Polymathic
Honorary Master
- Joined
- Mar 22, 2010
- Messages
- 33,669
- Reaction score
- 14,747
Maybe 5 minutes at 180C would crisp them up?Yes, makes sense, wondering how the retail versions get that crispy. Some googling to be done on my part I think![]()
![]()
South Africa’s biggest forum. Discuss, discover, and connect with thousands of members.
Maybe 5 minutes at 180C would crisp them up?Yes, makes sense, wondering how the retail versions get that crispy. Some googling to be done on my part I think![]()
![]()
Maybe 5 minutes at 180C would crisp them up?
Yes, makes sense, wondering how the retail versions get that crispy. Some googling to be done on my part I think![]()
![]()
Anyone know if this is a thing? Any particular XL unit(s) to avoid? Sick of our Defy oven devouring all the electricity as it is wont to do...I bought a Philips XL in April. The inside metallic area started rusting in various spots. Anyone else had/has a rust issue?
My previous smaller airfryer, which I had for more than 3 years, never had that issue.
You should add a smiley to your round chipsOkay, this is how the veggie chips are after a further 4 hours while I was sleeping. They're not crispy and that's likely because I should have been around to bag them when the 4 hours were up. All very tasty, if somewhat chewy. I'm throwing them back in for 2 hours just because I can and because maaaaaaaybe I'll get the crisp I'm after
View attachment 1224026View attachment 1224028View attachment 1224030View attachment 1224032
I bought a Philips XL in April. The inside metallic area started rusting in various spots. Anyone else had/has a rust issue?
My previous smaller airfryer, which I had for more than 3 years, never had that issue.
Not at all. Only wear and tear I've got was from one moment of idiocy when I used a cook n spray on the basket which I need to replace because that ****ed it up. I've always hand washed mine...Anyone know if this is a thing? Any particular XL unit(s) to avoid? Sick of our Defy oven devouring all the electricity as it is wont to do...

Nope, no issues with the XL. Over 2 years old now and used very frequently.Anyone know if this is a thing? Any particular XL unit(s) to avoid? Sick of our Defy oven devouring all the electricity as it is wont to do...
Lovely. Anything to choose between the different XL models or are they much of a muchness? I've learned from this thread that if you're looking for an airfryer, you're choosing between the different Philips ones - no point looking at the other brands.Nope, no issues with the XL. Over 2 years old now and used very frequently.
The XXL is a revision of the XL and not about sizing. That is what I've gathered when I googled it to death. But you are going to pay for that extra X on its name. Mine was about 3200 ZAR on a black Friday with a voucher where as it's normal pricing is about 4k when it is not discounted but "marked down" or going for 5-6K depending where you look. The cheapest I've recently seen was on avo.africa (nedbank's "takealot") for about 3600.Lovely. Anything to choose between the different XL models or are they much of a muchness? I've learned from this thread that if you're looking for an airfryer, you're choosing between the different Philips ones - no point looking at the other brands.
Not much of a difference in size, like @hj2k_x said above.Lovely. Anything to choose between the different XL models or are they much of a muchness? I've learned from this thread that if you're looking for an airfryer, you're choosing between the different Philips ones - no point looking at the other brands.





Anyone know if this is a thing? Any particular XL unit(s) to avoid? Sick of our Defy oven devouring all the electricity as it is wont to do...
Luckily for us you're our Guinea Pig for that product.Turns out the best thing to do re veggie chips with an airfryer.... is air fry them
A very well rated "recipe" stated 20 minutes at 360F so I did 15 minutes at 180C, and a further 5... which I cut to 4 minutes when I could smell burning starting. This thing has power. But, there is ostrich to be braaied and haloumi skewers to be made, so that's all my playing for this weekend, folks.
View attachment 1224258View attachment 1224260View attachment 1224262View attachment 1224264
Luckily for us you're our Guinea Pig for that product.![]()
We haven't seen you making any toast in itHappily so![]()
![]()
Looks good, but I honestly think that it's better (and far less trouble) to deep fry them.Turns out the best thing to do re veggie chips with an airfryer.... is air fry them
A very well rated "recipe" stated 20 minutes at 360F so I did 15 minutes at 180C, and a further 5... which I cut to 4 minutes when I could smell burning starting. This thing has power. But, there is ostrich to be braaied and haloumi skewers to be made, so that's all my playing for this weekend, folks.
View attachment 1224258View attachment 1224260View attachment 1224262View attachment 1224264
Looks good, but I honestly think that it's better (and far less trouble) to deep fry them.
We haven't seen you making any toast in it![]()