OpenView HD launched

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
No, they have stated all the e.tv channels will be available in DTT. The only HD channel they offer is e.tv - have you watched e.tv recently? Why would it be any better in HD? They can only carry channels licensed to broadcast in SA, so the only other HD channels they can have are from the companies that already provide content to them - the religious channels, Learn and e.tv, there's no one else. ICASA is licensing a number of new channelhs for DTT, Openview will only carry them if those channels pay them to do so (and why would they do so?) Choosing Openview over DTT will result in you missing out on more channels (unless you want the religious channels which won't be available on DTT). DTT is at most a year away now. I would think Sentech's satellite service will at least be a bit better as it will mirror all DTT channels, if you can't wait. Also DTT is at least R1500 cheaper as you forgot to take into account the installation charge of between R1200 and R1500.
You don't know what you are talking about...

oronte

Expert Member
You don't know what you are talking about...
And why do you think that? Point out with specific examples, because it's ever so easy to make sweeping generalisations. I've read everything that has been written about Openview and I'm quite familiar with SA's broadcast regulations. I may be wrong on the date we'll eventually get DTT, but it will have to be in the next two years at the latest.

Last edited:

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
And why do you think that? I've read everything that has been written about Openview and I'm quite familiar with SA's broadcast regulations. I may be wrong on the date we'll eventually get DTT, but it will have to be in the next two years at the latest.
Almost nothing you said in our post was correct, so you do not have a clue...

oronte

Expert Member
Your ridiculous OVHD installation cost and only one HD channel... You are starting an argument you cannot win. Back off.
From the article that this thread is based on "OpenView HD decoders from Ellies have a recommended retails price of R999. With dish & installation prices range between R1,499 and R1,699." So I was wrong, the minimum installation fee is R1500, not R1200 as I stated.

Only e.tv is HD, even Mybroadband reported this: http://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadcasting/87103-free-openview-hd-channel-list-for-sa-revealed.html

Oh I see, you're trolling. Silly me, I do know how to waste time. I'll ignore you from now on.

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
From the article that this thread is based on "OpenView HD decoders from Ellies have a recommended retails price of R999. With dish & installation prices range between R1,499 and R1,699." So I was wrong, the minimum installation fee is R1500, not R1200 as I stated.

Only e.tv is HD, even Mybroadband reported this: http://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadcasting/87103-free-openview-hd-channel-list-for-sa-revealed.html

Oh I see, you're trolling. Silly me, I do know how to waste time. I'll ignore you from now on.
Decoder has a recommended retail price of R999 and fully installed is around R1599. This means a brand new dish and installation is R600 extra. I am not a troll. I was a guest speaker at an OVHD training seminar the last 2 days and I work for a big player in the industry, who developed a decoder for this service, with my input... eTV, eKasi, eToons and eMovies are in 1080i.

oronte

Expert Member
Decoder has a recommended retail price of R999 and fully installed is around R1599. This means a brand new dish and installation is R600 extra. I am not a troll. I was a guest speaker at an OVHD training seminar the last 2 days and I work for a big player in the industry, who developed a decoder for this service, with my input... eTV, eKasi, eToons and eMovies is in 1080i.
Oh, so you have a vested interest in this product and a good reason to promote it. Now I understand.
Apologies if I got the pricing wrong, the article does not say if it includes the price of the decoder or not. If the other channels are available in 1080i then it certainly hasn't been publicised... anywhere. Which in itself is a bad sign for the future of Openview. As of today they still don't even have a website to tell consumers about the product - all anyone has to go on is what journalists write about it. Thank you for being honest about your motivations for promoting the product though.

Edit: I do see that I'm coming down quite hard on Openview, but after being burned by the many promises of Top TV, I'm a lot more skeptical (they promised HD and PVR services within the first few months and many more new channels). I'm of the firm belief now that one should only buy expensive tech (of any kind) for what it is when you buy it, not what its manufacturer promises to provide down the line. And for me what Openview is today does not justify the cost. That said, I do hope it gets better over the next few months and I personally hope my skepticism is proven wrong.

Last edited:

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
Oh, so you have a vested interest in this product and a good reason to promote it. Now I understand.
Apologies if I got the pricing wrong, the article does not say if it includes the price of the decoder or not. If the other channels are available in 1080i then it certainly hasn't been publicised... anywhere. Which in itself is a bad sign for the future of Openview. As of today they still don't even have a website to tell consumers about the product - all anyone has to go on is what journalists write about it. Thank you for being honest about your motivations for promoting the product though.
Yes, I have a vested interest. I also have a vested interest in DTT, which is not happening anytime soon. I also have a vested interest in Sentech's new sat service, which is going to carry SABC channels. Have you seen the state of the SABC recently?

Do you want me to discredit the rest of your statements too?

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
Edit: I do see that I'm coming down quite hard on Openview, but after being burned by the many promises of Top TV, I'm a lot more skeptical (they promised HD and PVR services within the first few months and many more new channels). I'm of the firm belief now that one should only buy expensive tech (of any kind) for what it is when you buy it, not what its manufacturer promises to provide down the line. And for me what Openview is today does not justify the cost. That said, I do hope it gets better over the next few months and I personally hope my skepticism is proven wrong.
Top TV was working with a short term plan and did everything wrong. I predicted their demise on this forum when they launched, with many people saying at the time, that I must be a DStv employee. I do not think the Chinese can save them. I have a vested interest in their survival too, but...

OVHD is different. They are working with a long term plan. You are probably not in their current target market, but things could and probably will change in the future. Yes, installation is more expensive, but heavy installation subsidies is what killed Top TV. No monthly fees, with a reasonable service (for the target market), is great for some people.