Perform a seamless SSD upgrade from an existing HDD

TJ99

Honorary Master
To be honest, copying my existing data is literally the last thing that would keep me from buying an SSD. They should rather do something about those bat**** insane prices.

Almost 15 grand for a 512GB hard drive? :wtf: I know, I know, they're really really fast, but 40 times the price? Come on, who are we kidding?

zamicro

Expert Member
Hey Jan. How about at least some info on the 3 different types/categories... Some of us has very limited internet at the office ;)

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
As long as one's current hard drive has less data on it than the maximum capacity of the SSD one is upgrading to, the cloning procedure is usually quite automated.

The chances of that are negligible.

aekritzinger

hopefully by my next laptop refresh SSD will be more "standard" in higher end laptops.....

Avenue

Expert Member
ill wait for these to come down in price. What I would like to see is a comparison of the speed so that when you say they are fast, we can get a feel for what you are talking about. As TJ99 said, @15,000 it had better be a hell of a lot faster.

hammell

There is such a small market for SSD drives at the moment that I don't think articles like this have any point. We all know they're faster, but at that price? Stupid really...

eljay

32gb will suffice

I recently bought a 32gb SSD to try it out in my system and decided to reinstall rather than migrate my Win7 and what a pleasure... I've got the std Win 7 Ent x64 and Im left with approx 6.5gb free space and it runs as you would expect.... lightning fast, no lag, and dare I say faster startup times than a comparable spec'd mac. You just need to remember to install all other programs to another drive.

So, if you have the spare cash, I would definitely recommend the upgrade, because I for one, cant stand the slow startup times on my pc....

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Just no way I could go the SSD route at those prices. I am happy to "make do" with my HDD for as long a it takes. Besides I see no real reason to move just yet.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
There is such a small market for SSD drives at the moment that I don't think articles like this have any point. We all know they're faster, but at that price? Stupid really...

as you said, it's not like we doubt that it'll make a difference ... it's just that the price difference isn't worth it

MightyMuffinMan

Expert Member
64GB 2.5" SATA stand-alone SSD R 1 325

Same price you can get a 2GB 7200 rpm seagate external from take2, wtf.

GreyBush

Executive Member
My 90GB is getting delivered today(so stoked), defos doing a fresh install. And there are lots of article on how to do this with free software...just google. Its a bit more complex than just duplicating the drive.

And as eljay says SSD's are meant to only have OS and frequently used Apps/games installed. Can't see anyone buying a 512mb SSD.