if not a great deal.
Possibly too good... Make sure everything is in good condition,how old is it?
My mothers school had a brand new Dualie i5,6GB ram,onboard intel,500GB hdd for 3.5k

It's a 2011 model. Apparently warranty is still intact up to July. Is your mom's school selling one for R3500? What i5 cpu exactly?

DerpiesFreud

Expert Member
It's a 2011 model. Apparently warranty is still intact up to July. Is your mom's school selling one for R3500? What i5 cpu exactly?
so about +- 2 years old,I`d check battery life too,my 4 or 5 year lappy has 10 mins of battery life.
Not really sure,I don`t live with my mom :p
Dual core w/2.4ish Ghz.Don`t remember if it has HT or not.
15.6" 1366x768 res
it`s an HP model too

and yes my mom`s school is selling one for 3.5k
maybe not anymore,this was sometime last year

BLIXEMPIE

Honorary Master
so about +- 2 years old,I`d check battery life too,my 4 or 5 year lappy has 10 mins of battery life.
Not really sure,I don`t live with my mom :p
Dual core w/2.4ish Ghz.Don`t remember if it has HT or not.
15.6" 1366x768 res
it`s an HP model too

and yes my mom`s school is selling one for 3.5k
maybe not anymore,this was sometime last year

Lol. Okay, the i7 is a bit better then.

|3ash3r

I can get a Dell XPS L401 laptop with Core i7-740QM, 8GB Ram, 500GB HDD, GT 425M 2GB for R3000. Is this a good deal?

Decent laptop at a great price. Even though warranty is good up to July, make sure they haven't put extra components in that may void the warranty. If they have put components in, be sure to check Event and System logs to make sure no disk errors are appearing (happened to my old laptop after putting RAM in at the shop rendering the hard drive useless - they didn't put the RAM in properly - and since the HDD was out of warranty, the guys who put the RAM in were in the clear because their RAM stick was still functioning :mad:).

CataclysmZA

Executive Member

Gees, I'd hit that. Stuff a SSD inside and you are good to go. You won't even notice that it's old tech.

DerpiesFreud

Expert Member
Lol. Okay, the i7 is a bit better then.
Yeah I forgot to mention that its a 3rd gen opposed to the 1st gen in this case.
Decent laptop at a great price. Even though warranty is good up to July, make sure they haven't put extra components in that may void the warranty. If they have put components in, be sure to check Event and System logs to make sure no disk errors are appearing (happened to my old laptop after putting RAM in at the shop rendering the hard drive useless - they didn't put the RAM in properly - and since the HDD was out of warranty, the guys who put the RAM in were in the clear because their RAM stick was still functioning :mad:).
Yoh I`d make sure too,unless they wiped the logs which would be dodgy

Conack

Expert Member
If you don't want it, I'll take it :whistling:
In other words: Get it!

TehStranger

Executive Member
It is a good deal but not out of the ordinary, what res is the screen, 1366 x 768? If so that's not great, but if you can manage it then I'd get it if I were you, add an SSD and it makes for a perfect portable machine that has some graphics oomph for basic gaming.

BLIXEMPIE

Honorary Master
Think someone just beat me to it. If he doesn't take it (which I highly doubt) I will. Thanks for advice guys.