PlayStation 5 - Everything we know so far

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
PlayStation 5 - Everything we know so far

Many gamers are eagerly anticipating the launch of Sony's next-generation gaming console - The PlayStation 5.

The company has dominated the current generation of consoles with the PS4, selling more than 100 million units since its launch in 2013.

LaraC

Honorary Master
By 2021 SARS will ensure that you pay a premium for luxury goods. :rolleyes:

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Unless Sony announces their version of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, I'll be picking up the Xbox Series X over the PS5 initially. The level of value will vastly surpass that of the PS5 if Sony does nothing.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Unless Sony announces their version of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, I'll be picking up the Xbox Series X over the PS5 initially. The level of value will vastly surpass that of the PS5 if Sony does nothing.

You mean value as in so many games available you will not ever play?

No thanks. I would rather play amazing exclusives that keep me entertained for many, many hours. And days.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
You mean value as in so many games available you will not ever play?

No thanks. I would rather play amazing exclusives that keep me entertained for many, many hours. And days.

Ye I've heard of this game pass but personally Sony has done an excellent job at pushing exclusives out year after year.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Ye I've heard of this game pass but personally Sony has done an excellent job at pushing exclusives out year after year.

As far as I understand it, it's like steam sales where you can get hundreds of games for next to nothing. But you just don't play many of them.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The Game Pass is insane value and it's nothing like a collection of old crap.

- All first party titles, incl. Minecraft, Age of Empires, Halo, Gears, Forza etc.
- It had The Outer Worlds at launch
- It got Metro Exodus and Rage 2 shortly after the Epic Store. Still has them.
- Random hits like GTA V, Doom, Monster Hunter World, Pillars of Eternity, Untitled Goose Game, A Plague Tale, Cities: Skylines, all the Tomb Raider games, all the Batman games, all the Middle Earth games, all the Wolfenstein games, all the Life is Strange games and loads more.
- Easy access to fun couch co-op games, like Overcooked 2, almost all the Lego games, Riverbond, Tekken 7 and other fighting games, sports games like F1, PES, NHL, Madden, fishing and Ashes Cricket
- A good selection of kids games, which is a bloody godsend if you have small kids, nieces and/or nephews
- It's excellent if you have kids of any age and gets you off the hook for needing to buy games.

You could very easily spend no money at all beyond what is included in the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate.

Just the PC component of it (Xbox Game Pass Ultimate is 3 things in 1: Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Game Pass for PC and Xbox Live Gold) comprises the vast majority of the games I've played in the last few months. And I cannot flippen wait for Age of Empires 4, Flight Simulator and the next Forza.

No one disputes the quality of games like God of War and Uncharted, but unless you're Mr Money Bags or play very little, Xbox craps on PlayStation right now for value. My PS4 Pro has a thick layer of dust and hasn't been turned on for a year probably. So unless Sony announces their own awesome alternative to Game Pass Ultimate, just buy a PS5 late in its life cycle and get its exclusive games on the cheap. I did that with PS4 and those games are the only ones I played. And the only ones I really enjoyed were Horizon: Zero Dawn and God of War. And Horizon is coming to PC btw.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
No one disputes the quality of games like God of War and Uncharted, but unless you're Mr Money Bags or play very little, Xbox craps on PlayStation right now for value. My PS4 Pro has a thick layer of dust and hasn't been turned on for a year probably. So unless Sony announces their own awesome alternative to Game Pass Ultimate, just buy a PS5 late in its life cycle and get its exclusive games on the cheap. I did that with PS4 and those games are the only ones I played. And the only ones I really enjoyed were Horizon: Zero Dawn and God of War. And Horizon is coming to PC btw.

I don't see why Sony would bother with an alternative. A 106 million PS4 consoles sold since launch compared to 40 million XBox consoles says they're doing much better. I have no idea about PC sales though, so I can't comment on that.

Not saying I'm Mr Money Bags, but I can comfortably pay R1000 a game on release day.

Splinter

Honorary Master

-/snip

Shew. So much talking about so little. Anyway, each to their own.

I know here I will be spending my money.

Splinter

Honorary Master
I don't see why Sony would bother with an alternative. A 106 million PS4 consoles sold since launch compared to 40 million XBox consoles says they're doing much better. I have no idea about PC sales though, so I can't comment on that.

Not saying I'm Mr Money Bags, but I can comfortably pay R1000 a game on release day.

Even with the Xbox pass thing (which obviously cost them huuuge money), the PS4 console totally outsold the xbox.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

Why does it matter which console performed better this generation? Nintendo wins if it's a competition, so we should all just play cartoon games and get rid of everything else?

Microsoft has committed to its gaming division in a huge way, and I'm perfectly happy to take advantage of the incredible value they've created.

Obviously personal tastes have to be considered before all else or you'll end up with something that is great for others but not so great for yourself. I personally didn't enjoy the Uncharted games very much, didn't finish more than 3 hours of Spiderman and found large parts of God of War to be a major slog. Horizon: Zero Dawn was the only first-party title for PS4 that I thought was amongst the best games I've ever played. Every other one I could have done without, although the God of War story was pretty epic (which I'd have infinitely preferred a film about).

Whereas I have spent insane hours in Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5 and various Game Pass games that I wouldn't otherwise have played. So for my tastes, the Xbox ecosystem has simply been more fun. I have an XB1, PS4 and gaming PC on my desk - the only one that never gets touched is the PS4.

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member

- All first party titles, incl. Minecraft, Age of Empires, Halo, Gears, Forza etc.
- It had The Outer Worlds at launch
- It got Metro Exodus and Rage 2 shortly after the Epic Store. Still has them.
- Random hits like GTA V, Doom, Monster Hunter World, Pillars of Eternity, Untitled Goose Game, A Plague Tale, Cities: Skylines, all the Tomb Raider games, all the Batman games, all the Middle Earth games, all the Wolfenstein games, all the Life is Strange games and loads more.
- Easy access to fun couch co-op games, like Overcooked 2, almost all the Lego games, Riverbond, Tekken 7 and other fighting games, sports games like F1, PES, NHL, Madden, fishing and Ashes Cricket
- A good selection of kids games, which is a bloody godsend if you have small kids, nieces and/or nephews
- It's excellent if you have kids of any age and gets you off the hook for needing to buy games.

You could very easily spend no money at all beyond what is included in the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate.

Just the PC component of it (Xbox Game Pass Ultimate is 3 things in 1: Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Game Pass for PC and Xbox Live Gold) comprises the vast majority of the games I've played in the last few months. And I cannot flippen wait for Age of Empires 4, Flight Simulator and the next Forza.

Will take over the ps4 pro to play some bloodborn

Priapus

Executive Member
I currently have an Xbox One S, I have had the original, Xbox and the 360. I have Game pass; and I agree with the statements here. Sure, loads of games on there. But I just don't play them all. I downloaded two games, Forza and Mortal Combat. Both great games.

I'll still be picking up the PS5 when it launches as it will also be my second PlayStation that I have owned. Had the PS One many moons ago.

Both platforms have their strengths and thus I just pick which one appeals to me most. This time round its the PS5 and I'll keep the Xbox One S for the games I do play on it. I may even get the new Xbox if there is something on there that appeals to me, like Forza 8 if that is a thing next year.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I currently have an Xbox One S, I have had the original, Xbox and the 360. I have Game pass; and I agree with the statements here. Sure, loads of games on there. But I just don't play them all. I downloaded two games, Forza and Mortal Combat. Both great games.

I'll still be picking up the PS5 when it launches as it will also be my second PlayStation that I have owned. Had the PS One many moons ago.

Both platforms have their strengths and thus I just pick which one appeals to me most. This time round its the PS5 and I'll keep the Xbox One S for the games I do play on it. I may even get the new Xbox if there is something on there that appeals to me, like Forza 8 if that is a thing next year.
Xbox One S will be able Xbox Series X titles so you won't be missing out. How can you till which console appeals to you more when there's virtually no official data on both consoles?