Port Forwarding & DMZ for PS4

Kappie 17

Hi All,

I've been trying to open the following ports on my Tenda AC18 router for my PS4 connection, without any luck;

TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480
UDP: 3478, 3479

CISP is my ISP, on Openserve's network (200Mbps/100Mbps).

I have made my PS4's IP a static address, and enabled UPnP in addition to attempting to forwarding these ports (via the Virtual Server section on my router's UI). Side note: my router's UI only allows me to specify the following: Internal IP (the static PS4 IP), LAN Port (?), WAN Port (?), and Protocol (TCP, UDP, or TCP&UDP). What would I need to specify wrt the LAN and WAN Ports, respectively?

Also, because my "public", internet-facing IP is in fact the IP address of the Nokia ONT provided by Openserve, as opposed to my router's IP, am I correct in assuming that I would need to setup DMZ on the ONT (or at least have Openserve do so, if even possible), in order to successfully open said ports? How would one go about resolving this?

Thank you in advance.

Virtual Server.png

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Your internet facing device is your router not the ONT, this is where your PPPoE account is setup yes?

Kappie 17

Yes, but whatismyip is identifying my IP as the IP of the ONT, not my router. My PPPoE account is indeed setup on my router.

DYreX146

The internal IP should be your PS4's IP that you set, and then the LAN and WAN ports should be set as the port you want to forward. The ports on the LAN and WAN for each rule should be the same, then just create a new rule for each port you want to forward. Example:

Internal IP AddressLAN PortWAN PortProtocol
192.168.0.1958080TCP

I'm also on Openserve with CISP on a TP-Link router and this is how mine looks:
1596010988257.png

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
So both the LAN and WAN port will be the same. The Tenda unfortunately does not allow a range like the old D-Link adsl modems which was actually really cool.

Just add the rules for each port individually and the TCP&UDP for each to help reduce the number or rules. The Tenda is very simple when it comes to forwarding and should easy to get those ports open.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Yes, but whatismyip is identifying my IP as the IP of the ONT, not my router. My PPPoE account is indeed setup on my router.

What is that IP if I may ask?

Openserve ONTs do not give a local IP. When connecting directly to the ONT you will not get a 192. or 10. IP.

Kappie 17

The internal IP should be your PS4's IP that you set, and then the LAN and WAN ports should be set as the port you want to forward. The ports on the LAN and WAN for each rule should be the same, then just create a new rule for each port you want to forward. Example:

Internal IP AddressLAN PortWAN PortProtocol
192.168.0.1958080TCP

I'm also on Openserve with CISP on a TP-Link router and this is how mine looks:
View attachment 883048
Thank you very much, this is exactly how I have configured it.

Kappie 17

What is that IP if I may ask?

Openserve ONTs do not give a local IP. When connecting directly to the ONT you will not get a 192. or 10. IP.
The external IP begins with 155. My router's IP begins with 192.

Kappie 17

So both the LAN and WAN port will be the same. The Tenda unfortunately does not allow a range like the old D-Link adsl modems which was actually really cool.

Just add the rules for each port individually and the TCP&UDP for each to help reduce the number or rules. The Tenda is very simple when it comes to forwarding and should easy to get those ports open.
Upon checking whether said ports are open (https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/), it checks whether the ports are open on the "155" IP, not that of my router.

EDIT: even still, it is not recognizing any of the specified ports as being open.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Upon checking whether said ports are open (https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/), it checks whether the ports are open on the "155" IP, not that of my router.

Yes because your public ip 155. can be seen by the internet the lan ip not. Hence the WAN and LAN port numbers in your rules needs to be the same. It will forward those wan ports from the wan ip to the lan ip opening the port to your device.

Kappie 17

Yes because your public ip 155. can be seen by the internet the lan ip not. Hence the WAN and LAN port numbers in your rules needs to be the same. It will forward those wan ports from the wan ip to the lan ip opening the port to your device.
That is correct, yes. I have configured the Virtual Server accordingly (see attached). However, the ports are still not open according to the online checker (which is still checking those ports on the 155).

Virtual Server_2.png

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
That is correct, yes. I have configured the Virtual Server accordingly (see attached). However, the ports are still not open according to the online checker (which is still checking those ports on the 155).

View attachment 883054

Windows firewall might be blocking them so don't trust that. Rather check directly on the device in question in the respective games.

Also where are you checking the ports? On a separate PC? Remember that PC's IP will not be the same as the PS4 IP address.

DYreX146

View attachment 883054
Even when I open one of my ports that website says that it's closed, so I'm pretty sure yours should be working.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Have you tested putting the PS4 into the DMZ on the router and see what it reports?

Kappie 17

Windows firewall might be blocking them so don't trust that. Rather check directly on the device in question in the respective games.

Also where are you checking the ports? On a separate PC? Remember that PC's IP will not be the same as the PS4 IP address.
I've checked these ports on the website, both on the actual PS4 and my laptop - none of the ports are open on either, though.

Kappie 17

Have you tested putting the PS4 into the DMZ on the router and see what it reports?
I have just tried this, but the ports are remaining closed (at least according to that checker). I'm not entirely sure how I would be able to tell if it has worked - all suggestions welcome, thank you :)

Kappie 17

My router is only allowing me to specify a maximum of 4 forwarding rules, so I have left out TCP 3480. Any chance having one of these rules missing, is causing the issue?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I have just tried this, but the ports are remaining closed (at least according to that checker). I'm not entirely sure how I would be able to tell if it has worked - all suggestions welcome, thank you :)
Did you test this using your PC or the PS?

Kappie 17

Did you test this using your PC or the PS?

I’ve tested this on both now, neither are recognizing the port as open. I also checked the same on both clients using my router’s IP, as well as my PS4’s IP (which is static) to no avail.