Philips Airfryer - anyone have?

ponder

Honorary Master
Sucka fool, Mr-T endorses the Flavourwave turbo oven :D

Haldex

Expert Member
Asked my mom, we actually have one, brand new in the garage. Will try it out later on a samoosa! :)

Executive Member
http://www.makro.co.za/p/45735/philips-airfryer/ <<<< there

I'll go into store.

I think as a single guy, it's pretty nifty

Quick, none to low amounts of oil and half the electricity usage of a stove

Like I said, I was at Makro on Sunday and that wasn't the price I saw...

Tell me about it - I heated the oven up earlier to cook one piece of fish. This Airfryer would be a lot better for these little things.

Asked my mom, we actually have one, brand new in the garage. Will try it out later on a samoosa! :)

I was curious about whether it would work for samoosas. I somehow doubt it will... but I'd be interested to hear how it went, so please post :)

ponder

Honorary Master
I was curious about whether it would work for samoosas. I somehow doubt it will... but I'd be interested to hear how it went, so please post :)

From what I've heard they make bloody good samoosas (without all the oil & grease), pies, sausage rolls etc.

Loopin

In middle eastern and Greek cuisine they have awesome starts called boreks. They're basically phyllo pastry filled with an appropriate filling (spanakopitas are spinach, feta and onions) and then baked with a pretty fatty egg wash (often something like just yolks + oil / butter).

My point is, use phyllo pastry fold into a triangle and bake. Will be better than the deep fried version. Obviously google how to work with phyllo pastry... if you don't know how to.

Executive Member
In middle eastern and Greek cuisine they have awesome starts called boreks. They're basically phyllo pastry filled with an appropriate filling (spanakopitas are spinach, feta and onions) and then baked with a pretty fatty egg wash (often something like just yolks + oil / butter).

My point is, use phyllo pastry fold into a triangle and bake. Will be better than the deep fried version. Obviously google how to work with phyllo pastry... if you don't know how to.

No, it won't. I know how to work with phyllo and do use it a lot. It does have many great applications, but it is not and never will be an adequate samoosa pastry replacement. You're just making a mini kreatopita or a borek with mince.
Do it right or don't do it :p

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Is the food not dry?

Also wondering this. Especially if you are cooking meat / chicken.

Nope the food is not dry. The first time I made chicken drumsticks I was impressed. the chicken itself was juicy and succulent but the skin actually came out quite crispy. But like any cooking, if you leave it in to long it will dry out.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Chips need practice. My daughter has them to a fine art using oil from a spray bottle and she played with the temperatue until they are now perfect, crisp on the outside and soft inside.

Buy one, you won't regret it.

Nice must try the oil in a spray bottle trick! Can you maybe ask her what temperature she cooks the chips at? so I can give it a try :D

Naks

Executive Member
Ever since I saw the launch clips, I've wanted one. :)

Loopin

No, it won't. I know how to work with phyllo and do use it a lot. It does have many great applications, but it is not and never will be an adequate samoosa pastry replacement. You're just making a mini kreatopita or a borek with mince.
Do it right or don't do it :p

I dunno. The real flavour comes from the filling (and accompaniment if served with one), I stand by idea. :-(

RandomGRK

Expert Member

There's no onion in a spanakopita. But Ja, phyllo would make a great alternative in my opinion.

Loopin

I don't doubt that some variations might not include onion, but certainly all of the ones I've made / eaten have had onion. :-(

RandomGRK

Expert Member
I don't doubt that some variations might not include onion, but certainly all of the ones I've made / eaten have had onion. :-(

Possibly, its just that ive grown up eating spanakopites and tiropites and I've never tasted onion in an original spanakopita made by granny in Greece or mom in SA...or by any of the 8billion aunts. ;)

Sho, I'm getting hungry now.

Executive Member
I dunno. The real flavour comes from the filling (and accompaniment if served with one), I stand by idea. :-(

You've obviously never made the samoosa pastry from scratch :D
Maybe I've been spoiled, but phyllo does not work as a replacement. It's just not the same.
And the SO doesn't really like phyllo :p

Loopin

I rarely make pastry, mainly because the pâtissier makes it all for us. :-3

I'll maybe have to make puff pastry for a pie every now and then. I've made phyllo pastry once, but it's worse than decorating cake (worst job ever). Most restaurants I've worked at buy phyllo.

AniV

Expert Member
The Philips Air Fryer was one of the Product of the Year Winners last night at the 2012 Awards ceremony.
Before now I had never heard of the Air Fryer. I'm going to investigate.

Grimspoon

Executive Member
The Philips Air Fryer was one of the Product of the Year Winners last night at the 2012 Awards ceremony.
Before now I had never heard of the Air Fryer. I'm going to investigate.

There is an awards ceremony for kitchen utensils? :wtf:

Keeper

Honorary Master
So are french fries nice and crispy & tasty, or just bland moosh?

Grimspoon

Executive Member
Bought one of these today and based on my first meal I am more than impressed.

Cooked some chicken nuggets and some oven chips and they came out damn well. 20 minutes and they were done to perfection. Couldn't have done it better or easier any other way.

Tomorrow night I am going to probably do some chicken schnitzels with something. Can't wait. Never in all my years have I gotten excited about cooking, this is a first.

Best part of all is you chuck all the bits into the dishwasher, no scrubbing required.