PreBuilt "Softaculous" script vs building from scratch in .NET MVC

deliengs

Hi Everyone,
Was hoping someone could assist with a project that I am working on. Not sure if I should go with a pre-built PHP script or from scratch .NET MVC.

This is for a very specific e-commerce setup. After showing the developer the script, he mentioned that it is built using PHP frameworks and that with the way its built and the changes needed it will most likely be cheaper in the long run to develop it in .NET (MVC) from scratch which he is proficient in, he also mentions it will be much quicker.

Any advice on which is the best option?

Pho3nix

The Legend
He wants to charge you per hour and milk you side ways.
Mind sharing the script to we can advise further?

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Maybe he is not proficient in PHP.
Consider getting a second opinion from a PHP developer.

deliengs

Actually he was gonna charge a sclpecfic amount for the entire site.

He is actually more of a .NET developer but works with teams so they provide roughly anybsolute

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
Actually he was gonna charge a sclpecfic amount for the entire site.

He is actually more of a .NET developer but works with teams so they provide roughly anybsolute

Perhaps you should consider looking for a PHP dev instead. PHP is more widely used than .NET on the internet and you will find much more resources, both and free, as well as more developers for it.

As said above, perhaps you could tell us the script (even if in a PM) to get a second opinion?

flippakitten

Expert Member
Depending on what the script looks like, he might be correct on the cheaper to rebuild it part.

That being said, if it's build ontop of a PHP framework, chances are it's fine and he just wants to charge more because he doesn't understand the technology.

I've never heard of a PHP developer suggesting .net.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
It'll be "quicker" <- now that's a BS reason to give a client. Even if it is true we are talking microseconds per transaction and the CPU of the server you are hosting on will have a much bigger impact than the language.

Walk away, the guy wants to charge you for development. At the very least get a second and third opinion.

Last edited:

deliengs

Thanks for all the advice. I actually had a look on the scripts forum and they’ve actually mentioned that they want to develop v2 of the script to be easier to mod as well.

gkm

Expert Member
It'll be "quicker" <- now that's a BS reason to give a client. Even if it is true we are talking microseconds per transaction and the CPU of the server you are hosting on will have a much bigger impact than the language.

Walk away, the guy wants to charge you for development. At the very least get a second and third opinion.

I suspect the dev means quicker in terms of development time. If the rest of the site is already in .Net, then I can understand how it would be quicker to re-implement a minor script in .Net, rather than trying to host a parallel PHP environment just for that script and battling with possible data integration. Obviously, without more information, this is all just speculation.

deliengs

I suspect the dev means quicker in terms of development time. If the rest of the site is already in .Net, then I can understand how it would be quicker to re-implement a minor script in .Net, rather than trying to host a parallel PHP environment just for that script and battling with possible data integration. Obviously, without more information, this is all just speculation.

Thats exactly what he actually meant. Look its for a very simple auction type of site which will have a very specific use. Been doing some research and for some reason .net comes up quite good.

With the PHP script I would have to kind of reply on the forum and updates etc I guess. Looks like the PHP script is built on the laravel framework from the investigation i've done, not a developer though so I could be wrong..

Hamster

Resident Rodent
That makes more sense

envo

Expert Member
Wordpress + Woocommerce = E-Commerce done.

Better support in the long run and you get a lot of plugins for them and developers who are proficient in both.

A Developer who advises you it would be quicker to build from scratch (ignoring the fact he wants to go .NET just because he knows it best), usually knows that just trying to modify the script you gave him is going to take longer than building from scratch.

I worked for a company who wanted "off the shelf" and 3 years later was still customizing the source. So he has a point. My first sentence / recommondation should take care of all your needs.

Having said that, as the owner of the company/his employer/paying him for a service, you need to dictate your own technology stack and rather work with someone who can do the job without boxing you in with whatever he is proficient at.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
Hi Everyone,
Was hoping someone could assist with a project that I am working on. Not sure if I should go with a pre-built PHP script or from scratch .NET MVC.

This is for a very specific e-commerce setup. After showing the developer the script, he mentioned that it is built using PHP frameworks and that with the way its built and the changes needed it will most likely be cheaper in the long run to develop it in .NET (MVC) from scratch which he is proficient in, he also mentions it will be much quicker.

Any advice on which is the best option?

I think you know the answer.