Plane Spotting in Cape Town

PseudZ

Expert Member
Does anyone know of any decent spots in Cape Town where one can see passenger planes landing/taking off? The airport used to have a viewing deck years ago but after the redesign you have to sit in Spur to vaguely see the planes.

The areas around the airport are really not safe enough to linger around either.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
OT but I think the loss of viewing decks hurts airports with custom. They are trying to make them shopping hubs ( King Shaka even has special parking on weekends for shoppers and restaurant patrons ). A decent viewing deck would increase customer traffic.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Indeed. I will be going back to Lanseria to watch planes soon. Want to go on a Saturday morning and just sit there on their deck for a couple of hours and have something to munch. It is just a pity that Lanseria only really has 737's coming in to land and some smaller private jets. :(

spiff

Expert Member
used to sit at the top bloemendal restaurant with my radio and listen to approaching aircraft as they make contact with ATC, but the restaurant is closed now :(

Last edited:

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Not sure how up close and personal you're hoping to get, but when they approach from a NW direction landing into the south-easter, they come in nice and low on final approach over Tygerberg Hill. Might be able to find a place there somewhere to watch.

PseudZ

Expert Member
Was thinking Tygerberg hill would be the best bet - possibly even on top of the hill. Would have preferred to see them landing/taking off but it seems almost impossible to do so now.

Cape Town seems to get all the major aircraft as well, apart from the A380.