Porsche Taycan

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New Porsche Taycan: tech insight into the brand's first all-electric car

An all-electric Porsche? I have to pinch myself as I climb into the Porsche Taycan for my shotgun ride around the carmaker’s Düsseldorf test track. Is this a sign the electric-vehicle (EV) revolution has truly started? There is not much time to philosophise before the Porsche test driver mashes the accelerator and my head snaps back against the headrest. The 1 050 N.m instantly delivered to all four wheels is enough to churn one's intestines. The first corner approaches fast and the pilot flicks the car into an almighty drift that would make Ken Block proud: four wheels spin fiercely and the car almost slides in reverse because of the excessive slip angle. Somehow, the Taycan straightens out and the ferocity of the acceleration hits home once more. Yes, this is a hyper-performance, eerily silent Porsche…

The technical workshops preceding the track experience gave me the opportunity to spend time with the key development engineers responsible for this ambitious project and learn what it took to create an electric sportscar worthy of that famous crest on the nose.

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
As sexy as this car is, surely 70% of a Porsche's appeal is the screaming Flat 6 engine?

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New Porsche Taycan: we spend 16 minutes with the design boss

Mr Michael Mauer is the chief designer at Porsche and the person ultimately responsible for the styling of all models in the Zuffenhausen-based firm's range. A day before the unveiling of the Taycan, we had a walk around the new all-electric model with him. Here are some highlights from our conversation.

Please share with us some of the challenges you and your team faced with the design and development of the Taycan.

“This was a radical change for Porsche. There was, for example, no predecessor. We have a very clear design philosophy. First of all, it is brand identity; it doesn’t matter what drivetrain is fitted – flat-six, V8 or turbodiesel – it must be immediately recognisable as a Porsche.

“For these types of car, there is no question that the batteries must be in the floor. The centre of gravity in this car is lower than in a 911; I remain impressed with how this car goes around a corner.

“But as a Porsche it must always be the sportiest car in the segment with the best proportions; this means you run into a challenge with a car like this. It is easy to put the batteries in the floor and put the passengers on top and then you end up with an SUV – building a sports car with this concept was a real challenge.

“The result that we have is the ‘foot garage’ for the rear-seat passengers, so their seating position is similar to a standard sedan, followed by the front passengers, [who] have a seating position similar to that of a 911.

“In my eyes, we have really defined the proportions of these type of cars. For us, the width-to-height ratio is very important. The car has several typical Porsche elements like the low front hood with the high fenders. Towards the rear, we have the greenhouse tapering into the shoulders. The numberplate has been placed very low in the functional area just above the diffuser.

“Then there is the light band, which is more for me than just a tail light. It has recently become part of Porsche’s design language. As the designer of Porsches, you need to take a lot of time and put emphasis on the rear of the car. Here you can see the power of the car with the wide shoulders and all the lights."

Snip.JPG

Anthro

Expert Member
Call me crazy, but I would remove that "Turbo" Badging so quick after buying this.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Tesla CEO Musk taunts Porsche for using ‘Turbo’ badge on Taycan

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has taken a swipe at Porsche for using the “Turbo” badge on its new all-electric Taycan.

The SA-born Musk took to Twitter to call out the Zuffenhausen-based firm after the reveal of the new four-door electric sports car, which will count the Tesla Model S as one of its chief rivals.

“Um @porsche, this word Turbo does not mean what you think it does,” the 48-year-old tweeted.

Despite employing a permanently excited synchronous electric motor on each axle, the first two derivatives in the new range are badged as the Taycan Turbo and Taycan Turbo S.

Musk later tweeted: “Model S on Nürburgring next week”.

justplain

Expert Member
as this starts at over 100,00 Pounds, this is easily going to cost R2 bar base.
I reckon 2.5 million easy for any optioned car. That is farking expensive.
Pretty slick looking though. I'd have one. Come on Euromillions, COME ON!!!

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
An Extremely Detailed Look At The Porsche Taycan's Engineering Designed To Take On Tesla - Jalopnik

Porsche’s first fully electric car is here, and depending on who you ask, it could be the most serious competition the Tesla Model S has faced yet.

It’s called the Porsche Taycan, and it is an all-electric sport sedan promising up to 750 horsepower, acceleration from zero to 60 mph in 2.6 seconds, and a fast-charging 800 volt battery with 280 miles of range based on the European WLTP cycle.

I spoke in detail with Porsche’s engineers about this electric powerhouse, and I learned it’s a wild piece of technology unlike any Porsche that’s come before it.

Here’s everything you wanted to know, and probably some stuff you didn’t know you wanted to know.

Read the full in-depth article at the link below:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
An Extremely Detailed Look At The Porsche Taycan's Engineering Designed To Take On Tesla

Porsche’s first fully electric car is here, and depending on who you ask, it could be the most serious competition the Tesla Model S has faced yet. It’s called the Porsche Taycan, and it is an all-electric sport sedan promising up to 750 horsepower, acceleration from zero to 60 mph in 2.6 seconds, and a fast-charging 800 volt battery with 280 miles of range based on the European WLTP cycle.

I spoke in detail with Porsche’s engineers about this electric powerhouse, and I learned it’s a wild piece of technology unlike any Porsche that’s come before it. Here’s everything you wanted to know, and probably some stuff you didn’t know you wanted to know.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Mercedes-AMG chief admits the new Porsche Taycan 'sets the bar'

Mercedes-AMG CEO Tobias Moers has admitted the new Porsche Taycan “sets the bar” for all-electric performance vehicles.

He made the comments to carsales.com.au after Mercedes-Benz’s Affalterbach-based performance division confirmed its own plans to build an electric model.

"Taycan sets the bar, that's for sure," Moers said.

However, he opted not to talk about performance figures and suggested it was “too early to say” when the first all-electric AMG-badged model would launch.

For the record, Porsche’s flagship Turbo S version of the Taycan generates up to 560 kW of “overboost power” (and a whopping 1 050 N.m), sprinting from zero to 100 km/h in a claimed 2,8 seconds and topping out at 260 km/h.

nazmo

I actively ignore Electric vehicles. I know its a matter of time they will be the standard and im not looking forward to it. Granted, in ZA, eskom might delay that a bit :p

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The Porsche Taycan's Engine Sound Costs $580

Just because the US government is mandating that your electric vehicle has to have detectable engine noises doesn’t mean some automakers won’t be using engine noises to make a quick buck. Case in point: the new Porsche Taycan, which offers a legitimate mp3 of engine noises as an option... if you’re willing to spend $580.

Yes. This is, in fact, the society we live in. Just because people are opting more and more for electric cars doesn’t mean they’re willing to give up their vroom vroom just yet.

You can find this option on Porsche’s Taycan configurator under the Performance section. How an mp3 can be deemed ‘performance’ is beyond me, but

All things considered, $580 isn’t hugely expensive as an option for a hundred thousand dollar-plus car. But it’s still hilarious to realize that we now live in a society where people are willing to shell several hundred dollars to hear their car make noise.

Taycan.png