Powerline with Neighbour

ld13

Honorary Master
Looking to share my internet with the parentals next door, but due to the positioning of the telkom cable and the accompanying wifi router, the wifi barely covers one room next door. A repeater/WDS will end up repeating the weak 1 bar signal and is not the route I would like to go. Simply lying a cable is the easy way out and is also not the way I want to go.

I was reading up a bit over powerline technology and was wondering if anyone had any comments about using it to connect neighbouring houses? On this forum and on the internet the general consensus seems to be that powerline tech only works ok-ish if the plug is connected to the same single phase DB but will not work beyond that DB. But I have also found a few cases on the interwebs where people were complaining about being able to access/pick up powerline devices of neighbours where the block of houses were eg. sharing the same trunk or whatever the case might be.

I was hoping to have that same 'problem'... :D

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Chances are good that it won't work. I wouldn't even bother and just go ubiquiti

Seriously

Honorary Master
Only if both houses are on the same electrical phase could there be some possible chance. So I doubt.

qDot

Expert Member
I have looked in to this before and I think it it depends whether or not you and your neighbour share the same phase on the line that supplies power to your units/houses.

If you are on different phases then your only hope is a phase coupler http://bfy.tw/Dnd3
The question is, will you have access to the main DB to setup the phase coupler

airborne

Honorary Master
Get a decent AC class wifi routers as the base and repeater, around R1k last I looked for Tplink on Takealot etc.