Ordering karoo lamb

abudabi

Expert Member
Want to order a whole one (cut into my choice of cuts) and then have it delivered to jhb.

There seems to be plenty of farms on Facebook and Google doing this. Going rate seems to be about R2k for a 20kg lamb.

Anyone care to recommend based on personal experience?

aybbleek

Expert Member
Maybe drop a message in this thread - someone will know:

abudabi

Expert Member
Still looking.... Found these ones

Farmtohome 110/kg
Madeinthekaroo 120/kg
Karusaf 110-125
Farm foods unknown
Online butler 89/kg.. Website mentions July so not convinced that's current price.

Anyone else? Really keen to get some personal "reviews" from people that have used a supplier. Kom staan nader manne.

Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
If I knew about this thread a week ago I could have helped out. Family is here now with Hantam, but it is all sold out since January already.

You should contact these people and ask if it is possible to deliver to you in Johannesburg,

Just for notice, not all advertised Karoo meat is Hantam. Hantam is very specific to the Karoo.

abudabi

Expert Member
If I knew about this thread a week ago I could have helped out. Family is here now with Hantam, but it is all sold out since January already.

You should contact these people and ask if it is possible to deliver to you in Johannesburg,

Just for notice, not all advertised Karoo meat is Hantam. Hantam is very specific to the Karoo.
Cool, have fired off a mail to them. Let's see what they say.

Thanks

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Cool, have fired off a mail to them. Let's see what they say.

Thanks
If they are unable to assist ask them to make a recommendation, or reference, of someone who can or possibly assist. The drought in the Karoo has limited supply and quality (though it is still the best damn lamb on planet Earth).

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Sorry, missed this thread with all my galavanting around the African sub continent,

On a personal note, I am not a fan of buying a entire "Slagting" , don't like being forced to ise all the cuts... That being said, it's quite popular with the Afrikaaner and coloured folk up here and almost every Tom, Dick and Harry is a smouse or conmected to one.

About five times a year, we manage to secure an excellent price on bulk lamb and manage to swing about 200 beast over the weekend , I cannot recall the last pricing, but will revert. 20 kg seems a bit of a heavy lamb.

for some odd reason, I find lamb that comes from a desert/ Karoo environment tastes way better than the grass fed beast...

This is about all I have to say about this..