Old R200 note

tRoN

Executive Member
So I had an old R200 note (not fake) and I went into a store and they refused to accept it.
Is this acceptable? What recourse do I have?

3WA

Executive Member
So I had an old R200 note (not fake) and I went into a store and they refused to accept it.
Yes, it's acceptable. Those notes were taken out of circulation a few years ago because of the high rate of counterfeiting. Surprised that the store staff still remembered this.

Take it to a bank.

MR.C

Expert Member
They were phasing out some of the old notes about 5 years ago iirc. We had to get it exchanged at the reserve bank.

Did you try depositing at an atm ? Might work.

Exchange of old R200 banknotes
Old R200 banknotes may be exchanged at the South African Reserve Bank Head Office teller and Branches in Bloemfontein, Cape Town, Durban, East London, Johannesburg and Port Elizabeth. Details regarding each Branch may be obtained by clicking here.

Operating Hours

08h30 to 12h00 (Monday – Friday)

Limitation on amount exchanged

The Bank's branches will exchange amounts up to R10 000 and any amount in excess will have to be credited into individuals / company bank accounts. Clients must supply the following information as is required by Financial Intelligence Centre Act.

1. Positive identification: ID / Passport document
2. Commercial bank account details
3. Source of Income / Origin of the funds
4. Proof of residence (e.g. electricity bill; rates and water accounts;
telephone accounts).
https://www.resbank.co.za/AboutUs/PublicAwareness/Pages/ExchangeofoldR200banknotes.aspx

mh348

Expert Member
The old R200 note without the Coat of Arms logo is no longer accepted. You'll have to take it to the reserve bank to exchange.

Space

Here is a 2013 article about this -

Did you know that all notes and coins ever issued in South Africa remain legal tender? Okay, almost all.

In 2010 the Reserve Bank “recalled” the pre-2005 R200 note, and the few that remain in circulation may not be presented for payment; they may only be exchanged at a branch of the Reserve Bank.

That is the only note that is no longer legal tender.

The best way to spot this recalled “leopard” R200 note is this: It does not have a row of five diamonds on it, beneath the leopard’s face, which the later, more counterfeit-proof “leopard” R200 note does.

All the “diamond” notes remain legal tender, as do all the other notes and coins ever produced.

https://www.iol.co.za/pretoria-news/to-shops-who-refuse-customers-cash-take-note-1529942

mh348

Expert Member
The easiest way to differentiate the notes is the new one has the Coat of Arms and the old doesn't.

mh348

Expert Member
Keep it with you, if you see a cashier in training at any store, buy a small item and take your change.

Daruk

Honorary Master
I got a R100 note about the same age from a Nedbank ATM last week.

lws

When my mom went to change an old R200 note (one whole R200) at the Reserve Bank and they made her fill in a form. Maybe bring your ID just in case.

Corelli

Yes they may reject it

Legal tender only if in circulation which it isn't. It was replaced with a new note. Try giving a German a 1 million old Deutschmark note, it may have been legal tender after ww2 but it isn't now. So legally they only need to accept what is currently in circulation. You calling it old is exactly that.

Your only stop is the reserve bank, none of the banks normally will accept it. Also they will put it under uV light to see if it's real. Same with other notes and bank cards that also glow under uv notes (not many know this).

If it's fake they will ask you a lot of questions especially since you're only using it now, after it went out of circulation a while ago. If it's fake they can refuse to accept it, even if real they can also refuse.

Speedster

Executive Member
I deposited an old R200 at the ATM yesterday without any issues.

MrManni

Hi , Is it the one attached ?
If you still have it , please let me know ... please please:)
R200 Note.jpeg

scudsucker

Expert Member
I may have a couple.
What do you want to do with it?
Those are the best for impressing people when you snort cocaine: you look like you've got loads of cash but it's actually not really worth anything.