Opel Corsa fuel supply problem

ReganM

Hi all

OK I have an Opel Corsa 1.4 2003 model with 270K km's.
It started to loose power intermittently causing the car to jerk as (feels like someone is "switching" the fuel on and off) so I replaced the filters, plugs etc as part of normal service.
That did not help, so I took it to a mechanic and they replaced the fuel pump.

In between this the coil pack broke so I replaced it and the plug cables as well(thought it a good idea after 270K km), so that's working fine now.

Still the car has the problem with the fuel so I take it back, and they cannot find the problem.
It seems to happen when the car is hot(I.E not during the 10 minutes to work and back) and going uphill.

Can anyone help me, since it is utterly frustrating not knowing what to fix?

1) Test the mass airflow sensor. If the engine cuts off a few seconds and the fault light comes on while driving, it may be the mass air flow sensor. (YouTube shows how to test it).

2) The fuel pump relay should also be tested.

You have an OBD2 port, so diagnostic plug in equipment can give the error codes.

thechamp

Honorary Master
1) Test the mass airflow sensor. If the engine cuts off a few seconds and the fault light comes on while driving, it may be the mass air flow sensor. (YouTube shows how to test it).

2) The fuel pump relay should also be tested.

You have an OBD2 port, so diagnostic plug in equipment can give the error codes.
2012 post that you responding to, but I guess the advice is still useful.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Does fuel pump relay sharing relay with injectors ? Corsa lite 1.4
No, they don't use the same relay. I could be wrong but I don't think there's an injector relay, there's a fuel pump relay that pushes petrol to the rail, from there I think the injectors are always powered when the car is on and communicate directly with the ECU to energize. There is a fuse though.

Last edited:

kolaval

Executive Member
No, they don't use the same relay. I could be wrong but I don't think there's an injector relay, there's a fuel pump relay that pushes petrol to the rail, from there I think the injectors are always powered and communicate directly with the ECU to energize. There is a fuse though.

Misfire

Hi all..
I first owned an opel kadet cub 1300 back in 1999.
20 years later i purchase a project car an opel corsa lite.. 2006.
With regards to the cutting off issue.. i must admit as much as i am a huge opel fan.. The corsa is a gigantic headache for such an old small car.
Give me a car with carb & No computer box Anyday.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Hi all..
I first owned an opel kadet cub 1300 back in 1999.
20 years later i purchase a project car an opel corsa lite.. 2006.
With regards to the cutting off issue.. i must admit as much as i am a huge opel fan.. The corsa is a gigantic headache for such an old small car.
Give me a car with carb & No computer box Anyday.
Is it not a case of people misdiagnosing and proceeding to rip things apart and in the process introducing other faults? I am always surprised when people go on about computer boxes, all the issues I have come across in different cars that were attributed to a computer box always turns out to be something else.

I've had a Corsa for years now and the most common issue on those cars is the coil pack, which is easily fixed. Mine is closing in on 300k kms now and I have just not long ago discovered where the computer box is located on the car, because I have never ever had to fiddle with that in all my years of owning the car.

kolaval

Executive Member
It makes me wonder where we are headed with new vehicles. There's a sense of "drive it while it is within it's service plan, then get rid of it, because it will be expensive to fix".
Is it the motor industry trying to kill the second hand market?

thechamp

Honorary Master
It makes me wonder where we are headed with new vehicles. There's a sense of "drive it while it is within it's service plan, then get rid of it, because it will be expensive to fix".
Is it the motor industry trying to kill the second hand market?
A friend has a 2016 Figo he bought recently, started acting up a couple of months after he bought it, it would at random time lose power to a point that it just cannot move, even in first gear.

First time Ford said they could not find anything wrong, he took the car back hoping it was just a once of thing but a month later the car did the same thing, back to Ford it went and the dealer has now assured him all that was needed was a software upgrade, they have done that and the car is now fixed.

The part about a car needing a software upgrade to run properly got me thinking, if you depend on regular independent mechanics to fix your car how do you survive with these software updates waiting to get you?

kolaval

Executive Member
The move to more computerisation inevitable though.
Mechanics will have to become more like engineers.
I see it happening and hear the way mechanics talk about not wanting anything to do with that "computer stuff".

ReganM

Hi all

OK I have an Opel Corsa 1.4 2003 model with 270K km's.
It started to loose power intermittently causing the car to jerk as (feels like someone is "switching" the fuel on and off) so I replaced the filters, plugs etc as part of normal service.
That did not help, so I took it to a mechanic and they replaced the fuel pump.

In between this the coil pack broke so I replaced it and the plug cables as well(thought it a good idea after 270K km), so that's working fine now.

Still the car has the problem with the fuel so I take it back, and they cannot find the problem.
It seems to happen when the car is hot(I.E not during the 10 minutes to work and back) and going uphill.

Can anyone help me, since it is utterly frustrating not knowing what to fix?
Opel Corsa lite 1.4
I had a similar problem, after driving for 20 minutes the car would just switch off and it would start up immediately or I would just kick start when it switched off, eventually it started doing this often, so I replace the crankshaft sensor at first, didn't help, then then I replaced the fuel pump relay, that resolved the problem.

Misfire

Hi all
I hava a brand new opel corsa lite crank sensor. R 300
Contact me via this site.

Attachments

• 20200627_204417.jpg
    20200627_204417.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 9

Misfire

Pardon.. but i beg to differ here!
Hands down this car is a headache!
Changed tps.css.icv.tbs.plugs.leads.coil.
Without any error coming up on an OBD2 scan.
So ive decided to just park this car off and perhaps buy another project car.
In any respect this car is yet worth 35odd k on the market.
And.. im merely airing my views on a public platform.
I would like my opinion respected.
No replies required!

Misfire

People and their opinions after i post...
Eish..
So i called Germany.. and ive discovered the problems with the corsa firsthand.
I wont share this here as there is a grand master who would probably critic facts.
Anyway.. all the best to those who have vehicle issues.
This forum as well... a whole lot of garbage guess work being thrown around.

Misfire

Pardon me "champ" but you've not much help here... just guess work and a whole lot of "oh you gotta have the last say"

Flarsiep

Pardon me "champ" but you've not much help here... just guess work and a whole lot of "oh you gotta have the last say"
horsecrap. Champ has a lot of experience on Opels, Corsas specifically. GO look through the posts on opels that needed help.

You need ot explain better. A diagnosis is only as good as the explanation of the problem.
So why do you not calm down, and put down your symptoms again?

thechamp

Honorary Master
What did you do champ???? :ROFL:
Nothing much, my only sin was responding to his post. See for yourself, post#28 and tell me if you see anything that is worthy of the meltdown this chap is having.