PHP & mysql assistance for website

Shelldon

Hi all

I'm not sure that I can post this here, but if it's in the wrong place, let me know and I'll move it thanks.

For the last few months or so I've been trying to learn PHP in order to code a website. I've managed to get probably about 50% of the way in thanks to online courses and YouTube video's, but am starting to hit complications that I certainly don't have the skills to deal with.

So I'm wondering if there is anyone skilled in website development, specifically PHP and mysql that would be willing to sit down with me and go through my code and identify errors, or perhaps even point out better ways of doing things. I'm developing on a local machine using XAMPP.

I am building this website on a nonexistent budget but I would be more than willing to pay for someone's time, either an hourly rate or day rate.

I would prefer the person who is available be in the Durban area (as I am) so that we could meet face to face.

Thanks all

Last edited:

NullHypothesis

If you don't come right here, try the Treehouse PHP course, it's a bit more newbie friendly and practical than YouTube vids like those from TheNewBoston. It has a 7 day free trial (which won't be enough to finish the course) then it's $25 a month for a basic account. You can ask questions below each video or in the forum. That course has some SQL basics as a primer but they do have some more database courses as well.

Shelldon

Thanks for the advice NullHypothesis. I actually did the treehouse course as well as followed the videos on TheNewBoston which is basically why I've managed to get as far as I have. But what I'm trying to do now is definitely higher grade compared to my skill level. I think if I were able to sit down with a developer it would be easier since I could ask questions and get immediate feedback.

I must say I have had a few offers already, it's absolutely fantastic that people are prepared to give up some of their time to help.

jonno_081

Hi...

What are you battling with? If you posted more info here you may actually get help through this forum. Also don't forget about tech Q&A forums like stackexchange.com

John

Lord Nikon6

Expert Member
Hi...

What are you battling with? If you posted more info here you may actually get help through this forum. Also don't forget about tech Q&A forums like stackexchange.com

John

+1. stackexchange is a great resource, I still use it at least once a week.

Shelldon

Thanks all for the replies.

My difficulties right now are more about semantics than anything else I guess. For example, I know that I should encrypt passwords using MD5. But now I've read that this is not a good method anymore, and that I should use SALT and password_hash. I understood the MD5 but I have no idea about the SALT part.

It's little things like that that I'm struggling with.

_kabal_

Expert Member
in a simple implementation, salt is just a prefix/suffix that is added before hashing.

$password = password123
$salt = 6h%hfgjkl56FDGwerhd$vwhatever

$hash = hash('MD5/SHA256', (password+salt));

The salt is always the same

NullHypothesis

@OP

Seeing you are struggling with semantics, after picking up the basics you should look at learning a MVC framework like Laravel to give some structure to your code.