Pargo delivery service tested

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Pargo delivery service tested

After reading several articles about Pargo expanding in South Africa and increasing its ecommerce delivery market share, we decided it was time to put the service to the test.

Pargo describes itself as a smart logistics company that makes it easy for online shops to get parcels to their clients.

konfab

Honorary Master
I wish Takealot supported Pargo.

What they have done is decentralised the concept of a post-box.

quovadis

Expert Member
For some reason I thought they used a locker-type system. The Amazon Locker delivery is by far the best delivery experience besides a traditional delivery and using the lockers for returns is amazingly convenient.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Used them for the first time last year on a bidorbuy order. Worked perfectly. No frills. No fuss. Tracking worked. Cheap. Reminds of the days the post office worked.

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
For some reason I thought they used a locker-type system. The Amazon Locker delivery is by far the best delivery experience besides a traditional delivery and using the lockers for returns is amazingly convenient.
I also thought it would be a locker system, but when i arrived at the petrol station across the road here i had to go inside and the cashier called the manager who then went to a back office to collect my parcel.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
I also thought it would be a locker system, but when i arrived at the petrol station across the road here i had to go inside and the cashier called the manager who then went to a back office to collect my parcel.
Had a similar experience a year or so ago. If I remember correctly it was delivered at Clicks in a local shopping center and they also had someone who went to the back and collected it.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
I bought from Raru and used Pargo. Was the cheapest option and what's nice is that I don't have to worry about where I'll be on delivery. Can just pop by the point on my way to the shops when it has arrived. Biggest annoyance is that it has taken a few seconds to pick open the one parcel (from BoB), but the one from Raru took a proper 10 minutes waiting time, so it's a gamble on the pickup location's service.

Swa

Honorary Master
The R55 is the only option I see and I get R55 discount. The "Big package" only activates where Pargo would have previously not have been an option?

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Staff writer said:
... we were asked to sign for the order on a small smartphone with our finger – which ended up looking more like a child drawing a snake during an earthquake...
:D Everytime. Even when Mr D asks me to sign for the TakeAlotOfMyMoney parcel.

Dan C

Honorary Master
5-15kg. Though it's more about volume so a lot better than what it used to be when you could only order small items.
So a frozen turkey will just make the lower price.

Reactions: Swa

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The Pargo fee was R139 :eek:
If you were to order something small like Cocaine for example, it would be a lot less.
Pargo charges around R8 for each kg over the 5kg you get for the initial R86 fee. So hiking the price massively isn't very fair to customers, as the cost doesn't necessarily spike much for the sender. That said, a 15kg order will cost around R166, so it's a good deal for a large order. Pargo customers who send a lot get better pricing too.