Pirates will also get free Windows 10 upgrade

Ridolfc

Expert Member
Piracy could become old news if all these major corporations relook the way they distribute their products. Microsoft seems to have an idea.

Pitbull

Verboten
So legit people pay, Pirates get it for free?

Not that I pay, I get legit keys from work :p

ebendl

Expert Member
Error in article - it says Windows 10 will offer free upgrades for a year after it releases in Jan 2015.

bigboy529

Expert Member
I think it's a good move on Microsofts part. I think they are also doing this partly to get people off Windows 7, vista and even XP, I mean if you can get a free upgrade and you don't take it you are very very stupid. People on xp will be able to download a pirate copy of 7 or 8 just to get the free legit upgrade to 10.

Pitbull

Verboten
I think it's a good move on Microsofts part. I think they are also doing this partly to get people off Windows 7, vista and even XP, I mean if you can get a free upgrade and you don't take it you are very very stupid. People on xp will be able to download a pirate copy of 7 or 8 just to get the free legit upgrade to 10.
I only changed from XP to Windows 7 a year ago :eek:
Only reason was some games were giving me issues not running them on Windows 7. XP was very good

whatnot

So in effect, Windows 10 is free for a year. Fantastic :D

What about the people running the windows preview builds ? Are we gonna have to install a legit/pirate copy of windows to get the free windows 10 ?

Pitbull

Verboten
So in effect, Windows 10 is free for a year. Fantastic :D

What about the people running the windows preview builds ? Are we gonna have to install a legit/pirate copy of windows to get the free windows 10 ?
Ok wait... So free only for a year?

LOL, ok then.

WieDie

Free for the lifetime of the device, on condition that you upgraded to it in the first year since release.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Piracy could become old news if all these major corporations relook the way they distribute their products. Microsoft seems to have an idea.
Not a new idea.

Apple did it two years ago already , realizing that the money is in the Appstore not the OS.

So legit people pay, Pirates get it for free?

Not that I pay, I get legit keys from work :p
everyone is getting it for free.

It's now a "platform" not an OS any more and that's why it's going to be free.

Except Enterprise there I expect a pricing model for some additional features and I think the 1-year thing applies to them more specifically.