Philips Airfryer - anyone have?

leutwein

WE have one for last couple of months, really a great product, especially if you have kids

Loopin

Basically the contents are (evenly) grilled. So yeah, you could probably stick a steak in or some vegetables and they'd come out fine. I get the impression that it can bake as well. So basically most dry heat cooking methods (roasting, baking, grilling). You could probably bake au bain marie (for pâtés / terrines) but size limitations would make it tricky.

My oven at home is fairly small (it's like a 60cm x 60cm built in convection oven), and grilling in it is really easy. I can sort of see how it could be handy if you have a big oven (or no oven?) ... but otherwise it's fairly redundant.

I'm more or less completely opposed to deep frying (it's expensive, unhealthy and in my opinion you can usually get better tasting food using another cooking method), but I wouldn't buy one of these. Just more clutter in the kitchen. :-/

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
yep I have had one for about 6 months now and it is awesome!

I have cooked in it

steaks
chops
chicken
pies

I bought it basically to replace my oil fryer for chips. I must say that I still have not been able to get my chips to the same way as doing it in an oil fryer (used both frozen chips and potatoes) but I think it is just a matter of time until I crack the almighty secret to it. It does make great potato wedges in it. I basically put the potato wedges into a bowl pour a little bit of oil on top of them add paprika, salt, black pepper and origanum and mix it well till the spices and oil cover all the potato wedges and then put them in the airfryer at 180 degrees for about 12 -15 minutes. yum yum

I must say I am very happy with it.

extra bonus is the components inside are all dishwasher safe so clean up is easy

Dolby

Honorary Master
Thanks guys.

Thought they were R1,599.00 ... actually R2,099 ... :/

Executive Member
Thanks guys.

Thought they were R1,599.00 ... actually R2,099 ... :/
On sale today at Hirsch's online store for R1 399 (delivery will be under R200 if you're in an area where you can't collect).

Makro have it "on sale" for R1 599 (which is the same price it has always been, so I'm not sure where the reduction from R1 799 suddenly happened...)

Not sure where you're seeing it for R2 099...

Billy

Expert Member
Our Best Buy of 2011. However we did buy the baking tray from UK. Not available here. In this you can cook cakes, pies, and other dishes that require containment.

Used it at lunchtime to re-heat pizza pieces, perfect much better than using a conventional oven, and cheaper on electricity.

Chips need practice. My daughter has them to a fine art using oil from a spray bottle and she played with the temperatue until they are now perfect, crisp on the outside and soft inside.

Buy one, you won't regret it.

ponder

Honorary Master
Used it at lunchtime to re-heat pizza pieces, perfect much better than using a conventional oven, and cheaper on electricity.
:wtf: Are you insane? Nothing beats cold pizza!!! :D

I've purchased pizza before and put it straight into the fridge, it's best!

Grimspoon

Executive Member
That looks pretty nifty. I must say I can't stand cranking up my oven every night to cook, they chew electricity. This looks like a good alternative. Especially when cooking for the kids.

RandomGRK

Expert Member
Does it only fry? (I guess so since it's called the airfryer lol). Today o was pan frying some chicken breast and the little bit of olive oil I added was going all over the place. Now I have a huge mess to clean.

Can the airfryer just cook the chicken, as opposed to making 'fried'?

Grimspoon

Executive Member
On sale today at Hirsch's online store for R1 399 (delivery will be under R200 if you're in an area where you can't collect).

Makro have it "on sale" for R1 599 (which is the same price it has always been, so I'm not sure where the reduction from R1 799 suddenly happened...)

Not sure where you're seeing it for R2 099...
Makro's site is listing it @ R2099.

Hirch's have it for R1249 on special. . . . . But only in Lavender *puke*

Loopin

Does it only fry? (I guess so since it's called the airfryer lol). Today o was pan frying some chicken breast and the little bit of olive oil I added was going all over the place. Now I have a huge mess to clean.

Can the airfryer just cook the chicken, as opposed to making 'fried'?
Frying is cooking fat. What this machine does is grills (but it can also bake)...

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
Nice, but we already have a thermo fan oven so no use for us. But must ad that food cooked this way tastes just so much better than deep fried oily food.

techead

Honorary Master
wtf air fryer my ass

more marketing rubbish that ppl fall for...

its a griller :D