Openserve CISP price decrease

cavedog

Honorary Master
Did anyone think Telkom (ohh sorry Openserve) will move from being the most expensive to offer services on to the only operator with the highest entry point for fibre at the lowest price compared to all operators excluding Vuma Reach obviously.

I remember were begging Vuma to roll out now I see people saying I want to be on Openserve please. :laugh:

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Did anyone think Telkom (ohh sorry Openserve) will move from being the most expensive to offer services on to the only operator with the highest entry point for fibre at the lowest price compared to all operators excluding Vuma Reach obviously.

I remember were begging Vuma to roll out now I see people saying I want to be on Openserve please. :laugh:

Very true...

In many cases Vumatel is now actually quite more pricey than Openserve. Openserve's network is of decent quality as well, considering that it's GPON.

My feeling is that they're pricing it to be competitive to drive uptake, and as per usual at some point in the future increase prices to increase revenue. Seems to have been the MO for most fibre operators.

In the meantime ISP's are swallowing the "free upgrades" and "covid speed incentive" pills with no increase in price, even though there is obviously an increase in costs when delivering a higher speed service.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Very true...

In many cases Vumatel is now actually quite more pricey than Openserve. Openserve's network is of decent quality as well, considering that it's GPON.

My feeling is that they're pricing it to be competitive to drive uptake, and as per usual at some point in the future increase prices to increase revenue. Seems to have been the MO for most fibre operators.

In the meantime ISP's are swallowing the "free upgrades" and "covid speed incentive" pills with no increase, even though there is obviously an increase in costs when delivering a higher speed service.

FNOs know this. As an FNO if you increase prices you still retain clients but as an ISP if you increase prices the cancellations starts rolling in.

Kilerhotdog

FNOs know this. As an FNO if you increase prices you still retain clients but as an ISP if you increase prices the cancellations starts rolling in.

I heard somewhere a while ago that ISP's didn't make any money on Openserve clients and basically made even like didn't lose or gain money. Won't ISPs be losing money now?

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
I heard somewhere a while ago that ISP's didn't make any money on Openserve clients and basically made even like didn't lose or gain money. Won't ISPs be losing money now?
All I can say is that ISP's make the least of the margin, and take most of the flak.

DeatheCore

I moved from Openserve to Vumatel like 2 years ago... time to move back it seems... :unsure:
Lucky you... OS decided to rollout to basically every area surrounding mine... :confused: and they were supposed to be the first fibre FNO in my area, I remember receiving rollout coverage updates via email... then Vumatel just showed up lol. Still remain the only FNO choice.

SAguy

Executive Member
Looking forward to my price decrease... and I must say, I can't complain about my speeds.
Below on wifi, not bad I'd say.

1613552390598.png

Wouldn't have minded if my price stayed the same (instead of R300 price drop) but I could get 200/200 line instead of the 200/100.

jbarker

Any idea if the new speed increase / price decrease will affect the Cool Ideas business packages on Openserve?

vermillon

Any of you had a speed increase yet ? Im still on 100mb :(, was hoping I would be 200mb by now :(

DYreX146

Any of you had a speed increase yet ? Im still on 100mb :(, was hoping I would be 200mb by now :(
Mine went from 100 to 200Mbps on the 1st, but my upload is still 50Mbps instead of 100 for some reason.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
It will take Openserve a while to implement all the changes.

From our side, it's been done.