Online Gaming

zolly

Expert Member
I got way less than that to EU both on ADSL and fiber. I assume by EU you mean London, have about 145ms fiber Frogfoot, 150ms Openserve and Vox and about 155ms on ADSL.

Depends on the game and where the servers are hosted. Lots of games actually don't have data centers in London, hence why ping is slightly higher. I know Apex Legends has a data center in London, and that gets me about 145 ms ping.

zolly

Expert Member
Logged a call with WA, they reset my port and my ping went from 300 to 260, still high I feel. I will try the cable tonight. Thanks fpr the advice guys.

That makes sense for US servers. Try and figure out how to connect to EU for games that don't have local servers, and connect to local servers for the games that do. Again, no idea how this works because I don't have a console.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Ahh reset the port. Isn't that the buzz words that ISP's used on ADSL..... Pfff.

Very few games actually host servers in the UK. Apex and Battlefield does. Others are hosted in France, Germany or Netherlands for EUW.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Ahh reset the port. Isn't that the buzz words that ISP's used on ADSL..... Pfff.

Very few games actually host servers in the UK. Apex and Battlefield does. Others are hosted in France, Germany or Netherlands for EUW.
Yeah should be around 5-10ms difference.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Yeah should be around 5-10ms difference.

Yeah from JHB/PTA or any ISP using JHB IPC or peer at teraco will get ~165ms to London and ~184ms to France give or take a few ms. These were the lowest numbers I could get with Supersonic and Infogro. I'm thinking Vumatel might be a few ms lower but I don't think it will go much.

sparticus

Expert Member
Definitely sounds like you're playing on international servers if your ping is that high.

ok just an update - so I tried the cable route and my speed went fron 30Mb to 95 Mb !! Thats about where the great news stopped, My ping remained in the 250-260 !!! So thats that I suppose.

PS - Yes I am playing on international servers

R4ziel

Expert Member
ok just an update - so I tried the cable route and my speed went fron 30Mb to 95 Mb !! Thats about where the great news stopped, My ping remained in the 250-260 !!! So thats that I suppose.

PS - Yes I am playing on international servers

If you are playing on international servers the only way to get a lower ping than 150-200 is to actually move overseas, no amount of bandwidth is going to solve that

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Bandwidth (6MB vs 100MB) has very little influence on gaming.

It's only latency (ping) that really matters and if you are playing games on international servers that wouldn't have changed much at all.

Local servers it was probably never a problem to begin with.

cavedog

Honorary Master
If you have a half decent ISP and reside in Gauteng with a fibre line then EU latency should be less than 200ms. If not move ISP's