Payment gateways

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a payment gateway for a subscription based product. It should accept credit card at the least with the lowest transaction fees. I see that Stripe isn't available in SA. PayFast seems ok but the transaction fees seem like it could be lower.
Anyone have any practical insight to share?

ronald911

Expert Member
Following this thread.
I need to find a subscription based payment processor that bills in USD.
I'm using Paddle at the moment, but their fees are really high. Paypal is probably a close option but their API is quite a nightmare.
I've used Stripe on an EU based client's website & it was an absolute dream working with it.

At least, it would've been nice if Payfast / Mygate gave me the option to bill in USD.

_kabal_

Expert Member
There are no South African payment gateways the take non-ZAR.

PayPal’s redirect based payment api is as simple as any other redirect solution

HennieWelkom

PayPal is good but you need an FNB account to get money from your PayPal account to local funds, they also ask a flat rate of 3% for the currency conversion. What is neat is with QuickBooks you can send auto invoices with integrated PayPal payment.

What is also useful is you can use the money in your PayPal account to buy goods internationally if you want some value and do not want to pay the 3% conversion fee.

I would not recommend FNB and PayPal. Paypal works best out of south africa since they offer VISA Cards, in south africa SAGE would be the best! Try other options including SID, VCS etc...

I decided to sign up with PayFast but it turns out that they do not have an api to manage subscriptions.
The users of my app need to be able to pause and resume subscriptions themselves. PayFast requires me to login to my PayFast dashboard and manually pause a subscription.

Anyone know if this can be done with other gateways?
I have made inquiries so am awaiting feedback from other providers.

Jade @ ZA Domains

ZA Domains representative
Company Rep
I would recommend pay fast for subscription based payments / adhoc.
Payfast’s signup process is fast and simple and their documentation is up to scratch - additionally they have quite a few add on modules.