Opel Corsa fuel supply problem

kolaval

Expert Member
Hi all

OK I have an Opel Corsa 1.4 2003 model with 270K km's.
It started to loose power intermittently causing the car to jerk as (feels like someone is "switching" the fuel on and off) so I replaced the filters, plugs etc as part of normal service.
That did not help, so I took it to a mechanic and they replaced the fuel pump.

In between this the coil pack broke so I replaced it and the plug cables as well(thought it a good idea after 270K km), so that's working fine now.

Still the car has the problem with the fuel so I take it back, and they cannot find the problem.
It seems to happen when the car is hot(I.E not during the 10 minutes to work and back) and going uphill.

Can anyone help me, since it is utterly frustrating not knowing what to fix?

guest2013-1

AFAIK the Corsa 1.4 2003 model is fuel injected (Corsa 1.4i) so you might have to take a look at that. Could be a software issue as well. In my experience GM isn't capable of doing the job, so if the mechanic was at a dealership, you may try and seek the advice of a mechanic that knows his **** and works independently. Took them over a year to identify a problem with my car and another 3 months "waiting for a part" and when it was fixed, the gearbox went kaplow. This was on 34000km...not worth the money and frustration

upup

Executive Member
fuel pump relay. next to driver door, in front, near floor. Your fuel filter is fine?

syrrano

The fuel pump relay could be the problem as Robertvv says

Sometimes with age they develop dry solder joints which can affect the power feed to the pump

If you open the relay and look at the larger solder joints for the relay contacts you may see that the solder has separated from the relay pin in the center. Resoldering the joint usually solves the problem

MarnusNieuwoudt

Hi, I have the exact same problem. Instead of fixing soldering, wouldn't it just be easier to replace the whole fuel pump relay? I heard that they aren't really expensive?

syrrano

Yes, you can get replacement relays and they are not expensive

kolaval

Expert Member
Hi
Just to update.
During the same time I replaced the plug wires and had the fuel pump fixed, the little black box that the plug wires come out with, had a problem and I had to replace it as well(dunno its name though, think it is a distributor?).
Also the fuel remained an issue until I took the car to another garage.
They found that the first garage had ripped out the fuel pump holder out of my tank because the pirate pump did not fit.
Alas a new pump and tank later my issues were resolved

MarnusNieuwoudt

My problems started quite a while ago, we replaced the fuel pump with a fake one;
Since then we've had to treat quater tank as empty (Cant actually remember if the guage was reliable in the 1st place)
It works fine, except when the fuel starts getting low (Anywhere under a quater tank);
If you go around bends or anything it cuts out and struggles to get fuel, then when going straight again its fixed.

Do you guys think i should replace the relay, the fuel pump, or both?
(1.4 Sport, 2003 model Corsa bakkie)

___

Thanks, had the same issue, car randomly just cuts out while driving, then won't start for a minute or two and then suddenly starts again. First replaced the idling control valve (R250 from Abe Midas) as recommended on another post, but that didn't work. Then I replaced the fuel pump relay (R105 from Hatfield Goldwagen) and this solved the problem.

Johanhalgryn

Good day all
I have an opel corsa bakkie that is loosing spark on number 1 spark plug i did change the plug wires but its stil the same the car was at mechanics but everyone gives me different stuff to by but car dont come right please help me

thechamp

Honorary Master
Good day all
I have an opel corsa bakkie that is loosing spark on number 1 spark plug i did change the plug wires but its stil the same the car was at mechanics but everyone gives me different stuff to by but car dont come right please help me
How did you determine that it's losing the spark on plug 1?

thechamp

Honorary Master
Coil? That is what is supposed to produce the high voltage, what are the mechanics suggesting?

thechamp

Honorary Master
For not having spark on one sparkplug. Find a new machanic.
Exactly this, it should also be the wake up call to stop depending too much on mechanics and start learning how to fix your own car. With so much information on the internet there is absolutely no reason why people are still falling victim to crooks who pretend to be mechanics.