Please give me a value for a second hand Apple Mac G5

Cybermoo

PostmanPot,

That machine takes DDR PC3200 400Mhz memory. I do suggest that you get Mac specific memory for the machine to make it run more stable. You can get in contact with me if you like to get pricing and availability of this...

The Machine as it stands I would say you could fetch a good R6,500 - R8,000 for it.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Is there really any market for a PPC iMac any more?

syntax

Executive Member
Is there really any market for a PPC iMac any more?

not really, they are not bad, but i would not buy it...
if ur gonna sell it, drop it for a bargain, because in a few months it is gonna be really hard to get rid of.

Cybermoo

U will be surprised. Working in an Apple Centre you do not realise how many queries we get for PPC equipment. Not because the client does not know the product, it's because they are die hard fans of PPC. For a startup Designer, Load Leopard, upgrade to 2GB of memory, load CS3 Photoshop and I'm pretty sure it will be a decent machine.

Just don't expect it to design a 15m x 15m poster that you hang on the side of a skyscraper. I'm talking about simple design work... :)

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
PostmanPot,

That machine takes DDR PC3200 400Mhz memory. I do suggest that you get Mac specific memory for the machine to make it run more stable. You can get in contact with me if you like to get pricing and availability of this...

The Machine as it stands I would say you could fetch a good R6,500 - R8,000 for it.

Thanks for this reply.

Regarding performance, would people into media (hobby/job/studying) be interested?

*edit*

Didn't see this:

U will be surprised. Working in an Apple Centre you do not realise how many queries we get for PPC equipment. Not because the client does not know the product, it's because they are die hard fans of PPC. For a startup Designer, Load Leopard, upgrade to 2GB of memory, load CS3 Photoshop and I'm pretty sure it will be a decent machine.

Just don't expect it to design a 15m x 15m poster that you hang on the side of a skyscraper. I'm talking about simple design work... :)

Thanks.

Last edited:

vespax

Expert Member
I recently sold a 5 year old iBook G4 on eBay. Fetched $250 for it. Not too bad considering how long I used it and I paid $1000 new for it. There are lots of people buying older macs all around. Have a quick look in eBay under your specs to see what they are going for.

Sell now, the longer you wait the less you'll get. Unless you want to use the machine still.

VertigoZA

I have a 1ghz PPC 17" Powerbook.. 1GB Ram and leopard, and it still crunches away like a champ!

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
I recently sold a 5 year old iBook G4 on eBay. Fetched $250 for it. Not too bad considering how long I used it and I paid $1000 new for it. There are lots of people buying older macs all around. Have a quick look in eBay under your specs to see what they are going for.

Sell now, the longer you wait the less you'll get. Unless you want to use the machine still.

That's less than R2000 :eek:

What were its specs?

Cybermoo

PostmanPot, I might have a buyer for you. She will try join the forums early next week to get in contact with you. It's a student from Vega.

Question: What is the reason for you selling your Mac, are you upgrading to a better one or have you done so already?

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
PostmanPot, I might have a buyer for you. She will try join the forums early next week to get in contact with you. It's a student from Vega.

Question: What is the reason for you selling your Mac, are you upgrading to a better one or have you done so already?

I would appreciate that.

Ideally, I would like to sell it to someone in that industry.

My client wants to sell the Mac and rather get a good laptop.

So it's not actually mine, but I have seen and examined it. :)

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
The only complaint about my 1.33GHz PPC Mini is that I can only stick 1GB of RAM in it. I've thought of trying a 2GB ECC/registered dimm in it, but it's a lot of money to spend on something that might not work, and I'm not having any luck finding information on it.

As far as performance go, the only things that are slow on it are Azureus and OpenOffice (because they're not code optimised for PPC) and Photoshop CS3 takes a long time to load but is usable once it's open. For the rest it's pretty responsive.

Cybermoo

Koffiejunkie, That particular Mac Mini that you have can only take 1GB's of PC3200 DDR400Mhz memory. The Logic Board does not have the ability to read ECC/registered memory.

I see the Mac Mini to be an Administrative machine that does, word, excel, email etc.. never really thought of using it as a Design machine at all. How does Photoshop run? Can you do pretty hectic work on it or are you constrained to doing smaller things?

I love telling this story, We had a Mac skeptic come into our store the one day and wanted to know why does Photoshop run better on Mac than Pc? I told the guy that it's not that it runs much more faster, its that it's more stable, more reliable and yes in some cases it can run faster because Apple works it's software on a Hardware level, i.e. very little or no drivers. Still this did not please him. He wanted to bring in his state of the art Windows Notebook and compare speeds etc... I welcomed the opportunity. :)

Anyways, we did not really have a demo Macbook pro that matched his ub33r l33t Windows Machines spec for spec. it really was a decent Windows Machine, besides the fact it ran Windows :/ We had an entry level Macbook pro First generation with 1GB's of memory. I thought it would be an interesting test.

We fired up both machines into Photoshop CS3, opening a 600MB Layered PSP file that he had prepared and Cropped the picture, inverted the colors and ran a Gaussian Blur on both machines at the same time.

The Loading bar popped up... Now time was of the essence... The Windows machine pulled in the lead and after about 10 minutes it was about half way, The mac about 30% through. Just before we thought the Windows machine would win being at 75% the Mac shot through to about 90%. Now they both stood for a while, about 5 minutes doing nothing. The Windows machine popped up an error and quite Photoshop whilst the Mac continued crunching through numbers for another 10 Minutes +-

Felt so good telling the guy that the reason why Mac is so much better, is because it GETS THE JOB DONE!

:)

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
In lieu of getting a new mbp this year I'm just upgrading mine. Yesterday I upgraded the ram to 3gb (2x 2gb) and next week I'll be upping the hdd to a 7200rpm drive. I dont do much in the way of heavy lifting these days - 90% of what I'm doing is photoshop/aperture - so that should suffice.

I may replace the keyboard too - I've worn off a few keys :eek: