P40 Lite - Downgrade to use Google Services?

aubreyk

Hi Guys
I am trying to figure this one out... Anyone have any tips? I can get some older FIRMWARE that is told to work, but I do not quite understand the implication of the C16E in the firmware... Can I load any firmware?

Thank you
cyber7

Norrad

Expert Member
You can't as far as I know as the P40 lite came out after the Huawei mess in the US. The regular P40 and P40 Pro were exempt as they had already licensed them before the issues. I wouldn't risk trying to install other firmware on it.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
But why would you want/need to?
The fiancee's P40lite works perfectly using HMS, and a couple of direct apk installs via Apkpure. All in all she doesn't miss GMS one little bit. Everything just works as is.

cavedog

Honorary Master
But why would you want/need to?
The fiancee's P40lite works perfectly using HMS, and a couple of direct apk installs via Apkpure. All in all she doesn't miss GMS one little bit. Everything just works as is.

My p40 lite 5G is perfectly fine without GMS.

Just use the web shortcuts for for stuff like photos ect. Use MS Edge for browser Apk pure for the rest of the stuff. I play league of legends wild rift and works well.

I'm happy with the Huawei P40 Lite 5G. Amazing phone and the supercharger I like it A LOT!

Normal cable charge, quck charge 2.0 and 3.0 works well or the best option Supercharge withthe included charger head.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
My p40 lite 5G is perfectly fine without GMS.

Just use the web shortcuts for for stuff like photos ect. Use MS Edge for browser Apk pure for the rest of the stuff. I play league of legends wild rift and works well.

I'm happy with the Huawei P40 Lite 5G. Amazing phone and the supercharger I like it A LOT!

Normal cable charge, quck charge 2.0 and 3.0 works well or the best option Supercharge withthe included charger head.
Yup. I'm upgrading this year, and if Samsung do drop the Note range, Huawei is probably what I'll get now.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Yup. I'm upgrading this year, and if Samsung do drop the Note range, Huawei is probably what I'll get now.

I still have my S10 so I decided to just get the P40 lite 5G for well 5G and as a backup to what I have not but I'm using it more and more and the Samsung feels like a backup now.

There is no way I will be paying close to 1k a month for 36 months for the S21. Phones are getting WAYYY too expensive.

solantis

So what apps dont work on the Huawei? YouTube, Gmail, google maps?

Can I install the APK files or would they still need google services to work?

cavedog

Honorary Master
So what apps dont work on the Huawei? YouTube, Gmail, google maps?

Can I install the APK files or would they still need google services to work?

Gmail and Google Maps does not work.

For Youtube I use Youtube Vanced which works really well on the Huawei.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Any recommendations on a map app?

You can still use google maps. Install it via apk pure or just the .apk manually. Since you don't have GMS you can't sign in and some features that require you to be signed in is obviously not available but navigation works without any issues that I have noticed.

I don't think it's that big of an inconvenience but it is what it is without GMS.

Last edited:

solantis

There are some tutorials on YouTube on how to get GMS to work on most Huawei devices, does that not work on the P40 lite?

SYNERGY

Executive Member
You can't as far as I know as the P40 lite came out after the Huawei mess in the US. The regular P40 and P40 Pro were exempt as they had already licensed them before the issues. I wouldn't risk trying to install other firmware on it.
Incorrect. There are multiple tutorials on on web/Youtube.

GMS works fine on it.

Nereus77

I have a P40 Lite.

I miss GMS for sure, but I simply access all Google stuff in Opera or whatever browser.