People are scared to fly SAA

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

South African travellers are reluctant to fly with South African Airways, according to local travel agencies.

The national airline cancelled multiple flight routes in recent weeks, which meant it had to refund regional and international travellers while providing alternative flights for domestic travellers on Mango Airlines.

Rabobi

Executive Member
Cancelling flights will be what cause their final demise. Nevermind the flights running at a loss, the overall impression it created will forever be remembered. People will now simply fly another airline without even thinking twice

Well done SAA, well done

garp

Executive Member
Who would willingly pay to fly on an airline that could cancel at any time and for which you can't get travel insurance? Domestic is bad enough, but the chance of getting stranded at some international destination without even being able to get your ticket money back is just not worth it.

Jola

Honorary Master
Had a look at direct flights to London.

Virgin is cheaper. Would never choose SAA over Virgin at a higher price. Did take luggage costs into account.

Superman-7

Flew SAA last year to New York (direct). Was a fair bit cheaper than the next best option which was layover. Can't say I'd do it again with everything that's happened in recent months. Willing to pay more for peace of mind. Sad state of affairs but this is the product of corruption and maladministration, and should not shock anyone, not even Cyril.

Go_Getter

South African travellers are reluctant to fly with South African Airways, according to local travel agencies.

The national airline cancelled multiple flight routes in recent weeks, which meant it had to refund regional and international travellers while providing alternative flights for domestic travellers on Mango Airlines.
SAA is beyond rescue.

Time to privatise.

RuhanSA079

ANC/Government wil nie hoor nie. We don't need a state owned airline. There is enough airlines that can do the job efficiently, and not lose money.
Just let it die, now...

zophas

We should have a sub-forum just for SAA related stuff. Maybe make some for the other SOE's that we will soon be discussing.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
last time I checked "scared" was not a synonym for "too smart"

people are pretty f-ing dumb in general, but they have grown wise to the f-up that is SAA, avoiding the steaming turd is simply a logical, smart, choice, it has f-all to do with "fear"

Tman*

Expert Member
last time I checked "scared" was not a synonym for "too smart"

people are pretty f-ing dumb in general, but they have grown wise to the f-up that is SAA, avoiding the steaming turd is simply a logical, smart, choice, it has f-all to do with "fear"
I came here to comment this. I flew to west Africa last week. SAA was an option. I wasn't "scared" to fly SAA. I just chose not to support corruption

jambai

It’s your patriotic duty to not fly saa . In the same way they can never force you to employ people the results of their bad policies must be felt .....even if takes longer than what a 12 year old could work out

RuhanSA079

I think the headline should read: "People reluctant to fly SAA", atm it sounds a bit click-baity...

"Scared" just sounds wrong, "afraid" sounds better.
Scared/afraid should be used in context, where "if an SAA" plane fell out of the sky, or SAA planes not airworthy, etc.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Looks like the chickens are finally coming home.

Painful times ahead, but this needs to happen. The idiots at the helm have had years to sort this mess out but for whatever ideological and personal (corruption, cadre deployment, looting, etc) reasons they refused to correct the course.