Port Forwarding on Fibre not working

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
I used to do port forwarding all the time on ADSL and never had any issues as it's as simple as falling out of a tree. However, I am doing the exact same thing on fibre and it just isn't working as intended. I have disabled both my firewall and antivirus, still no go, restarted router, tried "All IP Addresses" as well as my specific IP address, but still doesn't seem to be working.

Network is Metrofibre.

Router is Calix 844G-2.

Is there an extra step on fibre I should be aware of in order to do a simple port forward?

My port forward:
1546001194518.png

And then the result:
1546001176797.png

Any advice would be appreciated.

chrisc

Executive Member
You'll have to enquire with your ISP. I had a similar problem getting a DVR signal out via fibre. The next day it worked, as it had been with ADSL

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
You'll have to enquire with your ISP. I had a similar problem getting a DVR signal out via fibre. The next day it worked, as it had been with ADSL

Thanks. I sent them a mail a few hours ago but nothing so far, so assuming they're not really "working" this time of year. Do you know what your ISP did to fix it?

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Got a reply - they created a public IP for me and it works now:

1546003916845.png

Curious, though - what is the difference between the new public IP I had, and the new public IP they created now?

sajunky

Honorary Master
Got a reply - they created a public IP for me and it works now:

View attachment 597078

Curious, though - what is the difference between the new public IP I had, and the new public IP they created now?
I guess, they run out of the public IP addresses. Private address should work the same way, but they may set different firewall rules for private IP. I have open ports on my connection with a private IP (it changes randomly when reconnecting), no problems.

With a private external IP you must be aware of one problem. When using some public services router need to know a real Internet IP, it cannot assume that external Interface IP is a legal Internet address it can advertise. Most typical applications (like port forwarding) do not require such precaution, it is why I think problem is with routing internal IP's on your ISP.