Plex Thread

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
I love Plex, I've been using it for so long I don't even remember what year, at least 10 years of pretty much daily use.

I remember it wasn't available on Windows yet so I installed it on a hackintosh netbook.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Last edited:

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Just bought the full license about a month ago. Decided not to allow plex server to do any transcoding even for remote clients. Running on a small SFF PC.

Somehow, even though remote access is setup , according to Plex server, I can't access my files even the small 480p ones remotely. I have a full ubiquiti setup so unsure if I need to open anything else or if maybe win10 firewall on Plex server is dropping remote traffic. Any clues ?

Another oddity, is while I am on home network and use the Plex app on my mobile phone to watch content , even the 4k is shown on my old 3 year old phone (which doesn't have a 4k screen) with no lag or jitter. Plex not doing transcoding. How is this possible?

dualmeister

Honorary Master
I used to have a monthly Plex pass so that I could use the multi user account option so that my daughter could have her own user account and content. Was not worth it.

So now I have Plex setup for me and she uses Emby. PC runs both Plex and Emby Server side by side.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I think you are replying to some one else ?

I have the server on a PC in the back, that part is great. The main issue now is that when I want to stream from any of the apps it floods me with all their own streaming content and I just want to see my own pirated content :p

I have no interest in any of the other content that Plex offer, I just want to see everything I have loaded on the plex server. Its like quite a bit of work to find out that it can't see or connect to your server.

Oh I misinterpreted your statement.

That’s easy though. Just remove the source from Pins and you won’t see it again.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Basically instead of using Windows Explorer to find what they want to watch, use Plex which has indexed the drives.

Yea but where does the problem come in exactly? What part of it isn’t working?

Did you add the folder to the Library etc?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I used to have a monthly Plex pass so that I could use the multi user account option so that my daughter could have her own user account and content. Was not worth it.

So now I have Plex setup for me and she uses Emby. PC runs both Plex and Emby Server side by side.

Lifetime pass is the only way that ever made sense to me.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

WebOS 3 not supported.

Yeah seems it’s one of those TV’s that just missed the modern window.

Are you sure you can’t forward though? On mine I need to press up to go to the progress bar and then I can move it around.

Plex Version 5.9.2
Platform 3.8.0

krycor

Honorary Master

So managed users (users under your plex user/pwd) has been a thing for a while now. I use to have a sub, likely the same thing + downloads a while a go but currently it’s just standard build with managed users and shared lib via other plex accounts.

The value offering after managed users come in to free offering and internet upload speed was fast enough to negate remote downloads (was useful when u had a slow upload) just wasn’t there.

Now I see they have monitoring platform too which is nice.. but again I look at cost and I’m not sure it’s worth it tbh. I do suffer some fomo when I think back to the cost of buying(lifetime) years ago vs current pricing. Meh.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Yeah seems it’s one of those TV’s that just missed the modern window.

Are you sure you can’t forward though? On mine I need to press up to go to the progress bar and then I can move it around.

Plex Version 5.9.2
Platform 3.8.0
I tried the auto update, but says no update for your device.

deesef

Expert Member
Just bought the full license about a month ago. Decided not to allow plex server to do any transcoding even for remote clients. Running on a small SFF PC.

Somehow, even though remote access is setup , according to Plex server, I can't access my files even the small 480p ones remotely. I have a full ubiquiti setup so unsure if I need to open anything else or if maybe win10 firewall on Plex server is dropping remote traffic. Any clues ?

Another oddity, is while I am on home network and use the Plex app on my mobile phone to watch content , even the 4k is shown on my old 3 year old phone (which doesn't have a 4k screen) with no lag or jitter. Plex not doing transcoding. How is this possible?

I had to open Port 32400 on my ubiquity edgerouter x to get remote access working

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
I had to open Port 32400 on my ubiquity edgerouter x to get remote access working
I had also done that and only then did plex controller say 'remote access enabled'

But when I triex to actually play the content remotely there was an error . Browsing content and signing in was working remotely

Edit :
Lo and behold tried to take a screenshot of the error today to include in the post and the bloody thing is working.

Only difference was that Plex controller was upgraded on the weekend .

#Happy Days. Now I can watch TV at work.

deesef

Expert Member
I had also done that and only then did plex controller say 'remote access enabled'

But when I triex to actually play the content remotely there was an error . Browsing content and signing in was working remotely

Edit :
Lo and behold tried to take a screenshot of the error today to include in the post and the bloody thing is working.

Only difference was that Plex controller was upgraded on the weekend .

#Happy Days. Now I can watch TV at work.
I fixed it for you. You can at least say thanks

deesef

Expert Member
Everyone also uses Tautulli right, any cool must have or fun settings you use?
I downloaded it to try. It gives a bit more information than Plex Dashboard, but it does not seem to have enough "wow" factor to warrant using in parallel with what is already available to premium Plex users.

It is also downright disappointing that it's not possible to export the available usage data from Plex Dashboard to Tautulli.