PC Vendor Warranties

wikus

I'm not as clued up about PC vendor warranties as I'd like to be.

My hard drive has been replaced two times in less than a year by the PC vendor I bought it from.
I was told I have a 5 year warranty on the HDD when I initially purchased it but the PC vendor has shortened their warranty period (referred to as swop-out warranty period) to 3 years a few months after my purchase.

Do I have a 5 or 3 year warranty on my HDD?
And what does a swop-out warranty mean in terms of hard drives? Does it effectively mean that the hard drive can be swopped out for a new one if it's broken and if it is still in the warranty period?
Also, does the warranty period start over if the HDD is replaced?

wikus

Doesn't anyone have any knowledge/experience regarding warranties?

VanZan

Warranties is often open to interpretation by the vendor. When the salesperson wants your money you will be promised the earth and the moon. When the item breaks the warranty department will sing a very different tune and refer you to the terms & conditions on their website or the fine print on a poster behind the door or some other C&B story. Had a similar experience with Esquire recently regarding the Seagate HDDs with faulty firmware. Best advice I have is not to stop arguing and follow the chain of command to the top if you know you are right.
The warranty conditions at the time of purchase remains valid for the duration.
If it is replaced (free of charge) in the warranty period, the warranty period stays the same as from the original date of purchase. Some vendors do extend IF they trust their product.
Swop-out is suppose to be immediate (usually after testing to verify it is faulty and not abused etc) since HDD can not be repaired. (AFAIK)

wikus

Thanks for the info.

I was told my HDD is EOL (end of life) and I will receive a HDD with a greater capacity the next time it needs to be replaced ;) fantastic

Just hope it doesn't break again as it is major hassles to return it for replacement every time

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Sounds like you had a Seagate hard drive - they shortened the warranty from 5 to 3 years around a year ago.

wikus

Sounds like you had a Seagate hard drive - they shortened the warranty from 5 to 3 years around a year ago.
Yip. From Esquire.
Luckily I purchased it last year so my warranty is valid 'till 2013

Hogrod

Expert Member
Would you guys not recommend Western Digital instead, they have 5 year warranty?