OpenServe or Octotel

SAguy

Executive Member
Our area currently has overhead OpenServe fibre, we're now getting Octotel trenched.
Should I consider moving? I think for the same price as my current 200/100 line I can get 200/200 with Octotel.

ajules

Expert Member
Have considered this myself as I have both options available.I have been on Openserve for about 3 years and they have been rock solid.

Never used Octotel but from reading these forums their network is clearly not as stable - currently.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Our area currently has overhead OpenServe fibre, we're now getting Octotel trenched.
Should I consider moving? I think for the same price as my current 200/100 line I can get 200/200 with Octotel.
Had a Openserve fibre line at home for a year had 0 issues but chose to swap to Vumatel since at the time it was cheaper. We have Octotel at work and let's just say I can't wait for 24th November 2021 to switch the fibre provider to Vumatel. Depends also on the area i know someone who has a decent experience with them.

ProfA

Honorary Master
have had the overhead fibre for the past 4+ years. zero issues from them.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Openserve is probably the best FNO in SA. We have thousands and thousands of Openserve clients and hardly see any support queries from them. They never complain about speed, downtime or packet loss.

SAguy

Executive Member
have had the overhead fibre for the past 4+ years. zero issues from them.
I just need to go chat to my one neighbour, behind and diagonally across. They have a tree that's getting dangerously close. That's about the worst that can happen I guess

Openserve is probably the best FNO in SA. We have thousands and thousands of Openserve clients and hardly see any support queries from them. They never complain about speed, downtime or packet loss.
Just a pity they are more expensive in general it seems? Although if they more stable then I'm happy to pay more.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I just need to go chat to my one neighbour, behind and diagonally across. They have a tree that's getting dangerously close. That's about the worst that can happen I guess

Just a pity they are more expensive in general it seems? Although if they more stable then I'm happy to pay more.

Well not really. Prices on Openserve has come down significantly. They are priced about the same or cheaper than the other operators if you look at various top ISPs pricing on Openserve.

ProfA

Honorary Master

worst problem is trees. but even then its never really all that serious. at the start of lockdown i actually had a tree in my garden fall over and lay on the fibre line. i cut it down within a day of discovering the problem but they leave so much slack in the lines even if it did bring down the line, i think it would have just used all the slack in the roof and still worked.

and price these days of openserve is getting more and more competitive to where its coming very close to or even sometimes beating the other infrastructure providers. i pay +-R930 for a 50/25mb uncapped service.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
worst problem is trees. but even then its never really all that serious. at the start of lockdown i actually had a tree in my garden fall over and lay on the fibre line. i cut it down within a day of discovering the problem but they leave so much slack in the lines even if it did bring down the line, i think it would have just used all the slack in the roof and still worked.

and price these days of openserve is getting more and more competitive to where its coming very close to or even sometimes beating the other infrastructure providers. i pay +-R930 for a 50/25mb uncapped service.
Still waiting for those details of your friend btw ;)