Openserve to shut down ADSL exchanges

SoundRSA

Dealer
Hey all

I live in Groenewoud Street, Sonkring, Brackenfell.

Our exchange has been earmarked to be shut down.
This is all fine and dandy however there is just 1 small problem. We dont have have fibre in our street.

Openserve has the contract for the street but Vumatel has the contract for the connecting streets. They will not work together and therefore we have no fibre.

We recently got PureADSL because the Line of Sight wifi was absolutely terribly. Not fast, more than 200ms jitter and constantly dropping.
I have no LTE coverage, we've tried Rain, MTN, Telkom, Vodacom, etc. 1 bar of signal.

What can I do? Afrihost cant help me.

Less than a month ago I spent R800 on a router and now its going to be useless because I cant use it.

"D"

Expert Member
I have no LTE coverage, we've tried Rain, MTN, Telkom, Vodacom, etc. 1 bar of signal.

What can I do?
Switch to Cell C. :sneaky:

Face it, you live in a shitty shitty spot. Give notice to your landlord/landlady tomorrow, 31 July.

But seriously, the suburbs earmarked for shutdown of their DSL exchanges will start from 1 September, not necessarily on 1 September.

upup

Executive Member
WISP, by us people are going this route. now there is a DSTV antenna on the wall and a WISP on a pole.

SoundRSA

Dealer
Switch to Cell C. :sneaky:

Face it, you live in a shitty shitty spot. Give notice to your landlord/landlady tomorrow, 31 July.

But seriously, the suburbs earmarked for shutdown of their DSL exchanges will start from 1 September, not necessarily on 1 September.
We own the house, so, thats not gonne work.

WISP, by us people are going this route. now there is a DSTV antenna on the wall and a WISP on a pole.
We had a WISP (which I called line of sight wifi). It was terrible. 200ms jitter, speed no faster than 10mb. Honestly 512k ADSL was more reliable and faster

upup

Executive Member

We had a WISP (which I called line of sight wifi). It was terrible. 200ms jitter, speed no faster than 10mb. Honestly 512k ADSL was more reliable and faster
a friend of mine had no ADSL and horrible vodacom. I went to Afrihost site , and saw that with mtn lte there was good data.
He decided to go with Afrihost, and next thing, Vumatel arrive and is busy installing fiber as we speak.

Reactions: Yuu

Dretastic06

Have your tried bitco? 30mbps and the latency looks decent like 11ms

Retro1337

what about LTE with an external antenna? Doubt it will be a major performance increase but should help alot

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I do believe the 1 September thing was an internal memo to ISP’s that they would START phasing out of DSL in those areas.

It’s not a hard cut off on that day.

As such this would actually be the best motivator to get the street sorted out with fibre.

I’m also in the area and it seems to me the coverage map is lying anyway as I’m pretty sure I’ve seen fibre boxes on Northern half or so of the street.

Reactions: Yuu

cavedog

Honorary Master
Hey all

This is all fine and dandy however there is just 1 small problem. We dont have have fibre in our street.

Openserve has the contract for the street but Vumatel has the contract for the connecting streets. They will not work together and therefore we have no fibre.

We recently got PureADSL because the Line of Sight wifi was absolutely terribly. Not fast, more than 200ms jitter and constantly dropping.

Less than a month ago I spent R800 on a router and now its going to be useless because I cant use it.
We just got you connected on Pure DSL though :oops:

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Hey all

Try to have your neighbors install a second fibre line. where you then connect to.

Cause dude, the pics the guys posted...thats messed up

cavedog

Honorary Master
Try to have your neighbors install a second fibre line. where you then connect to.

Cause dude, the pics the guys posted...thats messed up
Yeah I feel for him wow they did them bad. Very bad. Left Openserve right Vumatel.

fibre.png

SoundRSA

Dealer
What a k@k situation. And here I thought I'm being short changed with getting vumareach. You next best bet would be to wait for 5G then if not already a available.
We dont even have 3G here.

Telkom has sent Hauwei to my house twice to test the signal, once in October 2019 and again in January 2020. They confirmed that I'm in a blind spot from both towers for the area. They said they would install a signal booster. Now in August and still nothing.

I've tried contacting Openserve via mail and Facebook, no response.
I phoned Afrihost and they basically told me that I'm **** out of luck and there is nothing they can do for me.

Many people here in my street are working from home, I myself run an online shop from home part time and work full time as an International Distribution Manager for a large cycling brand.
This will basically cause my business to shut down and prevent me from doing my job, effectively putting me out of work.

Its absolutely ridiculous.

SoundRSA

Dealer
We just got you connected on Pure DSL though :oops:
Yeah, and I'm loving it. Been a flawless connection, constant high download and upload speed, super happy with the product.

A family member actually lives not too far from me, about 1 km, I thought of setting up a line of sight connection. I went onto the roof to check and there is a pre-primary school built directly between us (Curro Castle), so even that option is out.