Paragon Partition Manager 8.5 help

Tejen

I tried to partition my xp drive with this piece of software.It prompted me to restart so i did ,then i was taken to a progress screen ,about 5mins later it froze so i restarted my pc.The problem is it won't boot into windows any more.The error is
Ntfs could not load disk(0) or something to that effect.
I tried chkdsk but that tells me that the drive does not exist so now i don't know what to do.Anyone have any ideas?

Conradl

Expert Member
Did you create a recovery disk? If so boot using that and recover the partition. If you did not, then try download Hirens Boot CD: http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd, boot from it and use one of the disk options to repair the disk.

How did you run Chkdsk? From another machine? Did you repartition your Boot/system disk?

Tejen

Did you create a recovery disk? If so boot using that and recover the partition. If you did not, then try download Hirens Boot CD: http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd, boot from it and use one of the disk options to repair the disk.

How did you run Chkdsk? From another machine? Did you repartition your Boot/system disk?
yep it was the boot disk.I tried to run chkdsk from another hdd but windows wil not pick up the disk but the windows installation cd reads the disk as being completely empty.

Conradl

Expert Member
OK, then from another PC, run Hirens boot disk, or your partition manager (if it has a repair option) and do a fix. The problem here is that the Partition is damaged, which is why Windows can't see it. A repair utility will recognize the damaged partition and attempt to fix it. You will probably still be able to get your info back too....

Tejen

OK, then from another PC, run Hirens boot disk, or your partition manager (if it has a repair option) and do a fix. The problem here is that the Partition is damaged, which is why Windows can't see it. A repair utility will recognize the damaged partition and attempt to fix it. You will probably still be able to get your info back too....
thanks will try that when i download the boot cd.

Tejen

Ok so i made a boot disk using paragon boot utility and i managed to recover the partition ,so nw i get the volume label ,size ,file system(ntfs) and free space ,however i stil cannot boot to the drive and chkdsk tells me that it cannot directly open the volume ,which means it cannot be checked for errors
I hav tried a number of recovery utilities to get the data off but most wont read the drive and the very few others says the drive needs to be formatted.
I also tried vistas boot cd and the chkdsk utility on that tells me that the file system is raw and cannot be checked.
Anyone have any ideas how to work around the above problems or at least a way to get the data off the drive.

Conradl

Expert Member
Ok so i made a boot disk using paragon boot utility and i managed to recover the partition ,so nw i get the volume label ,size ,file system(ntfs) and free space ,however i stil cannot boot to the drive and chkdsk tells me that it cannot directly open the volume ,which means it cannot be checked for errors
I hav tried a number of recovery utilities to get the data off but most wont read the drive and the very few others says the drive needs to be formatted.
I also tried vistas boot cd and the chkdsk utility on that tells me that the file system is raw and cannot be checked.
Anyone have any ideas how to work around the above problems or at least a way to get the data off the drive.
Then the problem is slightly worse, the MFT is totally gone.... You will need to get a dedicated data recovery program, I have never used Hiren for data recovery, so cant comment on its effectiveness.

I use easy recovery from ontrack:http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/file-recovery-software/; but there are free versions available: http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/datarecovery.shtml.

Whichever program you choose, make sure that it can recover data from damaged partitions, and not just deleted files from an NTFS or FAT partition (since you have no partition).